2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How was my Tkachuk scouting report?

"He's a bull in a China shop power forward with good skating and great hands both from a playmaking and in tight scoring perspective. He has a I'm going to do whatever it takes to win mentality. I've loved his game for over 2 years. His game will translate to the pro level meaning he doesn't have to change his style to be successful. He will be an elite power forward at the NHL level."

Wrote this Feb 28th.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is it too early to the revisit the Tkachuk can't score and shouldn't be ranked at 2 discussion?
No. Not at all. I’ve never seen a player be a better scorer in the the NHL than he was in D1 the year previous. It’s incredible. He was obviously a homer run pick.

Reactions: RABBIT

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Is it too early to the revisit the Tkachuk can't score and shouldn't be ranked at 2 discussion?

Well, taking a grain of salt on the sample size, I'll gladly eat crow on this one. Looks like both the Coyotes' and Sens' scouting departments had a better feel for him than I did.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Well, taking a grain of salt on the sample size, I'll gladly eat crow on this one. Looks like both the Coyotes' and Sens' scouting departments had a better feel for him than I did.

Saw a comment that Tkachuk was playing C for large parts of his draft season, which affected his goal scoring but he still carried his team more or less by himself (quoting a senior Ottawa scout).

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

This is the Hughes I don't like. Hopefully he can impress me another time.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Kakko is the big #24 skating circles (too many circles maybe) around fully grown men. With a bit of work on directness Kakko could become a Rantanen like player, he seems more inclined to set up others than go for the finish himself. I'd like for Kakko to be more direct NHL style when it comes to finishing and setting up chances.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
It will be fun to follow the growth of these players and the other prospects this spring. There is always someone who shoots up and develops a lot late in the draft too.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It will be fun to follow the growth of these players and the other prospects this spring. There is always someone who shoots up and develops a lot late in the draft too.
It’ll be Hughes 1. Kakko 2. And I love about 6 names for 3oV.

Reactions: Heldig

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
That settles it, we’ll pick 9th.
guaran-f***ing-teed

Well either that or 5th where Kakko will inexplicably fall only for the Yotes to walk up to the podium and announce they are taking some left shooting defenseman that most had expected to go around 15.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I was thinking that the other day. Those Tkachuk kids are a chip off the old block. They are exactly the type player we could use right now.

Reactions: moosemeister

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
with that said, we're never lucky enough to win #1 overall, so we'll never have to worry about it...and in this draft as long as we're in the top 10 we're going to get a great player if Chayka doesn't go Defense.

I really like Krebs and he should be available with our pick around 5/6/7

I'd also like for us to trade Goligoski+ to pick up another late 1st rounder to select Pelletier and then select Leason with our pick in 2nd round.

I'd drool over our 1st 3 picks:
Krebs
Pelletier
Leason

Was just about to ask if anyone has seen Leason - he is an overager, so hard to say how that works for or against him, but I could see him being there in the late 2nd/early 3rd (he may even be climbing ahead of that, too). Big winger. I think that we are continually getting players who have good compete, skating, and skill, but aren't rounding that out with a couple of bigger guys who can use their size and grit to assist. We have looked a little soft, but it would be a different story if I felt that we had someone other than Crouse to be that guy that gives fits to others.

Are there any other later round picks with some of the size/face-punching ability who won't be a huge liability down the line?

Leason, Soderblom, Keppen, Barlage, and Meyer all appear to be in that late 2nd - 5th round range with some size/grit and don't appear to be the types who would be certain liabilities, but there are no guarantees with these types and their development path.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Here goes: (in order of who I want - no Dman in this group)

1st round - Hughes/Kakko/Cozens/Krebs/Dach/Turcotte/Zegras/McMichael/Newhook/Kaliyev/Caufield/Legare/Pelletier/Foote
2nd round - Hoglander/Leason/Brink/
3rd round - Tomasino/Nikkanen/Grewe/Saarela/Fagemo/Pasic/

no Russians either as I haven't watched any of them.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004
We now have the 4th worst P% in the league.

Lottery Odds for 4th worst:
1st: 9.5%2nd: 9.6%3rd: 9.7%4th: 2.8%5th: 26.1%6h: 34.0%7th: 8.3%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
We now have the 4th worst P% in the league.

Lottery Odds for 4th worst:
1st: 9.5%2nd: 9.6%3rd: 9.7%4th: 2.8%5th: 26.1%6h: 34.0%7th: 8.3%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I like that our odds are improving, but let's face it, Coyote fans should never by lottery tickets. :eyeroll:

Reactions: Lawson of Anarchy

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What is the upside on Cozens, Dach and Krebs? I havent seen many comparables and havent invested too much time watching any of their games yet.

rt

May 13, 2004
What is the upside on Cozens, Dach and Krebs? I havent seen many comparables and havent invested too much time watching any of their games yet.
All are high skill, all have good size, all can play center, all are good two way players, all have good motors and compete hard. So they’ll go in the three spots before we pick. Haha.

Dach has an explosive start that made me think he’d end up No1 overall. He’s since cooled and has only a point or two in his last nine or ten games.

Krebs is playing well by all accounts but on a bad team which makes it tougher to evaluate.

Cozens is doing Cozens things, as I understand it. Steady.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Yeah I think because they play similar games it has been difficult to judge their uoside. Your dewcriptions sounds like Hayton.

Are we talking about Mohannon/Hovart/ROR types. Do any of the centers this year have Barkov/Schieffle/Johansson upside? I feel there was a lot of hype going into this year but its feeling more like the 2016 draft rather than the 2013.

rt

May 13, 2004
Krebs and Cozens and Dach are playing C full time this season it looks like. They’ve all got 500ish FOs. Krebs and Cozens right around 50% while Dach is more like 40%

Dach is leading his team in scoring by a good margin. Cozens is 2nd on his team and one of a few very productive players right in his range. Krebs is basically the only player on his team. Nobody else is anywhere near him.

I know Dach is on his team’s top PK. I believe Krebs is a top PK guy too. Not sure about Cozens.

Dach and Cozens both have around 100 shots on goal which is average for top scorers in the league. Krebs is a little lower than that but his team sucks. Dach is definitely a pass-first type. Cozens and Krebs are more likely to shoot.

They’ve all played around 100 WHL games and are all around a point per game.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah I think because they play similar games it has been difficult to judge their uoside. Your dewcriptions sounds like Hayton.

Are we talking about Mohannon/Hovart/ROR types. Do any of the centers this year have Barkov/Schieffle/Johansson upside? I feel there was a lot of hype going into this year but its feeling more like the 2016 draft rather than the 2013.
They’re all much better skaters than Hayton was last year. All much more productive (league adjusted scoring especially), too. All are considered strong leaders and hard workers and all play advanced two-way games, with hustle and grit. So there’s definitely similarities among all four players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad