Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not arguing that, but to me, there is a difference between being impressive for your age and tearing a league up. He's not doing what Petterson did.

We'll see about Talvitie. Seems to be a polarizing player. To me, nothing about his game stands out outside of effort. Another guy with NHL level compete, but AHL level skills IMO. But we shall see I guess.

Pettersson's season was basically unheard of....so yes, he is not having that type of season, you are correct. Pretty much no 19 year old has ever had that type of season in the SEL.

Reactions: Scooooooooooooot

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Our prospect pool is interesting, there are a lot of guys who I think can make the NHL but aren't top tier prospects, especially on offense. Smith I think can be a top pair D man, but I don't know about a number 1, he is still 18 so its entirely possible. I would prefer we add Byram in the draft because in my eyes he's a bonafide number 1 and having him and Smith be the anchors on the top 2 pairs for years to come would drastically change our D core. Boqvist can be a top 6 player and it's incredibly ignorant to compare a 20 year old's point production to players who have been in mens leagues for years and years. It's middle of the pack due to lack of top end talent but the pick this year may push it near the top 10 based on it having a lot of players who may end up being NHL type talents.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Our prospect pool is interesting, there are a lot of guys who I think can make the NHL but aren't top tier prospects, especially on offense. Smith I think can be a top pair D man, but I don't know about a number 1, he is still 18 so its entirely possible. I would prefer we add Byram in the draft because in my eyes he's a bonafide number 1 and having him and Smith be the anchors on the top 2 pairs for years to come would drastically change our D core. Boqvist can be a top 6 player and it's incredibly ignorant to compare a 20 year old's point production to players who have been in mens leagues for years and years. It's middle of the pack due to lack of top end talent but the pick this year may push it near the top 10 based on it having a lot of players who may end up being NHL type talents.

Not when the statement is made that "he is tearing up the SEL". I mean, that's pretty cut and dry. You either are or you're not. He's not.

Again, though, I agree that what he is doing in that league at his age is impressive. Definitely showing an NHL upside.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Not when the statement is made that "he is tearing up the SEL". I mean, that's pretty cut and dry. You either are or you're not. He's not.

Again, though, I agree that what he is doing in that league at his age is impressive. Definitely showing an NHL upside.

I think that's a bit more than an "NHL upside" .. I think it's more top 6 forward upside.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

some rankings from chris ryan:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Very good hockey sense, a bit overaggressive at times but overall he has a really good sense in all areas. Pretty good shot, has 10 goals thus far this year in 38 games so he's scoring at a good rate for his draft years as a D man.

thank you! sign me up for that if we don’t have a top 7ish or wherever pick. any current nhl comparables?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Ty Smith could be top paring D for sure. Maybe not a #1 D that will play heavy minutes in all situations, but he has top paring potential for sure.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
not sure when the past decade is being used when the current regime has only been involved in the past 3 drafts.

It has everything to do with our prospect pool... didn't really think I had to explain that since judging a prospect 2 or 3 years after being drafted can lead us to false hope. Do you remember when everyone was high on Urbom, Gélinas, Merrill, etc?

It's not doom and gloom but I won't start dreaming in technicolor either.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It has everything to do with our prospect pool... didn't really think I had to explain that since judging a prospect 2 or 3 years after being drafted can lead us to false hope. Do you remember when everyone was high on Urbom, Gélinas, Merrill, etc?

It's not doom and gloom but I won't start dreaming in technicolor either.

We were over this the other day. If you believe that the current crop of prospects is similar in value to those of 5-7 years ago, you aren't paying attention.

Of course a team's fans will always be excited about their prospects. But we have actual legitimate prospects now.

Reactions: Darkauron

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Comparable for him would be Hampus Lindholm in my opinion.

tenor.gif

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We were over this the other day. If you believe that the current crop of prospects is similar in value to those of 5-7 years ago, you aren't paying attention.

Of course a team's fans will always be excited about their prospects. But we have actual legitimate prospects now.

I don't but whether you like it or not, they're part of our prospect pool and that's all that's being said here.

If you want to make a "post Conte" list... be my guess but overall group we have now is average because of the picks made by Conte. Are we doing since the passing of the guard took place, absolutely but it doesn't take away that our overall group isn't all that great.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't but whether you like it or not, they're part of our prospect pool and that's all that's being said here.

If you want to make a "post Conte" list... be my guess but overall group we have now is average because of the picks made by Conte. Are we doing since the passing of the guard took place, absolutely but it doesn't take away that our overall group isn't all that great.
Average prospect pool (I.e. middle of the league) is exactly what he said earlier. What exactly are you disagreeing with?

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
yeah i rolled my eyes at JQ’s spot too. we know what we have in him and it’s not good

Not sure how good the writer’s judgement is, but if a prospect is ranked below JQ they’ve got to be really bad, with almost no hope of nhl success.
That being said, while I don’t think we have a bad prospect pool, it’s not great either. We have a top 2 D in Smith, probably a top 6 F somewhere (whether it ends up being Boqvist or McLeod or Studenic or someone else emerges, I’m uncertain) and a bunch of middle-bottom 6 guys.
We really need another couple great pieces so the hope is to add one this year via FA, and hit big in this coming draft. I understand that it’s not the most likely outcome, but a potential influx of talent (think Smith, Stone, and Kakko) by next year makes us a very good team.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Do you remember when everyone was high on Urbom, Gélinas, Merrill, etc?

HFBoards is, in general, terrible at predicting success of young players. Too many emo-people who think every asset in the pipeline has upside. For the record, of the above, the only one that intrigued me was Gelinas.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
HFBoards is, in general, terrible at predicting success of young players. Too many emo-people who think every asset in the pipeline has upside. For the record, of the above, the only one that intrigued me was Gelinas.

For the record I hated Gelinas because he was maybe the dumbest hockey player I had ever seen.

Reactions: MichaelJ

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The sky isn't falling at all but let's not dream either. Ty Smith looks real solid, but a future #1, I doubt that very much. As for Bobqvist, I really like the kid but let's see what he can do in NA and as for Talvitie, a solid performance at the WJC is great but it really doesn't mean anything.

We do need an impact player in the worst way and getting Hughes or Kakko would be a godsend, but the odds are real slim.

I'd say we're in the 18 to 22 range when it comes to our prospect pool, which isn't all that great when looking at our record for the past decade. There's certain picks that are biting us in the rear end and that's Zacha and McLeod.

I’m not convinced that Provorov and Chychryn would be significant needle movers this season. Provorov is struggling this year according to PHI fans and it’s not as if Chychryn seems to be doing much to elevate AZ in the standings. Yes they both have wonderful potential but they’d both probably be roughly in he same spots in NJ and we’d be complaining about their foibles.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Amazing we got a 3rd when dealing Gelly to avs, might have been a late 3rd but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->