Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's what Kenny said. The rebuild will be over after 2019 draft, and we are gonna make real push for the playoffs after that. 25 millions of cap space to be used on free agency, and lots of talent there as UFAs.

It was pretty obvious message from him that he sees playoff experience as a part of the rebuild as a developmental thing. Young players have to get playoff experience at some point to become real winners. You just can't be out every year. That's why they are not gonna tank forever, sounded like three years out from the playoffs is enough, and they all the time talk that scortched earth rebuild is not any kind of option.

And I understand exactly what he is talking about. Stanley Cup playoffs are totally different sport than regular season NHL hockey. It's a matchup battle, same players face same opposite players in a series. You have to learn those things at some point, lose for getting that experience, before becoming a winner.

Kenny is as lame duck of a GM as you are going to find. I don't know why people continue to give a shit about the words that come out of his mouth.
People are suckers if they believe everything that comes out of Kenny's mouth or that the rebuild is over after the 2019 draft. Kenny wants to make the playoffs next season? What GM wouldn't say that, whether realistic or not? I don't fault Holland one bit for saying that. I also don't think Kenny actually believes it one bit. You don't need to be Scotty Bowman to know that we are not a very talented team (even when healthy) and that there is nothing that is going to change that in the next two years. We will be picking in the top five next year regardless of whether Kenny wants to make the playoffs or not.

As others have said, no good, self-respecting UFA is signing in Detroit anytime soon. Just because we love the Wings doesn't mean that UFAs do. Truth be told, I would have a hard time respecting any good ones that would sign in Detroit this summer.

Reactions: Frk It

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Veleno hasn't played a single pro game, and is more like a D+2 than a D+1. His production is fine, but, its not unexpected or world burning.

Is he more like a draft+2? Not sure thats entirely fair. Hes not your typical draft +1 but not sure you can say hes more like a +2 fairly either.

And on top of that, his production isnt unexpected or world burning? Hes almost at 2 points per game and going into tonight he had the highest points per game in the entire CHL. How is that not unexpected? I've seen you say this a few times or try to down play his offense this year which seems pretty ridiculous.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Is he more like a draft+2? Not sure thats entirely fair. Hes not your typical draft +1 but not sure you can say hes more like a +2 fairly either.

And on top of that, his production isnt unexpected or world burning? Hes almost at 2 points per game and going into tonight he had the highest points per game in the entire CHL. How is that not unexpected? I've seen you say this a few times or try to down play his offense this year which seems pretty ridiculous.
Because he has the same number of games as a D+2. His points make sense given the fact he playing for FAR AND AWAY the highest scoring team in the CHL. No team in any of the three leagues. They have 20 more goals for in the same number of game than any other team. They have nearly 90 goals more than the average team. He is definitely benefiting from playing on a team that is blowing literally every other team in the whole CHL out of the water offensively.

So, he's played games equal to a D+2
His team has 90 goals more than the average CHL team.
He's supposed to be a good player (first round draft pick)

So, his offensive numbers aren't world burning. If he was doing this on an average team as a true D+1, yeah, you have someone special. But this isn't a normal case.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Because he has the same number of games as a D+2. His points make sense given the fact he playing for FAR AND AWAY the highest scoring team in the CHL. No team in any of the three leagues. They have 20 more goals for in the same number of game than any other team. They have nearly 90 goals more than the average team. He is definitely benefiting from playing on a team that is blowing literally every other team in the whole CHL out of the water offensively.

Yep and hes the same age as a draft plus 1 so physical and mental maturity isnt necessarily the exact same either. Did you ever think on the other hand that he could be on FAR AND AWAY the highest scoring team in the CHL because he is so good offensively? Hes 8 points up on second place on his team with 7 less games played. He would be leading his team in scoring by like 20 points if he didnt miss time for the WJC.

Hes benefitting from having a great team thats blowing everyone out of the water offensively, but when youre basically the highest point per game in the CHL and leading that team in scoring by a long shot why arent you giving credit for "blowing out of the water" every player in the CHL basically.

You could say the exact same thing about Marner in his draft +1 year

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yep and hes the same age as a draft plus 1 so physical and mental maturity isnt necessarily the exact same either. Did you ever think on the other hand that he could be on FAR AND AWAY the highest scoring team in the CHL because he is so good offensively? Hes 8 points up on second place on his team with 7 less games played. He would be leading his team in scoring by like 20 points if he didnt miss time for the WJC.

Hes benefitting from having a great team thats blowing everyone out of the water offensively, but when youre basically the highest point per game in the CHL and leading that team in scoring by a long shot why arent you giving credit for "blowing out of the water" every player in the CHL basically.

You could say the exact same thing about Marner in his draft +1 year

His team has 90 goals more than the average team in the CHL. And he's in the highest scoring league (about 20 goals higher on average). And, given his exceptional status, he showed physical abilities that were special enough to start playing sooner than his peers. He's already 6'1'' and 200 pounds. He's not some twig player. His play has been good, but, there's a reason why not many people seem to care.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
His team has 90 goals more than the average team in the CHL. And he's in the highest scoring league (about 20 goals higher on average). And, given his exceptional status, he showed physical abilities that were special enough to start playing sooner than his peers. He's already 6'1'' and 200 pounds. He's not some twig player. His play has been good, but, there's a reason why not many people seem to care.

why are you making things up?

goals per game per team by league this year:

QMJHL: 3.46
OHL: 3.69
WHL: 3.25

also last year the Q was the lowest scoring of the 3 leagues

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
why are you making things up?

goals per game per team by league this year:

QMJHL: 3.46
OHL: 3.69
WHL: 3.25

also last year the Q was the lowest scoring of the 3 leagues

average GF

O 186 (about 53.5 games played as of today)
Q 184 (about 53 games played as of today)

I don't know where you're getting your numbers but as of tonight, average goals per game is the same between the O and the Q are the same pre game. And I should have said median, but if you drop the Titans (which seems to be the worst league adjusted gpg of any team), the Q has a higher goal per game average.

And this just makes my point even stronger. His team has 267 goals for in a league that averages 184 goals for. They are significantly better than the average team, and Veleno is benefiting from that.

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
You know sometimes people just cant be happy when the discussion above is read. :/

All i know is "some" scouts thought Veleno was better than a 30th OA pick (questionable to make the NHL ever).

Veleno having a good year means, (to me) he is more likely to make the NHL, than he was 1 year ago.

If we treat him as the 30th pick... which he is, he is playing well for that position in the draft.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Out of those 3, I like Thomson best.. what about you?

The guy I want most in round 2-3 as far as defenseman go is Marshall Warren.

Yes, I would take Thomson first. I think he goes in the back quarter of the first round and is one of the more quality defenders in the draft. I do wish he was a tad bigger. I like Constantinou's tools, but probably would not take him before the third unless we pick up another second-round pick. Something tells me that he is the type of player who will go later than I think. I just haven't watched enough of Bjornfot (and a lot of other Euro defenders) to have a super strong opinion of him one way or another.

Reactions: Frk It

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It will be awesome to see when they pick Kakko second overall and he will be excellent already next year for the Red Wings..

I still think Kakko could end up as a center in the NHL.

Ok I just don't like to see being so negative that Kakko isn't even a top 5 prospect for this years draft. I don't hate different opinions, I've just seen so much of Kakko that I don't know why some think he isn't that good as most think. The least I can do is hope he proves you wrong big time. :)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Part of me thinks Peyton Krebs is the 3rd best player in this draft, and then part of me thinks he is Sam Bennett all over again.

I’m struggling to rank the players in that group after Hughes and Kakko.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Part of me thinks Peyton Krebs is the 3rd best player in this draft, and then part of me thinks he is Sam Bennett all over again.

I’m struggling to rank the players in that group after Hughes and Kakko.
Then Detroit just needs to land one of those two, and second guessing will be at a minimum. :nod:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Watching Draisaitl tonight, and it kind of makes me want to draft Dach...

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
We desperately need a 2nd first rounder. There are a lot of guys that might fall at the end of the first round that could be massive steals - Brink, Tomasino, Leason, Pelletier (LOVE this kid, strong Brayden Point vibes here), Seider, McMichael, etc..

Reactions: jkutswings

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We desperately need a 2nd first rounder. There are a lot of guys that might fall at the end of the first round that could be massive steals - Brink, Tomasino, Leason, Pelletier (LOVE this kid, strong Brayden Point vibes here), Seider, McMichael, etc..
Agreed. And I'm not confident that the market will bear one for the likely candidates on Detroit, so I'm really hopeful they can end up with multiple second rounders, and trade up from there if the right move comes along.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

So, he's played games equal to a D+2
His team has 90 goals more than the average CHL team.
He's supposed to be a good player (first round draft pick)

So, his offensive numbers aren't world burning. If he was doing this on an average team as a true D+1, yeah, you have someone special. But this isn't a normal case.

This argument is so unbelievably ridiculous. He is not a D+2 player, regardless of how many games he has played. Nonsensical to call him a D+2 player because he was better than everybody else at 16 years old. I've heard a few people make this argument and it is absolutely asinine.

Reactions: AJD7 and Frk It
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Players Drapes sounds high on, IMO: Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Cozens, Broberg

Hard to tell if he's high on the other guys, but he said less. That might be Drapes, but it might be Khan's editing. He doesn't seem that excited about Dach.

He said that Cozens "does things the right way" which is pretty much the highest form of praise the Wings offer about a player. That kind of thing was supposedly a big part of their interest in Rasmussen. They're suckers for kids who have pro-style mentalities, character, and leadership.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->