2019 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects - 2018/2019 Season

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Here is the post right below my initial response.

I wouldn't consider myself a spreadsheet scout who hasn't watched the MHL, and doesn't have an understanding of the league.

Whether he was responding directly to me or my opinion, its a mischaracterization, at best. Not everyone who criticizes Podkolzin's stats are spreadsheet scouts. Some of us have a different opinion than him. Is that not allowed? Thats what he's trying to say. He's trying to say our opinions are invalid.

Thats your own personal opinion. I think differently. I think he has been very good for Russia. I have him ranked high in my rankings, but not in the top 5. You say he's no McDavid or MacKinnon, so why the outrage that someone might have him lower than you do?
I'm don't get outraged by your rankings, lol. You're the one who started to criticize Podkolzin's offensive ability and one of your main points were his production in league games you have not seen in the MHL and the VHL. And how those stats might confirm your doubts about his offensive game. I just don't agree with this - especially when we compare him to other top prospects in this year's draft. We can criticize Jack Hughes on how his points total has stagnated from last season - or how Kakko's PPG in Liiga is lower than Granlund's or Barkov's in their draft year. I have seen enough of Podkolzin to evaluate his hockey IQ. You have liked his game when playing for Russia, but have doubts. You're taking his low sample size point totals out of context to confirm your doubts and blowing it out of proportion IMO. I trust my own eyes when evaluating prospects/making rankings and not based on what might or might have been happening on games I have not seen. Points do matter, and if they look disastrous there's a cause for concern, but Podkolzin's stat lines look just fine to me in that view. If you disagree then we disagree, and time will tell what will unfold.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm don't get outraged by your rankings, lol. You're the one who started to criticize Podkolzin's offensive ability and one of your main points were his production in league games you have not seen in the MHL and the VHL. And how those stats might confirm your doubts about his offensive game. I just don't agree with this - especially when we compare him to other top prospects in this year's draft. We can criticize Jack Hughes on how his points total has stagnated from last season - or how Kakko's PPG in Liiga is lower than Granlund's or Barkov's in their draft year. I have seen enough of Podkolzin to evaluate his hockey IQ. You have liked his game when playing for Russia, but have doubts. You're taking his low sample size point totals out of context to confirm your doubts and blowing it out of proportion IMO. I trust my own eyes when evaluating prospects/making rankings and not based on what might or might have been happening on games I have not seen. Points do matter, and if they look disastrous there's a cause for concern, but Podkolzin's stat lines look just fine to me in that view. If you disagree then we disagree, and time will tell what will unfold.

I also question his hockey IQ. He tries to play at too fast of a pace. I thought he really struggled at the WJC when his team established zone possession. He's a good quick-strike player. At lower levels, most of the points I've seen him score have been off the rush.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What about Arseni Gritsyuk?

He has a badass name, decent numbers in the MHL, and I’ve seen some nice highlights of him from different tournaments.

Still intrigued by this kid.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Afanasyev, Nikolayev, Okhotyuk, Guskov, Knyazev, Kochetkov, Spiridonov, Abramov, Bychkov, Dorofeyev and Podkolzin are among prospects, who have been invited to the Scouting Combine.

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Afanasyev, Nikolayev, Okhotyuk, Guskov, Knyazev, Kochetkov, Spiridonov, Abramov, Bychkov, Dorofeyev and Podkolzin are among prospects, who have been invited to the Scouting Combine.

Do you have the link?

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Do you have any insight on Dmitry Voronkov? Overager by a few days playing in the VHL.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Kinda surprised that Zaitsev is not invited. Also Firstov.

Firstov was invited, but declined. Also Misyul, Gutik, Slepets and Chistyakov.

Do you have any insight on Dmitry Voronkov? Overager by a few days playing in the VHL.

I liked what I saw from him for the U20 NT in Sochi recently, reminded me of Andrei Svetlakov with his grittiness.

Reactions: Leopain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->