Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Comes To A Close!

How Do You Rate the Leafs Draft?

• Total voters

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
2019_NHL_Entry_Draft_logo.png

Toronto Maple Leafs Draft Recap

53rd Overall Pick: F Nick Robertson
84th Overall Pick: D Mikko Kokkonen
115th Overall Pick: F Mikhail Abramov
124th Overall Pick: F Nick Abruzzese
146th Overall Pick: D Mike Koster
204th Overall Pick: D Kalle Loponen

Toronto Maple Leafs Trade Recap

[TOR/CAR] Patrick Marleau, Top 10 Protected 2020 1st, & 2020 7th to CAR for 2020 6th Round Pick
[TOR/STL] 208th Overall Pick to STL for 2020 7th Round Pick​

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Can’t complain, looking forward to seeing how things pan out with them!

No first again next year :cry:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Also, not that I’m advocating selecting by nationality... but I’m slightly disappointed we selected no Canadians this year!

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
This was clearly a Dubas draft.

Which I don't have any issues with... I prefer his mindset at the draft table then some other ones we've had.

Reactions: weems

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm pretty happy with it

We seem to have favored kids that have produced in the leagues they were playing and have good hockey IQ, seems like a decent idea if your being honest with yourself

The size stuff means nothing to me

I voted B, i though we got good value for the positions we picked in

Last edited:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
A lot of small players, just like last draft. Dubas has made it clear his type of team playstyle is of speed, skill, puckmoving with very little grit. Which is fine, it's definitely where the game seems to be heading more and more each year, I hope we can start having real success soon.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
F for Flimsy. The Marleau deal and everyone is tiny. F also for Fire Dubas and Forget he was ever here going Forward.

Reactions: coupe93

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
D. When you don't have a first round pick you aren't going to have a good first glance draft. Depends on how things play out down the road. But polls never come up 4 or 5 years down the road.

Seem like decent picks for what we had. But not a ton of picks this year either. Not a grade based on what the Leafs did with what they had, but how they did overall. Didn't have a first going in and left with one less first. Optimistically could stretch it to a C, but D seems more appropriate.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
D. When you don't have a first round pick you aren't going to have a good first glance draft. Depends on how things play out down the road. But polls never come up 4 or 5 years down the road.

Seem like decent picks for what we had. But not a ton of picks this year either. Not a grade based on what the Leafs did with what they had, but how they did overall. Didn't have a first going in and left with one less first. Optimistically could stretch it to a C, but D seems more appropriate.

Some of the picks are fine. It's very linear thinking though. This team is going to be very very easy to figure out if they build like this. Basically teams will just stomp us out.

Reactions: Hotel Mario

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
A lot of small players, just like last draft. Dubas has made it clear his type of team playstyle is of speed, skill, puckmoving with very little grit. Which is fine, it's definitely where the game seems to be heading more and more each year, I hope we can start having real success soon.
I don't think he ignores size either but they need to play. Marchment is a great example.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
B

I think Robertson was a slam dunk pick and ridiculous value at 53. He has the potential to be the org's best LW in a few years with his shot and motor. Many agencies had him as a 1st round talent and its important to consider that he's one of the youngest players in the draft.

Kokkonen is a sleeper pick. More points in Liiga than Heiskanen for a draft eligible and a high IQ player who checks a lot of boxes. Very reminiscent of Sandin. He's being developed in a system that prioritizes defensive play and low scoring affairs, which makes his point totals even more impressive.

Abramov reminds me of the Stotts pick. Modest production but he passes the eye test with flying colours. Abramov brings significantly more skill and has one of the higher ceilings of the Leaf picks selected today.

The rest are TBD, but those three alone make it a solid draft in my estimation. The lack of picks made it somewhat underwhelming, and I had hoped for another 2nd rounder as a result of a Brown trade, but what can you do.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I actually really like the 7th round pick swap trades.

Was just listening to the Ottawa radio, and they were suggesting that next year's draft is deeper... and Ottawa's head scout they were interviewing kind of agreed with that assessment.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Got some good value for where we picked, but I don't think we ended up with an amazing haul. Still, a subtle and smart draft is the best we could have realistically hoped for

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
B

I think Robertson was a slam dunk pick and ridiculous value at 53. He has the potential to be the org's best LW in a few years with his shot and motor. Many agencies had him as a 1st round talent and its important to consider that he's one of the youngest players in the draft.

Kokkonen is a sleeper pick. More points in Liiga than Heiskanen for a draft eligible and a high IQ player who checks a lot of boxes. Very reminiscent of Sandin. He's being developed in a system that prioritizes defensive play and low scoring affairs, which makes his point totals even more impressive.

Abramov reminds me of the Stotts pick. Modest production but he passes the eye test with flying colours. Abramov brings significantly more skill and has one of the higher ceilings of the Leaf picks selected today.

The rest are TBD, but those three alone make it a solid draft in my estimation. The lack of picks made it somewhat underwhelming, and I had hoped for another 2nd rounder as a result of a Brown trade, but what can you do.

Pretty fair assessment. Robertson and Kokkonen were pretty much well liked among the scouting community with plenty of value/upside at their spot.

As for the rest, they were pretty decent darts thrown.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I don't really follow hockey prospects but saw the first guy we drafted compared to Theo Fleury - yes please.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
So Robertson is basically a Trevor Moore type.

Kokkonen, based on description, sounds like a Sandin type.

The Leafs definitely have a type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad