Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Our prospects are overrated for the most part

Maybe by some in the Devils board but around the league my impression is they are underrated. Look at the commentary of Smith in the various Canadian WJC threads. People made plenty of ugly comments about him. Before the WJC some FIN posters left Talvitie completely off their roster projections. I don’t see Boquist being talked about in terms of how he might compare to a Lindblom on PHI who wasn’t EP but was very good in the SHL as a young player a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Blender

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I’m not convinced that Provorov and Chychryn would be significant needle movers this season. Provorov is struggling this year according to PHI fans and it’s not as if Chychryn seems to be doing much to elevate AZ in the standings. Yes they both have wonderful potential but they’d both probably be roughly in he same spots in NJ and we’d be complaining about their foibles.

Provorov is having a real tough season, Chychryn is interesting I think he's a second pair D man at best. I tend to agree I dont think either do much to this team as we still wouldnt have a second line center and neither of those two are playing like top pair D men.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Provorov is having a real tough season, Chychryn is interesting I think he's a second pair D man at best. I tend to agree I dont think either do much to this team as we still wouldnt have a second line center and neither of those two are playing like top pair D men.

All you can do is pick BPA and hope it works out. Looking specifically for another center is not the best way to build the team. Most draft picks take 5-7 years to mature even if some are laying in the league and even making a difference before then. If you view Castron’s drafts as Bratt Nico and Smith with some other players developing on a longer curve I’m not sure what more you could ask for.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
why not? We're only 2 points ahead of LA for the least amount of points in the league

blackwood. Yes it's probably premature to assume we will go on some kind of winning streak, but it's also premature to assume we'll stink the bed even with him in goal, especially with his performance before the injury.

We are a 3 or 4 game losing streak from being the bottom.

We were dead last already before. Blackwood helped push us out of that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It has everything to do with our prospect pool... didn't really think I had to explain that since judging a prospect 2 or 3 years after being drafted can lead us to false hope. Do you remember when everyone was high on Urbom, Gélinas, Merrill, etc?

It's not doom and gloom but I won't start dreaming in technicolor either.
I wasn't on the board when Gelinas was drafted, but he wasn't getting much hype when he was in the AHL.

When he came up to NJ the hype train went full steam, but prior to that, it was fairly quiet.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The sky isn't falling at all but let's not dream either. Ty Smith looks real solid, but a future #1, I doubt that very much. As for Bobqvist, I really like the kid but let's see what he can do in NA and as for Talvitie, a solid performance at the WJC is great but it really doesn't mean anything.

Talvitie also was a ppg at the u-18 WJC, where like the u-20 he wore the C. Also was a PPG at Penn State this year. Led his finnish junior league in scoring as well.

Much more to his resume then just this years WJC.

Reactions: My3Sons

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Wasn't it wood who hand-passed the puck to zacha when he could've just let zacha take it himself for the breakaway. Idr when exactly it was, but it wasn't this season. Might've been in both of their rookie seasons. I remember facepalming super hard on that play.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
@thethinglonger thoughts on turcotte and newhook? they don't seem to get talked about much. Those are guys I'm interested in if the devils fall out of the top 5. Hard to guess where they'll get drafted though. I've seen various rankings for both and there's the injury situation for turcotte.

Huge fan of Turcotte. He and Zegras are incredibly underrated. Turcotte has arguably the best two-way game out of any forward in this draft class. Funny enough, his game reminds me a ton of Hischier's. Turcotte should be getting much more hype and should go top-5.

As for Newhook, I got some good looks at him during the WJAC's. Newhook reads the play well and is a smooth and powerful skater. I was hoping he would be a bit more aggressive with the puck and "drive play" so to speak. He has good compete level and looks to be more of a goal scorer than a set-up guy, but is good at both. In the tournament there were stretches where he wasn't noticeable, and there is certainly room for improvement in his consistency. However, Newhook should go in the top-20 in June. He looks stellar.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
My top 10 for the devils.
1. Kakko
2. Hughes
3. Bryam
4. Cozens
5. Podkolzin
6. Turcotte
7. Krebs
8. Boldy
9. Zegras
10. Newhook

Reactions: dk3790

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
DC34D439-CD94-4E03-9A7C-281218149931.jpeg
6113E7C0-90A7-4D22-B183-9EFC4B2C71F6.jpeg

Devils should go BPA wherever they land and Byram would be great to add to Smith on the left side of the defense. I’m hoping for Cozens. Seems to have a bit of everything the team lacks upfront. Put him on Hischier’s RW for the next decade.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
how are Kaliyev's wheels? I feel like he should be rated higher than the 20s

I've seen him all over the place in ranking. He has a very good shot and not much else besides that. Some people see that as something that will have him go late first round since he's not above average at anything besides shooting, but other people will see him as a true sniper so may have him high because of how valuable it is to score goals and have a great shot. Could be a bellows type player.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
View attachment 175401 View attachment 175399
Devils should go BPA wherever they land and Byram would be great to add to Smith on the left side of the defense. I’m hoping for Cozens. Seems to have a bit of everything the team lacks upfront. Put him on Hischier’s RW for the next decade.

I like Cozens and Turcotte if we dont get Byram or a top 2 pick. I think cozens can drive a line with his speed and skill and is good in all areas. Turcotte could be underrated due to missing time with injuries this year but he is a great player and should be a great 2C.

Reactions: MichaelJ

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
My top 10 for the devils.
1. Kakko
2. Hughes
3. Bryam
4. Cozens
5. Podkolzin
6. Turcotte
7. Krebs
8. Boldy
9. Zegras
10. Newhook

I like it. I maybe flip Podkolzin and Cozens. I have Broberg in my top-10 since his talent and skill set are tantalizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad