Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Comes To A Close!

How Do You Rate the Leafs Draft?

• Total voters

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
B

Loved our first 2 picks. Don’t really know enough about the rest but don’t hate them in general. Would have liked Dustin Wolf instead of trading into next years 7th round again instead but that’s not a deal breaker.

Don’t love the Marleau trade but I guess it had to be done. As much as it hurts.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
It's been that way for yrs .
Don't see it changing any time soon

St Louis heavy team
Washington heavy team

You need a mixture of both and right know we don't have it.

Maybe Dubas thinks you can always add toughness later, so it’s best to draft skill.

Reactions: weems

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
Voted B because of who was picked, and the general sense that we got 2 really good value players and no colossal obvious / anticipated disasters.

I can't vote A because we don't know what any of these guys will be, but won't vote C since there is reason to be optimistic.

Also, it seems silly to completely dismiss the draft because of picks we didn't have. With the picks made, I think Dubas did very well.

Not one of them will be mistaken for a Toronto Raptor, though.

horner

May 22, 2007
Compete wasn't the issue. This team outplayed Boston this year and lost on a crappy PK and bad goaltending in game 7.
Game six we didn't show up.
I need right there we weren't winning the ,7 th game

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
B - Above average draft.

Liked a lot of picks according to scouting report. However, without a first round pick, it's hard to give it an A.

I like the direction of skill and hockey IQ Dubas is prioritizing, and hope to see it more in future drafts.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Not going to pretend I know anything about these prospects so whoever you guys like, I like lol

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Just a B from me. No first round pick to start. Then, Dubas is forced to trade next year's first to get rid of Marleau. Thanks Lou, you dufus.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not sure if anyone has commented on them yet, but those draft hats were sharp. I might have to get one.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sounds like the Leafs had their eye on Robertson the whole season.

Wheeler: Ranking every team's Day 2 at the 2019 NHL Draft

A little birdy told me in the winter that if Nick Robertson was available in the second round that he would push hard to make that pick happen, even if he feared he might be gone in the first. So the Leafs got their guy. Fans are going to love Robertson.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I like this invite

Good find.

Sean Larochelle -- Ranked 217 by FC. RHD of Victoriaville. Pretty meh from my viewings. Decent invite.

Xavier Simoneau 5'6" center. He's actually pretty decent for his size... but yeah.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Good find.

Sean Larochelle -- Ranked 217 by FC. RHD of Victoriaville. Pretty meh from my viewings. Decent invite.

Xavier Simoneau 5'6" center. He's actually pretty decent for his size... but yeah.

Personally just think they are depth. I like Larochellle more than Simoneau. Simoneau's skating is no where near good enough for a guy his size.

Take a look, but if they are seen as the premier invites, we aren't too worried about inviting great players I guess.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Grading the Toronto Maple Leafs' 2019 draft class
2019 Draft Grade: C-plus

Toronto didn’t pick until No. 52 but throughout the draft, they picked a lot of players I appreciate. I believe Nick Robertson will be an NHLer. I think he scores in the league and is on an NHL power play. Nobody else from this class is a for sure player, but Mikko Kokkoken and Mike Koster are two undersized defensemen with very high-end hockey sense and have a real chance to make it. Their other picks are all players I have some time for, as well. There was a lot of skill and hockey sense emphasized in this class.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I liked some of our picks but overall weird lack of size / not strong skating in some of the players. Also would have liked some size...I don’t like size for size sake but don’t want a smurf team either.

Barb is also not a universal answer for the lack of speed for everyone. Sometimes guys just don’t improve enough.

Most draft classes draft 1, maybe 2 guys so doesn’t matter that much

Reactions: baton elevated

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
A lot of small players, just like last draft. Dubas has made it clear his type of team playstyle is of speed, skill, puckmoving with very little grit. Which is fine, it's definitely where the game seems to be heading more and more each year, I hope we can start having real success soon.

I have a feeling Dubas thinks skill should be drafted and developed, as acquiring these types of players is costly. In theory grinders like Hyman and Moore are easy to come by, and surrounding these types with highly skilled players will get the most out of them offensively. Draft skill, trade for and sign grinders.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Seems like our management group didn't notice that heavy teams were left standing in the Stanley cup final.

I believe those 5'6 Dmen will have no problem clearing the net in the playoffs.

That said, I liked a couple of the picks, but wish we had a little more versatility in our selection process. This is where real hockey people would be helpful to have in the organization when making drafting decisions. But hey, I hope they work out.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I liked some of our picks but overall weird lack of size / not strong skating in some of the players. Also would have liked some size...I don’t like size for size sake but don’t want a smurf team either.

Barb is also not a universal answer for the lack of speed for everyone. Sometimes guys just don’t improve enough.

Most draft classes draft 1, maybe 2 guys so doesn’t matter that much

Who has a lack of speed? I know Kokkonen has some skating issues. The rest have skating as one of their appealing features. Robertson is one of the best skaters in the draft. Koster and Abramov's skating technique was rated well but they needed some more strength to really drive home their speed. Loponen and Abrusseze have strong skating ability with good speed as well.

Not everyone are speedsters but they have the skating ability you want and have the potential to become better (including faster).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->