2019 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects - 2018/2019 Season

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Been waiting for your list, Caser! Surprised about Knyazev and Okhotuyk being so high. Especially Okhotyuk.

Thanks! As I've already mentioned, I'm a bit biased towards D due to them being a deficit on Team Russia. Also at this point, the emphasis is on the ceiling and it's hard to deny that these two got it even despite things not going extremely well for them recently.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Obviously I can't answer that question, but by Kaprizov example I meant that if at some point a player seems to be mediocre by some standard, it is not a good reason to think that he will be mediocre in the future too.

Hopefully by spring a few guys distinguish themselves and rise on your list.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Thanks! As I've already mentioned, I'm a bit biased towards D due to them being a deficit on Team Russia. Also at this point, the emphasis is on the ceiling and it's hard to deny that these two got it even despite things not going extremely well for them recently.

Knyazev actually hasn't been too bad. I had very low expectations because of his problems last year, but so far he is Chicoutimi's top defenseman.

Either he or Groleau.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Love this thread and look forward to it each year. Really appreciate your insight and the answers to any questions that you give Cesar. Same goes to the other posters who see a fair amount of the young Russians who make this thread what it is. Thanks for all the good work done so far in putting this together and the updates that will surely follow as the season progresses. Not easy to keep track of the up and coming Russian players where i live!

Reactions: Caser

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
One of the names, who probably should be added to the watchlist already at this point is first year eligible LHD Igor Usmanov (6'3", 198 lbs; Lada Togliatti, VHL) - he is getting a good role in one of the strongest VHL teams and just got invited to the U20 NT - that's kind of hinting that I totally missing out on him.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Caser or others,

Can you please comment on the potential for Alexei Polodyan, he went undrafted last year but does not appear on your overagers list but had a fine showing at the super series last year. Do you see him getting drafted this year and if so, what is his upside?

Thanks

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Just out of curiosity. Does anyone have an opinion on Leonid Klimov from Almaz?

Really big RW, who plays high-energy game and is comfortable in front of the net, but the skating... well, so far that skating doesn't impress me at all, but I didn't give a too close look.

Caser or others,

Can you please comment on the potential for Alexei Polodyan, he went undrafted last year but does not appear on your overagers list but had a fine showing at the super series last year. Do you see him getting drafted this year and if so, what is his upside?

Thanks

Unfortunately after really impressive first half of the last season, Polodyan wasn't that good later and this season his issues are clearly continuing: he can't properly make VHL team's line-up, while even younger guys can.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Just an interesting note, there is a quite lot of relation to other hockey players/coaches this year:

Matvei Guskov - son of Alexander Guskov (former Russian NT defenceman and CBJ draft pick)
Oleg Zaitsev - brother of Yegor Zaitsev (NJD prospect)
Daniil Misyul - brother of Oleg Misyul (Belorussian NT defenceman)
Yegor Chinakhov - son of a former FW Vitali Chinakhov (NYR draft pick)
Danil Zinovyev - Yevgeni Kuznetsov's brother-in-law
Roman Bychkov - son of a known Yaroslavl youth hockey coach Maxim Bychkov (actually I'm not totally sure on this one)
Ilya Altybarmakyan - brother of Andrei Altybarmakyan (Blackhawks prospect)
Alexander Cherniy - son of Valeri Cherniy (former FW, who has 300+ games in higher Russian/Soviet leagues, now a youth hockey coach)
Alexei Tsyplakov - son of Yuri Tsyplakov (former Russian NT forward and current KHL referee)

ms35

Mar 7, 2018
Caser, what do you think, the Russian youth hockey League NMHL is able to give players to the NHL draft, what is the level of its strength?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Caser, what do you think, the Russian youth hockey League NMHL is able to give players to the NHL draft, what is the level of its strength?

It's been some time since I last seen any NMHL action, but the level of it is not too high to say the least. The only properly talented players there are usually on Loko-Yunior team, as these are players, who would've been in the MHL in a weaker organization. Ok, Dizelist also produces a decent player or two from time to time. Most of the other teams are just an opportunity for younger players not to quit hockey very early.

Reactions: ms35

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

It’s full of junior aged players who’ve graduated from youth hockey (u-17) but aren’t good enough for the MHL; apart from, like Caser said, many of the guys in Yaroslavl’s system.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Thanks for the list, Caser. I can't say I've had enough viewings yet to comment on the rankings but it'll give me some more names to focus on.

1 player that has stood out for me in the early going is OA Kirill Tyutyayev (avto), although he's likely too small for NHL consideration at this point in his career.

Just out of curiosity. Does anyone have an opinion on Leonid Klimov from Almaz?

I thought a team would use a late round pick on Klimov last year. He has good size, decent speed, good with puck possession in the offensive zone and along the boards, not short on offensive skill. He reminds me of Joel Armia.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
What is Podkolzin's personality like? He seems to play with an attitude but do you have any idea what he is like personally? Is he outgoing for example or more withdrawn? Is he a team leader type?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
would slepets have a chance to get picked as a over age player?

If only he would perform like he does with the U20 team all the time, but without such a motivator as Bragin, he doesn't really seem to care that much to perform game in and game out.

@Caser, are there any good goalies in this draft? It seems like Russia has produced at least one or two good goalies every recent draft.

Kochetkov and Konovalov look interesting this year.

What is Podkolzin's personality like? He seems to play with an attitude but do you have any idea what he is like personally? Is he outgoing for example or more withdrawn? Is he a team leader type?

At least he is U18 Team Russia leader.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There was a long interview with him (might be in his thread around here) I translated to get the gist of his personality which of course is not the ultimate authority but I do also look him up on social media sometimes and from what I can tell he's a intelligent and thoughtful kid with a warm personality that makes him a good leader type. During WJAC some of the commentators talked about how they were impressed how he carried himself, always kind and respectful to those working around the event and doing things like giving opponent stick taps for good saves type stuff.

Reactions: CLW

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has anyone seen Ivan Rogov play? He seems to have some pretty good stats as a 17 year old draft-eligible defenseman on Almaz. High point totals and best +/- on the team.

That Almaz team has a couple of players who are draft-prospects between Petrov, Rogov, Chizhikov, Fyodorov, Grachyov and Shushkov. Of course, its a guessing game if any will get drafted, but those players all have draftable stat lines.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
What is the size for Vladimir Bakanin? Couldn't find much info on him except he is one of the youngest players eligible for the draft and has decent stats for his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad