Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft tracker

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I still don't know how to handle Armstrong. He basically did exactly what I hoped he could do during the off-season. Everyone here thought he handled things really well. But it's not working.... but I still don't really know why. He might have hanged on to Yeo too long, but that didn't magically turn us around either.

I have no idea how to handle Armstrong this year. Hopefully he sells because if he tries to buy that I might lean toward getting rid of him, but I don't know.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
It would be so Bluesy for us to end up with a 15th place finish in the league. This pitiful franchise can't even tank properly.

This season is going to be such a #@%*ing disappointment

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
It would be so Bluesy for us to end up with a 15th place finish in the league. This pitiful franchise can't even tank properly.

This season is going to be such a #@%*ing disappointment
I think being the 11th worst team is the most Bluesy thing we could do. Be a sucky team, but not quite sucky enough to retain our pick.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I drove up to Plymouth to watch Hughes play last night. He is the real deal. Dominant every time he gets the puck. He is very much a Patrick Kane clone,

Not quite sure about his shot, but speed and stick handling are off the chart. Maine just didn’t have an answer to him.

A pint her guy to watch is case McCarthy. Big solid RHD. Not sure where he is expected to go in the draft, but...., I would like to see him added to our pool.

Right now praying for Hughes. I think he has grown a bit and doesn’t look like he is 5’9”. Maybe 5’11 or so.

Interesting to see Doug weights son and Rolstons son on the team. Weight is a periferial player and I wasn’t impressed, doesn’t remind me of Dad at all.

Reactions: Rexx

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I drove up to Plymouth to watch Hughes play last night. He is the real deal. Dominant every time he gets the puck. He is very much a Patrick Kane clone,

Not quite sure about his shot, but speed and stick handling are off the chart. Maine just didn’t have an answer to him.

A pint her guy to watch is case McCarthy. Big solid RHD. Not sure where he is expected to go in the draft, but...., I would like to see him added to our pool.

Right now praying for Hughes. I think he has grown a bit and doesn’t look like he is 5’9”. Maybe 5’11 or so.

Interesting to see Doug weights son and Rolstons son on the team. Weight is a periferial player and I wasn’t impressed, doesn’t remind me of Dad at all.

Zero chance we get Hughes. We just arent bad enough. We’ll finish between 8-12

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
We need to. Drafting in that range, we can’t get a difference maker.

While I agree we should be better. We haven’t been. There is no consistency to the game and with our injuries, I don’t see us competitive for a while.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

While I agree we should be better. We haven’t been. There is no consistency to the game and with our injuries, I don’t see us competitive for a while.

Then you better tell Jake to start letting in more goals

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

... well it’s just completely untrue that difference makers can’t be had in picks 8-12. I’m not even going to bother to list the examples because there are so many.

Obviously the asterisk here is that we don’t keep the pick past #10. But it’s ridiculous to suggest that somehow picking 8-10 wouldn’t get us a high-quality, impactful player.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
... well it’s just completely untrue that difference makers can’t be had in picks 8-12. I’m not even going to bother to list the examples because there are so many.

Obviously the asterisk here is that we don’t keep the pick past #10. But it’s ridiculous to suggest that somehow picking 8-10 wouldn’t get us a high-quality, impactful player.

Top 5 player tends to be elite. 8-14 I am not sold that we can’t get similar player at 20. Depends on the draft, but those elite players are usually not outside the top 5.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Thomas and Kyrou were all outside the top 5. I’d be happy getting a player like them at 8-10.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

The statistical likelihood of getting a good player starts to decline pretty precipitously after the 10th pick, historically. But we shouldn't exaggerate the impact of those stats when looking at any given year's specific population available at those picks.

And why root for a top 10 pick? Why not root that the Blues can buck the trend and pick up one of the top 2 or 3 players in the draft at a later pick? Where did Subban or Karlsson get drafted? Why not just root to do the best they can now, and then STILL get the better player than the teams picking before them. Its probably more likely or close to winning the draft lottery anyway.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think if we keep living in the penalty box, that will happen.

Yeah boys, goon it up! Old time hockey eh!

Bring back a bunch of goons from the past, Twist, Chaser, whoever else we can...the fans will be into it, and people won't mind the losing as much! Great idea!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I would prefer to get a Kane, Laine, Matthews.....
This really is the most important point. Sure, it is possible to get great players later in the draft. It happens every draft, but statistically the best players are found near the top, especially the top 3. Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Thomas, Parayko etc. are good players. I'm happy to have them on the team and in the organization. They're not superstars, though. They're not players you should build an organization around(though Tarasenko used to be, he is clearly no longer that level of player). Those are found at the top. The only franchise cornerstone level player we have is Alex Pietrangelo. He was picked 4th overall. That's where great players are generally found. 17 of the top 25 scorers this year were taken in the top 5 of their draft. Of course guys like Kucherov, Point, Gaudreau, Benn etc. exist, but they're exceptionally rare, which is why getting a top 5 pick in a lost season is so important. It drastically increases your odds at a franchise level talent. Good players are found in the second round every year too, and if we're in the top 5 in the first round, we'll have an early second too, which should allow us the opportunity to select another very good prospect for our pool(or trade it for NHL talent because 2nd round picks are extremely overrated).

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Man if we finish with a top 10 pick (Without winning the lottery) this would be one of the most disappointing seasons I could ever remember, this team has no business missing the playoffs.

Yeap, like something catastrophic would have to happen to have a pre-lottery top 10.

Even with the lottery I’d be severely disappointed in a top ten pick. No reason this team should miss the playoffs, goaltending included.

Still like Dach.

First 3 post made me laugh. first time going through this thread today...we were so hopeful.....

I like Kirby Dach... his #'s are strong and his highlights look great. Big body and he doesnt look awkward at his size(Thompson) He could add a few LBS but he creates room with his body, strong on his skates, speed doesnt seem to be amazing, but looks solid and has really good vision. I would be all for him. it seems that he is going really high now though and i think we are going to play ourselves out of the top 5.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I still don't know how to handle Armstrong. He basically did exactly what I hoped he could do during the off-season. Everyone here thought he handled things really well. But it's not working.... but I still don't really know why. He might have hanged on to Yeo too long, but that didn't magically turn us around either.

I have no idea how to handle Armstrong this year. Hopefully he sells because if he tries to buy that I might lean toward getting rid of him, but I don't know.

The lack of a coach ready to step in after taking too long to fire Yeo was a big problem. Him starting this media frenzy on the trade front because of his press conference didn't help either.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
With 1st round still being a toss-up depending on placement post lottery. Come 2nd round, if he is still available I hope Blues take a hard look at G Spencer Knight. If Blues want to continue their goalie every year draft strategy, he is one of the top goalie prospects. He is the technical type with really good movement, Definitely looks like one that meets the Blues' system-type goalie. While I'm sure Cayden Primeau will get the bulk of the starts in the upcoming WJC, I hope hope we get to see Spencer in a few games. He's heading to Boston College next season. We are all going to watch their games, so we can drool over Jack Hughes. Might as well check Spencer out.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
First 3 post made me laugh. first time going through this thread today...we were so hopeful.....

I like Kirby Dach... his #'s are strong and his highlights look great. Big body and he doesnt look awkward at his size(Thompson) He could add a few LBS but he creates room with his body, strong on his skates, speed doesnt seem to be amazing, but looks solid and has really good vision. I would be all for him. it seems that he is going really high now though and i think we are going to play ourselves out of the top 5.

lol to be fair, I still think I'm right, this team has no business being this bad, it's a disgrace.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
As much heat as Armstrong has coming his way, thank goodness he put that top 10 protection in there. At the time, I thought it was just busy work...but it looks pretty wise now. I doubt Buffalo thought it was likely to factor into things.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For the posters that follow the draft propsects more, how deep on elite talent is this draft? 3? 5? 10?

I guess, what pick would be worst-case scenario, where we just miss out on one of the truly top guys?

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
For the posters that follow the draft propsects more, how deep on elite talent is this draft? 3? 5? 10?

I guess, what pick would be worst-case scenario, where we just miss out on one of the truly top guys?
I think you'll get some wildly different answers given preferences, but I'd say this draft has 10 guys with consensus elite talent. Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens, Byram, Turcotte, Zegras, Newhook, Podkolzin, and I would even throw Krebs in there as well. I'm sure one could make an argument for Spencer Knight being an elite goalie prospect, and of course there are going to be guys with loads of talent that get overlooked due to some perceived deficiency. But I would say the 10 I listed all possess the right amount of talent to become elite talent, all with varying amounts of risk.

On an unrelated note, has anyone had the pleasure of viewing Pavel Dorofeyev? His MHL stats are very good, and he's played quite a bit on the KHL squad. I was reading one poster state how he preferred Dorofeyev over Podkolzin, so I was curious.

Reactions: Ranksu

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

Here's the problem, we aren't tanking.

We have a collection of very good hockey players playing terrible hockey.

We could very easily flip a switch one day and make the playoffs. We've turned bad seasons around later than Dec 14th before. And not too long ago. When Hitch was fired or in 2008-2009 for example.

We could also flip a switch but not all the way and get the 11th overall pick.

I just don't think we have a bad enough roster to finish bottom 3-4 in the league. One day I think something will click enough that we finish around 7th-12th worst.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Here's the problem, we aren't tanking.

We have a collection of very good hockey players playing terrible hockey.

We could very easily flip a switch one day and make the playoffs. We've turned bad seasons around later than Dec 14th before. And not too long ago. When Hitch was fired or in 2008-2009 for example.

We could also flip a switch but not all the way and get the 11th overall pick.

I just don't think we have a bad enough roster to finish bottom 3-4 in the league. One day I think something will click enough that we finish around 7th-12th worst.

Yea unfortunately this is the case. I'm still hoping for a wild card, but realistically sometime in the next few months we are going to win like 6-7 in a row and take ourselves out of at least the Hughes/Kakko type talks.

I'm still hoping we can get in at like 8-10 range though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
With the lottery though, you can easily jump into the top 3. That's how Philly got Patrick or Carolina got Svechnikov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->