Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The new TSN final mock today still has Lavoie going to the Pens, who manage to bypass Cam York to take him...

I don’t get the attraction for this kid...ok, he’s big...he’s not a great skater and he’s inconsistent...I guarantee you he’s going to be the next Sheahan and we’ll regret picking him...if we’re going for a forward, we need to get a lot better skater...but I wouldn’t pass on York for him

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-final-mock-draft-intrigue-begins-at-no-3-1.1325070

I don't understand the Sheahan comparison.

Sheahan's never scored more than 16 goals in the regular season or 3 goals in the playoffs at any level. Lavoie just led all of Canadian juniors in playoff goal scoring with 20 goals in 23 games. In his draft year. That alone is a pretty significant difference - one's bread and butter is clearly goal scoring and the other's isn't.

If he gets 20 goals and 32 points in 23 playoff games, how many would he get if he was consistent? And if his inconsistent numbers are better than his consistent competition's numbers anyway, what does that say?

Reactions: Pens17

Sam Adams

Jun 19, 2019
Maybe...I just think he’ll he a 3rd line center in this day and age and you don’t use your first to get someone who’s not a top 6 player...

Ricci was a 3rd line center and Id gladly take a guy like him with a 21st. But I really want Poulin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't understand the Sheahan comparison.

Sheahan's never scored more than 16 goals in the regular season or 3 goals in the playoffs at any level. Lavoie just led all of Canadian juniors in playoff goal scoring with 20 goals in 23 games. In his draft year. That alone is a pretty significant difference - one's bread and butter is clearly goal scoring and the other's isn't.

If he gets 20 goals and 32 points in 23 playoff games, how many would he get if he was consistent? And if his inconsistent numbers are better than his consistent competition's numbers anyway, what does that say?

You’re thinking of Sheahan’s NHL career...Sheahan was the 21st overall pick in his draft year and there was a reason...he was big,average speed and had really good scoring like this guy before being drafted...GMs focus on these big vanilla players... that's what this guy projects to me but I guess we’ll see...

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
You’re thinking of Sheahan’s NHL career...Sheahan was the 21st overall pick in his draft year and there was a reason...he was big,average speed and had really good scoring like this guy before being drafted...GMs focus on these big vanilla players... that's what this guy projects to me but I guess we’ll see...
I agree, he could turn out fine but to pass on York … I don't think so. too many if's. imo
edit; when do the trades start??????

Reactions: Andy99

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'm thinking of Sheahan's whole career. He was never a goal scorer...ever. Lavoie definitely is, at least in junior.

They're both big with consistency issues, I guess. But I haven't heard anything bad about Lavoie's skating either, and I'm pretty sure he's playing wing atm. I don't know what kind of player Lavoie will be in the NHL but Sheahan doesn't seem like the best analog to me. :dunno:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Cookies is making more sense to me on this one. Sheahan's calling card as a kid seemed to have been playmaking and responsibility, not goals, and I haven't heard too many questions about Laovie's skating.

For me, I think a better comparison for what Andy is talking about is Bjugstad - who does skate well, and is more of a W/C hybrid, and was a goalscorer in junior. And I think you can make the same general point... that a big guy with skill and some speed (and most reports I've seen says Lavoie skates well), bit of everything, frequently ends up a little disappointing when they don't put it together, aren't mean enough, don't use their size enough...

But I think Lavoie has enough skating and skill to be a top 6 possibility even if he isn't a prime power forward. And even if he whiffs a bit and becomes the Bjugstad we have, there are many worse things you could get with a 1st rounder.

I wouldn't love Lavoie. I wouldn't hate him either.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
They're both big with consistency issues, I guess. But I haven't heard anything bad about Lavoie's skating either,
At this juncture, he projects more as a right wing, and not a centre. He will have to radically improve his acceleration, foot speed, and pace to be thought capable of patrolling centre ice in higher levels.
--Bill Placzek--

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
LWoH has him as "strong skater for his size", DefendingBigD has "Let’s talk about his skills. He’ll never beat Roope Hintz in a foot race, but he’s agile. He’s able to smoothly change pace during the play with a strong first step, and confident pivots — allowing him to avoid choppy stop-and-start movements in the defensive and offensive zones.", and Habs Eyes on the Prize says - "More than his size, what makes the prospect exciting is that he is a deceptively good skater."

So, personally not worried about his skating.

What am I worried about is his IQ and commitment levels after reading these profiles, and that knocks him down to "Urgh, here's hoping".

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
LWoH has him as "strong skater for his size", DefendingBigD has "Let’s talk about his skills. He’ll never beat Roope Hintz in a foot race, but he’s agile. He’s able to smoothly change pace during the play with a strong first step, and confident pivots — allowing him to avoid choppy stop-and-start movements in the defensive and offensive zones.", and Habs Eyes on the Prize says - "More than his size, what makes the prospect exciting is that he is a deceptively good skater."

So, personally not worried about his skating.

What am I worried about is his IQ and commitment levels after reading these profiles, and that knocks him down to "Urgh, here's hoping".

That said, his playoff production suggests he shows up when the lights are brightest. Leading the CHL in playoff goal-scoring in your draft year is no joke.

Sam Adams

Jun 19, 2019
That said, his playoff production suggests he shows up when the lights are brightest. Leading the CHL in playoff goal-scoring in your draft year is no joke.

Cant argue against that. Still want Poulin. If hes there at 21, take him. I dont care if he might fall to 35. Take him at 21

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Mebbe, but there's no history of him bringing the pain post-season. Kinda the opposite; last year was a total flub for a near ppg guy. I'd be wary of attaching much significance to it.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If we take Lavoie I’m done. Can’t stand his game.

(And I really hope he proves me wrong regardless of where he lands— I don’t root for any of these kids to fail... go crush it and make millions)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If the option is between two similarly skilled upside players, I hope they opt for the one who can drive the play more. We've got enough complimentary types in the organization, but very few play drivers.

I think I agree with you, but define play driver?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think I agree with you, but define play driver?

Someone who can create for his line, as opposed to relying on someone else to create chance that they can bury. Or someone who can carry the puck and generate chances, rather than someone who needs to have that kind of linemate to be effective.

In other words, an 80 point Phil Kessel type versus an 80 point James Neal type. Or a Mitch Marner type rather than a Patrik Laine type.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Someone who can create for his line, as opposed to relying on someone else to create chance that they can bury. Or someone who can carry the puck and generate chances, rather than someone who needs to have that kind of linemate to be effective.

In other words, an 80 point Phil Kessel type versus an 80 point James Neal type. Or a Mitch Marner type rather than a Patrik Laine type.

Cool cool. Would agree with that - I think puck carriers and players that will aid our transition and creativity is a huge ask right now. Although that said - we don't have many triggermen either. Our complimentary players tend towards jack of all trades at the moment...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Looking at profiles of potential late picks - @Burn, I've read profiles saying Ben Brinkman will go in the 5th/6th, would he be a good Pens target?

Reactions: Burn

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Mebbe, but there's no history of him bringing the pain post-season. Kinda the opposite; last year was a total flub for a near ppg guy. I'd be wary of attaching much significance to it.

Well, I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I think you have to take a huge post-season run like that into account.

Either way, he's not the guy I'd target based on the reports, it just seems like he's been getting a pretty raw deal here.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad