2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

CLW and BeSeeingYouSeattle both posted about Hughes and Matthews but they both seem to be saying that Hughes is not on the level of Matthews.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
WJC is going to be great. The top two picks for 2019 will both be playing top line minutes. Neither Hughes nor Kaako impressed me that much at the 2018 U18s. Can't wait to see how they've grown.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If the Coyotes are going to win the draft lottery I want them to win next year and draft Lafrenniere. Looks like the Coyotes will draft top 5 anyway. They will get a solid prospect regardless but the franchise talent is Lafrenniere in 2020.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Is Lafrenier regarded more highly than Hughes? They're 5 months apart so you could compare them almost directly atm.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If they get that La guy, we'll have to come up with a shorter version of that name for sure. Looks hard to say sober. Can't imaging how it would come out after a few drinks.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why? I don't watch any of these kids but how do you compare Hughes to Keller and AM's, and who do you compare Lafreniere with?
I guess I’d compare Lafreniere to Eichel maybe. Just a complete beast all around. Hughes more like a Keller/Kane combo but closer to Clayton than to Patrick. I like Lafreniere more because he’s big and strong and has all the tools and swagger. Hughes is small and weak and doesn’t have the best shot. The strength will come with age and the shot with improve with strength.

I’m not saying Hughes is a bad prospect or that I don’t like him. I’m very excited to see him go head-to-head with Kakko at the WJC this week.

If Hughes and Kakko both dominate and they end up a coin-toss, that’s great for us. It basically doubles outnumbered lottery odds. If nobody can choose between Krebs, Dach, Cozens and Podkolzin at number three than so much the better. Means we could lose all three lotteries and still end up with a guy in the mix for the 3rd lotto spot.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If they get that La guy, we'll have to come up with a shorter version of that name for sure. Looks hard to say sober. Can't imaging how it would come out after a few drinks.
:huh:

La Fren Yay. Not that hard.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Cozens is the perfect fit for this roster.
Echo that.

Only problem is getting Chayka to use a high pick on a non-premium position. He did it with Keller - so he probably just needs the winger to be head and shoulders better than the center.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Echo that.

Only problem is getting Chayka to use a high pick on a non-premium position. He did it with Keller - so he probably just needs the winger to be head and shoulders better than the center.
Cozens is a C / RW.

Plus, looking at the roster there is Schmaltz, Dvorak, Stepan, Galchenyuk, Hayton, and Richardson as C's. Chayka needs to get the most talented player / BPA regardless of position.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
If the Coyotes are going to win the draft lottery I want them to win next year and draft Lafrenniere. Looks like the Coyotes will draft top 5 anyway. They will get a solid prospect regardless but the franchise talent is Lafrenniere in 2020.

I'm not sure I'm willing to jump on the Laf>Hughes train yet.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

The phrase used often around here "we're not allowed to have nice things" isn't for nothing.

But it's still not a complete excuse either. You should be able to be better at drafting, particularly in the 00's where we just got killed, than we were even without high picks.

Dallas's highest pick on their roster for example is Heiskanen (3 OA) and he's a recent pick at that. Their core is mostly made up of middle firsts or later, in some cases much later.

Of course being the beneficiary of the Seguin trade helps too but much of their depth and core was built unconventionally.

Nashville is another example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad