Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Comes To A Close!

How Do You Rate the Leafs Draft?

• Total voters

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Too bad Montreal took Cole Caufield before us. I'm pretty sure Dubas found his height irresistible.

Joking aside Nicholas Robertson looks great.
Then we have 3 defensemen and 2 centers.

I like.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This is a draft that, individually, no pick I'm really hurt over (Abruzzese was picked too early, I think, though), but overall, in just a general sense... not super impressed. It's one I really hope I'm wrong about, because right now I'm underwhelmed.

Combine that with the Marleau trade (like, c'mon, maybe its petty, but you really couldn't negotiate out given up the 7th as well???), not my happiest Leafs transaction day.

Was really banking on that last 7th to kinda pick me up at the end (Antropov would've been fun, and genuinely a good pick), but then they traded that too, leaving me with nothing to end on :laugh:

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
This was an excellent draft despite not having a 1st. Robertson and Kokkonen are very good prospects, and we took players with a lot of upside in the later rounds. Abramov and Koster are very interesting.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
My general impression is that Leafs have been prioritizing high IQ in the later rounds over kids that can already skate well, which makes sense.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
4AE7DAA0-8BBE-47AA-BD57-2751C16CDF98.png
Who has a lack of speed? I know Kokkonen has some skating issues. The rest have skating as one of their appealing features. Robertson is one of the best skaters in the draft. Koster and Abramov's skating technique was rated well but they needed some more strength to really drive home their speed. Loponen and Abrusseze have strong skating ability with good speed as well.

Not everyone are speedsters but they have the skating ability you want and have the potential to become better (including faster).

Robertson’s skating was not described as a strength

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Well who would we have added this year if we had our 1st?
Would it have change our grade that much more?
I didnt follow junior that much this year so im just asking

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I'll give the Leafs a B+/A- on this draft. Got a lot of value for the picks we did have. Getting a first round talent in the 2nd round and a 2nd round talent in the 3rd round is always a win.

Also feels amazing not having Mark Hunter have any impact on our draft

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I give them a B. I love the Robertson and Kokkonen picks. Robertson is the type of player we need more of: fearless, gritty, skilled.

Of note, I thought Carolina, L.A. and Vegas had outstanding days. Man, I love the Vegas scouts! I'm always impressed with their picks:

Peyton Krebs, C
Kaeden Korczak, D
Pavel Dorofeyev, LW
Layton Ahac, D
Ryder Donovan, C
Isaiah Saville, G
Marcus Kallionkieli, LW
Mason Primeau, C

A+

Reactions: uncleben

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I find it interesting that for a second year, late in the draft, Dubas swapped a late round picks in a future draft.

It's a little thing, but it's a bit pragmatic to ensure that they actually like a player that they have at that draft position rather than just waste the pick on a player they don't know a lot about.

Last year they selected Holmberg after trade their 2019 6th, for Buffalo's 2018 6th rounder... That looks like a solid pick right now at that draft spot.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
No Draft + 1 and Draft +2 players :thumbu:
All skill type players :thumbu:
No learn-to-skate projects :thumbu:
Lack of size on defense continues to be a future issue :thumbd:
No Swedish picks :thumbd:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
No Draft + 1 and Draft +2 players :thumbu:
All skill type players :thumbu:
No learn-to-skate projects :thumbu:
Lack of size on defense continues to be a future issue :thumbd:
No Swedish picks :thumbd:

Abruezzese is a draft + 2. Also some would say that both Robertson and Kokkonen both have work do on their skating.

I agree on the last point. Wouldn't have minded a Swedish pick.

Reactions: Jeypic and uncleben

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I give it an F, because this draft wasn't about drafting for me I wanted Dubas to leave Vancouver having added a D man and he didn't do that .

Dubas did manage to dump Marleau but if You're giving up a 1st you better sign Marner.

As this roster stands the Leafs are 1 piece away and as of today Dubas hasn't added that piece and that's what I want him to do, sign Marner and add a D man

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I give it an F, because this draft wasn't about drafting for me I wanted Dubas to leave Vancouver having added a D man and he didn't do that .

Dubas did manage to dump Marleau but if You're giving up a 1st you better sign Marner.

As this roster stands the Leafs are 1 piece away and as of today Dubas hasn't added that piece and that's what I want him to do, sign Marner and add a D man

Well it’s June so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad