Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Comes To A Close!

How Do You Rate the Leafs Draft?

• Total voters

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
So Robertson is basically a Trevor Moore type.

Kokkonen, based on description, sounds like a Sandin type.

The Leafs definitely have a type.

Appears that way, eh.

Koster seems to go in line with Hollowell and Duszak

Abruzzesse seems to go in line with Brooks.

Abramov can be comparable to Stotts

Loponen seems to also fit in with the Sandin 'type'.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Really indifferent. I mean I know skills is the new name of the game but we couldn't find any player over 6 feet?

I don't want to judge it based on size and heights but come on

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
On board with the first two picks. If either of Robertson or Kokkonen went late 1st or early 2nd you wouldn't have much of an issue there. The next three picks is where I would've looked at other players. But we'll see.

Loponen I liked with our last pick.

horner

May 22, 2007
A lot of small players, just like last draft. Dubas has made it clear his type of team playstyle is of speed, skill, puckmoving with very little grit. Which is fine, it's definitely where the game seems to be heading more and more each year, I hope we can start having real success soon.
The regular season all skill.

The playoffs when it counts GRIT.

St. Louis Stanley Cup winner all grit and size.

The goal is the Cup .

TBay one of the greatest seasons in the NHL a ton of skill . Bounced in the 1st Rd . All skill.

I don't know the answer but skill alone won't get you the cup.

Reactions: Hotel Mario

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
A lot of small players, just like last draft. Dubas has made it clear his type of team playstyle is of speed, skill, puckmoving with very little grit. Which is fine, it's definitely where the game seems to be heading more and more each year, I hope we can start having real success soon.

How?

The caps and blues were big heavy teams with gritty players as their superstars

Reactions: coupe93

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bahahhaa, you actually gave if an F...and you're the only one.

How do you feel about it for real?

Picks are good, probably a better drafter than Lou and Hunter. I think maybe one or two guys with size tossed in for variety would go a long way to making me feel confident in the direction of the team overall. I don't want to run into heavy hitting teams and watch guys bail on plays in the POs again, more of a balanced team kinda guy. STL has been a fav of mine for a long time as far as composition and you could search that, I said it a lot over the years.

It's about a B for what we were dealing with.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

The goal is the Cup .

TBay one of the greatest seasons in the NHL a ton of skill . Bounced in the 1st Rd . All skill.

The answer is to get the league to call playoff games like regular season games. Allowing teams to slow down your speed and skill in the playoffs is dumb.

Reactions: OddyOh and Macman

Macman

May 15, 2004
Also, not that I’m advocating selecting by nationalist... but I’m slightly disappointed we selected no Canadians this year!

That has to be a first for the Leafs, but it reflects what's going on in hockey now. Canada's losing its dominance.

Reactions: MyBudJT

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

The goal is the Cup .

Pittsburgh Penguins
Chicago Blackhawks

Sep 18, 2009
That has to be a first for the Leafs, but it reflects what's going on in hockey now. Canada's losing its dominance.
One day basketball will be the number one sport in canada
the leafs will be second fiddle
you might as well jump ship now

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The more i'm reading about these players, the more I like them.
Robertson is obviously the best, but Kokkonen seems really good. Liponnen is also very interesting.
All the players are nice.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Tough to give it a letter grade.

• I really like the first 3 picks, but especially Robertson and Kokkonen. I think you have 2 players right there, even if its only a 3rd liner and a #4, that is what we need to surround the core
  • Happy that like last year, we took a couple centres as I feel we ignored it from 2014-2017 with only 4 (one of course being AM), now we've selected 4 in 2 years
  • Unlike many, I don't mind the Dubas type. Very smart, skilled, slick, creative and good with the puck. That is the way the game is going. That Kapanen goal in Game 5 vs. the Bruins, that to me is what Dubas envisions this team looking like. If they can get more players to play like that more often, we will beat the bigger, slower teams.The whole sequence to me screams what he wants in his team.

Reactions: Eric bungay

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
No Canadians in Maple Leafs’ NHL draft haul | The Star
VANCOUVER—The Maple Leafs added speed and skill, but not size, with the six players they selected on the second day of the NHL draft — and there were no Canadians among them. “It’s just how the list falls,” said John Lilley, the Maple Leafs’ director of amateur scouting. “We certainly had big players on our list. Certain years, you get a certain country or nationality that falls to your picks. This year, it was smaller picks. We feel every player that we did pick is highly skilled. We felt like they’re intelligent players. I think they fit what our management group is trying to acquire.”
Nick Robertson, LW

Lilley: “He’s a highly motivated young man. Very serious. He’s driven and that’s part of what we like about him. Lives, breathes and eats hockey. He’s motivated. He wants it. He’s dying to be a hockey player. He’s a top-line forward with power-play potential.”

Mikko Kokkonen, D

Lilley: “Intelligent player. Had 19 points as an 18-year-old playing in the elite league. Very smart. Can improve his foot speed. Good stick. Good first pass.”

Mikhail Abramov, C

Lilley: “Skilled. Had a good Ivan Hlinka (under-18 tournament). Good playmaker. Works hard. Had a good year on a young team.”

Nicholas Abruzzese, F

Lilley: “He had a breakthrough season playing in Chicago. Smart player. Going to Harvard, so a smart human being. Driven. Under-developed for a (player born in 1999). He’s an older kid, but still looks like he has room to grow physically.”

Michael Koster, D

Lilley: “He had a good high-school season, maybe not as good as people thought he would. He slipped a bit (on draft boards). He moves the puck well. Highly skilled.”

Kalle Loponen, D

Lilley: “Skilled, played under-18, played for the national team in several tournaments. Moves the puck well. He’s got to get physically stronger.”

Reactions: SprDaVE

horner

May 22, 2007
Pittsburgh Penguins
Chicago Blackhawks
Those teams could play against a heavy team or a skill team .

We on the other seem to lose interest against a heavy teams.

When teams start to pound us we seem to lose interest.

Maybe this team will start to compete at a higher level .

That is why Iam really hoping that Korshkov can make this team.

From limited viewing of him .
He seems to be a player that has a real mean disposition.
Looking to hit players .

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The answer is to get the league to call playoff games like regular season games. Allowing teams to slow down your speed and skill in the playoffs is dumb.
The answer for us was to get people capable of PKing and make a save in Game 7. Do that and were likely in the finals

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Those teams could play against a heavy team or a skill team .

We on the other seem to lose interest against a heavy teams.

When teams start to pound us we seem to lose interest.

Maybe this team will start to compete at a higher level .
Compete wasn't the issue. This team outplayed Boston this year and lost on a crappy PK and bad goaltending in game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->