Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft tracker

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If the season ended today the Blues would be drafting top-6! :sarcasm: In the event the coaching & goaltending keep the Blues in the basement for much of the season, at least they'll have the hope of landing some special talent in the 2019 draft. Here is an early look at Pronman's top guys for next years draft, per The Athletic:

SPECIAL PROSPECT
Jack Hughes, C, USNTDP-USHL
Hughes is one of the best skating forwards I’ve seen in the past decade. I’m not sold he’s Connor McDavid/Nathan MacKinnon level, but he’s one small notch below. He brings elite speed to go along with elite puck skills and great vision. He’s the ultimate playmaker who drives play like few others. His physicality remains his biggest weakness as a small, slight center, but everything else about his game screams top level player. He’s not a generational prospect, but projects to be an average/quality first overall prospect.

ELITE PROSPECT
I didn’t want to create another tier, but in the elite prospect group, I would say the No. 2-4 prospects have a mild separation from the rest. Further, I don’t think the gap between Kaapo Kakko to Jack Hughes is that large and, if Kakko continues to play at the level he’s shown all season, he could start to generate a debate.

Kaapo Kakko, LW, TPS-Liiga
Kakko’s been playing a major role for TPS to start the season, being a top-line forward for his Liiga team. His skill level and playmaking are high-end and border on elite. He can beat defenders 1-on-1 with ease, maneuvers very well in small areas and can create offense out of nothing. He won’t wow you with physicality or speed, both are about average for me and he needs to bulk up quite a bit, but he has the potential to be a premier playmaker off the wing in the NHL due to his skill. He also has a very good shot and can beat goalies from a distance.

Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon-WHL
Dach has the kind of tools you dream of when thinking of an ideal prospect. A 6-foot-4, right-handed center, with high-end puck skills and hockey sense who can skate competently is the kind of prospect you can easily see impacting the NHL. He’s been on fire to start the WHL season, and I’ve been very impressed by his offensive creativity and ability to see the ice.

Matt Boldy, LW, USNTDP-USHL
Boldy’s development has been something to behold as a guy who wasn’t considered a top guy in his age group a few years ago is now considered one of the very best prospects in the 2019 class. His skill level is very high and his hockey IQ is elite. His creativity is ridiculous and his ability to make unique plays with consistency is quite noticeable. Since first coming into the USNTDP, he’s shot up two inches to 6-foot-2, and his skating, considered a weakness by some scouts I talked to last season, hasn’t seemed that affected — if anything, it’s improved.

Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL
When I talk to my USA based sources about Zegras, the word Clayton Keller gets thrown around quite a bit. He’s got a ton of high-end tools. His speed, puck skills and vision all get plus grades. He can drive play and create chances with frequency but needs to bulk up and be better in battles. He’ll be the No. 2 center on the NTDP behind Hughes, but a careful observation of his abilities will reveal a player who can be a game breaker in the pros.

Vasili Podkolzin, RW, St. Petersburg-MHL
Podkolzin is a very fun player to watch. He’s very skilled and can make unique plays as a puck handler and passer, but it’s the energy he brings to every shift that is noticeable. He’s a fierce competitor, who battles hard for every puck and always believes he has a lane to take pucks to the net. His stride is a little weird but powerful, and he can get up the ice with above-average speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
We don't have a 1st this year.
I too thought that, until it was confirmed by posters on this board that the Blue 2019 1st round pick is top-10 protected, as per Army's usual tendency when dealing away first rounders. If they have a 1st rounder, it's because Jake or Yeo bottomed out, the team was decimated by injuries, or they traded away somebody at the deadline for the 3rd year in a row.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I too thought that, until it was confirmed by posters on this board that the Blue 2019 1st round pick is top-10 protected, as per Army's usual tendency when dealing away first rounders. If they have a 1st rounder, it's because Jake or Yeo bottomed out, the team was decimated by injuries, or they traded away somebody at the deadline for the 3rd year in a row.
Ah, you're right. Let me rephrase: I hope we don't have a 1st round pick this year.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The last few years have been very East-Canada heavy, but this year there is a major shift south and west. The WHL is going to have a ton of really high-end talent, and so is the USHL, including the USNTDP.

This is looking like a McDavid-esque type draft, with a few “generational” guys like Hughes and Kakko at the top, and solid players through the 3rd-4th rounds. We should, hopefully, be able to make a Vince Dunn-type impact in the second if we don’t move up.

Not sure if this is the “right” thread for it, but it will be interesting to see if we sign any college players again this year, as there are several guys worth watching for who are eligible to start their pro careers.

A deep class all around.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Man if we finish with a top 10 pick (Without winning the lottery) this would be one of the most disappointing seasons I could ever remember, this team has no business missing the playoffs.
Even with the lottery I’d be severely disappointed in a top ten pick. No reason this team should miss the playoffs, goaltending included.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Between Hughes and Kakko I think I’m leaning towards the Finn. Hughes may end up a winger ala Pat Kane where Kakko is currently being groomed as a pro-center. if the Blues don’t fix what ails them a top-10 pick is unavoidable. This would be a great year to pick top-10, if they’re going to flop.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm really liking what I see out of Kirby Dach, personally. The guy just seems like a Scheifele-like player, and those are my absolute favorite kinds of centers.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
A top 10 pick would be almost impossible to miss on. I’d like to see Broberg on the roster next year. Dunn’s skating was always a little overhyped to me. He’s a good skater but Broberg is on a different planet.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I would take any of them, obviously, but the one that stands out for me is Dach. Really like what I have read about him. I'm going to look for some video.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I hope we land #2 OA and take Kakko.

Kakko, Bokk, and Mikkola. Maybe trade for Pokka?

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Jokiharju?

Btw Kakko is guy who can crack NHL lineup already next seadon. He's ahead of Laine and Pulju at his same age.

I was really high on Jokiharju at the draft, and very sad he was taken by the Hawks.

BluesTraveller

Mar 5, 2012
St Louis
At this rate, we will end up 11-15, no playoffs, no 1st round pick. Just like last season. (I know we traded Stastny to get back in)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I hope we land #2 OA and take Kakko.

Kakko, Bokk, and Mikkola. Maybe trade for Pokka?

Why Blues management should trade Kakko ( if Blues drafts him), Bokk and Mikkola for Pokka.
Pokka is KHL defenceman who never wasn't good enough to make it in NHL ( similar to Jori Lehtera).
That trade would be terrible and unforgivable mistake.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Why Blues management should trade Kakko ( if Blues drafts him), Bokk and Mikkola for Pokka.
Pokka is KHL defenceman who never wasn't good enough to make it in NHL ( similar to Jori Lehtera).
That trade would be terrible and unforgivable mistake.
He's making a joke about names with "kk" in them.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
If the Blues wind up picking around 10th overall I would really like to see them take Raphaël Lavoie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->