2019 NHL Draft, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I think I want Caufield but I'm getting more and more confused with whom to take at 10. Newhook, Boldy, Caufield, Krebs, etc. I'll just defer to the people who do this for a living and not bitch if they get it wrong. Seems like a lottery to me.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
But Pettersson always took the puck to the net. Zegras is more of a perimeter player than Pettersson was.

And im not going to say Zegras has low IQ b/c hes got great vision, but hes not Pettersson smart either. (tho most aren't)

I dont make this off just the u18 either this is what Ive thought for awhile based off NTDP play. Im still keeping an open mind but so far I saw the same against Russia.

Correctly or incorrectly in this case, and this is why opinions and group think are so dangerous when scouting, listen to the end of this clip.

The same comments were made about pettersson playing on the permiter.

Anyway I think i beat this drum enough, we will see how this one plays out. And I will admit if I am wrong about him.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Correctly or incorrectly in this case, and this is why opinions and group think are so dangerous when scouting, listen to the end of this clip.

The same comments were made about pettersson playing on the permiter.

Anyway I think i beat this drum enough, we will see how this one plays out. And I will admit if I am wrong about him.

I've never thought of him as a perimeter player, even when Millard said that I didn't think of him like that.

2:18 - 4:13 - 4:45 - 6:36.

Wasn't afraid to go to the net or take the puck into traffic. And watching this video back he probably wasn't given enough credit for how good his shot was, Zegras doesn't shoot like this.

Agree to disagree. Right now I'm not as high on Zegras, and I think Krebs/Newhook bring more to the table. But he has the speed & skill to become a great player & make me look totally wrong, so we'll see.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Unless Byram, kokko, Hughes or Turcotte are available at 5-8 you don’t trade up in this draft from the Canucks point of few. You also don’t trade back unless it’s 2-4 spots and the haul is significant
The canucks are in no way in the best spot, but they are in a very good position to pick up a faller and there most certainly will be a faller or they get their choice of the tier 2.5 players who are making really strong cases for top ten
Soderstrom, broberg and heinola are actually not bad picks in the middle of the draft

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Would you trade 10 with Podkolzin available for Montreal 15 and both their 2nds?

Not sure if Montreal would want to do that but they might view it as getting a top 3 pick if he was that high on their board.

Gives the Canucks options to get back into the first round with a late pick.

If Podz is there at 10, you run to the podium and take him.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Going from basically everything I have read, and heard on the radio and podcasts.

If you were not going to win a top 3 pick (Hughes,kakko,byram).
4-12 Is basically completely wide open in talents.
Not much differentiate between them.
Funny enough, It could be the best time to pick 10th in awhile.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Worst nightmare. Soderstrom will be a top 4 dman, maybe even top pairing, but he does not have that elite potential that a player like Caufield or Boldy would have. If Byram isn’t there (and he won’t be) then we need to take BPA and that will be a forward.
Just because Juolevi did not work out, does not mean Soderstrom will not work out.
From reports, Soderstrom is awesome, and you might be selling him short.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I think I want Caufield but I'm getting more and more confused with whom to take at 10. Newhook, Boldy, Caufield, Krebs, etc. I'll just defer to the people who do this for a living and not ***** if they get it wrong. Seems like a lottery to me.

Is this Ron Delorme?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Just because Juolevi did not work out, does not mean Soderstrom will not work out.
From reports, Soderstrom is awesome, and you might be selling him short.
I’m not basing it off Juolevi at all. In fact I love Juolevi and think he’ll be a top 4 dman for years. I think Soderstrom will be too, I just like Caufield + Boldy more

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Extremely unlikely we are passing on Boldy. Better chance we try and trade up to draft him imo

Agreed, I don't think they pass on Boldy.

I don’t really like Zegras much.

I want Caufield or Boldy forsure. I’d also love to nab a mid first to take Newhook. Kid is going to be a top 6 forward

Why don't you like Zegras? He's my top forward in VAN's range.

Not sure Newhook is there past 12.

I have a real fear Benning will pass on Boldy, Caufield, Newhook, Krebs etc to take Soderstrom. Very Benning.

What would be wrong with taking Soderstrom? The Euro Dmen are being underrated.

If Zegras is not there, I hope they take either one of Heinola or Soderstrom.

Reactions: BerSTUzzi

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
What would be wrong with taking Soderstrom? The Euro Dmen are being underrated.

If Zegras is not there, I hope they take either one of Heinola or Soderstrom.

The only issue with the defensemen is that none of them are top-tier prospects outside of Byram. I don't see much there that profiles to the top pairing. If our scouts believe that one of these guys is going to be Heiskanen 2.0 then go ahead. Just don't draft a middling, second-pair defenseman and leave an elite scorer on the board. There are plenty of opportunities to draft non-blue chip defensive prospects in rounds 2-7.

There's a reason there is not a defensive prospect outside of Byram ranked in the top 10 on most draft boards.

Reactions: Cupless44

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Every time I look away Caufield has another goal. Now at 11 in less than 4 games in the world U18s. Well on his way to beating Ovechkin's record of 14 goals in 8 games.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Every time I look away Caufield has another goal. Now at 11 in less than 4 games in the world U18s. Well on his way to beating Ovechkin's record of 14 goals in 8 games.
If he is.there at 10 ,if.the Canucks dont move up,or cant move up.,I'd take Caufield in a heartbeat,but I'm thinking that the way he is playing right now at the usa18,that he is a fast riser at the draft.Mark me as a Caufield fan.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I've elevated Boldy to the 2nd tier of the draft, he is just as dominant of a player as those top players and IMO would not be a reach at 3. Hard to tease out the order but I would take him over Caufield still. I feel pretty comfortable with the top 11 if not the order:

Hughes
Kakko
Boldy
Podkolzin
Turcotte
Zegras
Caufield
Byram
Broberg
Krebs
Brink

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
As dumb as it is to draft for need high in the draft, it’s even dumber lower in the draft.

Literally every pick rounds 3-7 should be one of 4 types of player :

1) skilled productive player rated down in the draft because they’re small.

2) skilled productive player rated down in the draft because they’re slow.

3) skilled productive player rated down in the draft because they were passed over in a previous draft.

4) high-IQ defenders with good ES production who are rated down in the draft because they didn’t rack up PP points.

If a player doesn’t fit one of these categories ... bad pick. And you take the best option who fits these categories regardless of position.
Uhhh where are we going to get meat and potatoes with this method?

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
If he is.there at 10 ,if.the Canucks dont move up,or cant move up.,I'd take Caufield in a heartbeat,but I'm thinking that the way he is playing right now at the usa18,that he is a fast riser at the draft.Mark me as a Caufield fan.

From the fan perspective it looks like most people are now penciling in Caufield @ 7th or 8th, Buffalo or Edmonton.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I've elevated Boldy to the 2nd tier of the draft, he is just as dominant of a player as those top players and IMO would not be a reach at 3. Hard to tease out the order but I would take him over Caufield still. I feel pretty comfortable with the top 11 if not the order:

Hughes
Kakko
Boldy
Podkolzin
Turcotte
Zegras
Caufield
Byram
Broberg
Krebs
Brink

... Where are Dach and Cozens? They will both be in this mix with Krebs at the Brink level.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
If Podkolzin is there at 10 I trade back and let someone else have him for an extra 2nd

Exactly.Hopefully someone else will roll the dice on him but using our top 10 pick on a Russian player just isn’t worth the risk given our history there.
Lots of intriguing players in the second round that could be good as well.

Reactions: THE Green Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad