Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft tracker

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It seems like just taking raw data can skew everything. There are many cases, particularly in the QMJHL, where players post huge scoring stats and never have an impact in the NHL.

You’re right, and that’s what the model does. The Q is a high-scoring league, and it’s usually 20/21-year olds putting up those gawdy numbers. So by using scoring translation factors, and adjusting for age and era, you can control for those effects. In order to compare across leagues, you have to normalize your data somehow, and that’s how he does it (in a very broad sense).

What picks by Dallas are making them stick out like a sore thumb?

Harley is a good prospect for sure, but he went too early though. Their next 3 picks were real bad, which tied a boat anchor to their score and pushed it overboard (since it’s an average).

Reactions: Davimir Tarablad

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I like Pronman’s quote in the Athletic about the Blues draft.

“These are always the fun ones to write because I can say I don’t think the Blues added a ton this weekend, and I’m pretty sure zero Blues fans will care.”

I mean, he’s not wrong. If this board is any indication, the Blues staff could have set fire to the draft table without picking anyone and I’d still say the draft was satisfactory after this year.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
You’re right, and that’s what the model does. The Q is a high-scoring league, and it’s usually 20/21-year olds putting up those gawdy numbers. So by using scoring translation factors, and adjusting for age and era, you can control for those effects. In order to compare across leagues, you have to normalize your data somehow, and that’s how he does it (in a very broad sense).

Thanks for the info. This statistical modeling is all way past my pay grade.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad