2019 NHL Draft, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You wouldn’t trade Virtanen+Hutton+2 2nds for a shot of having Boldy+Caufield?
No...thats two youngish NHL players (who still have room to improve), plus two 2nds for a spin at the wheel with players ranked around the 10-12 mark....Thats a risky trade....

If we were trading Jake and Hutton plus 2 x 2nds..It would be a proper hockey trade for an established NHL player..

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
They aren't being rewarded for working hard at the end of the season, it's just a chaotic system.
I ageee with that. Really Canucks could’ve finished dead last, 2,5,6,9,10,15 and they wouldn’t have got a top 3 pick. It’s sadly just “our luck”.. we have yet to move up in draft. Blame it on the odds, luck, etc. This lottery system isn’t setup for us.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
They're resetting decently but that core isn't on par with the Canucks, they have no one like Pettersson or Hughes.

Umm didn't Debrincat score 40 with Strome at about PPG? I love QH but what the heck? Boqvist too was picked one behind Hughes. Agreed they don't have a Petterson, but they have a 3OA.

I guess its not just our bad but good on Chicago for re-stocking while winning. We've seen the same with Boston as well. It goes to show that tanking isn't the be-all end all. Anyways, sorry for the sidetrack.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Umm didn't Debrincat score 40 with Strome at about PPG? I love QH but what the heck? Boqvist too was picked one behind Hughes. Agreed they don't have a Petterson, but they have a 3OA.

I guess its not just our bad but good on Chicago for re-stocking while winning. We've seen the same with Boston as well. It goes to show that tanking isn't the be-all end all. Anyways, sorry for the sidetrack.
Debrincat is good but also plays with Kane and Toews (I know people will say they don't play together often but lets be real), Strome was near bust territory until he started playing well once traded to Chicago. Boqvist might be comparable to Hughes somewhat but I still think Hughes is the better overall player minus the shot. Thats yet to be determined though I understand.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Cole Caulfield now has 7 goals and 2 assists in 2 games @ World U18s... Hughes 4 goals 4 assists... Boldy 1 goal 6 assists.

Reference: Ovechkin had the most goals ever in a U18 tourney with 14 goals in 8 games.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No...thats two youngish NHL players (who still have room to improve), plus two 2nds for a spin at the wheel with players ranked around the 10-12 mark....Thats a risky trade....

If we were trading Jake and Hutton plus 2 x 2nds..It would be a proper hockey trade for an established NHL player..

It's not risky at all. Virtanen and Hutton aren't anything special. The 2 2's are nice, but if you're getting the 11th overall pick it's a deal you make.

Reactions: Steely Van

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Caufield, Boldy, and Hughes look absolutely dominant at the U18's.

Newhook is having a good showing for Canada, rewarding my faith in him over the year. If he falls I could see him ending up like Veleno where people wonder how the hell he fell...kid should definitely be in the conversation at 10.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Caufield, Boldy, and Hughes look absolutely dominant at the U18's.

Newhook is having a good showing for Canada, rewarding my faith in him over the year. If he falls I could see him ending up like Veleno where people wonder how the hell he fell...kid should definitely be in the conversation at 10.

Newhook, Tracey and Krebs have been looking good for Canada. Tracey may be pushing up into the first round now. I think he's proving the doubters wrong that he's a product of his linemates in Moose Jaw.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's not risky at all. Virtanen and Hutton aren't anything special. The 2 2's are nice, but if you're getting the 11th overall pick it's a deal you make.
As an example of the last five 11th OA's...Wahlstrom,Vilardi,Brown,Crouse,Ritchie...Most of these are nothing special....As usual, every year, people get carried away with the sexy 'buzz names' at the draft...Will Boldy or Caulfield be elite, or will they be Josh Leivo and Jordan Schroeder?

Virtanen has improved every year..and Hutton is a solid #5 (on good team)....The value of Virtanen,Hutton and two 2nds is fairly equal to what Calgary gave up to get Travis Hamonic..I would do that type of a deal than a swing the fences with the 11th OA in this draft.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
As an example of the last five 11th OA's...Wahlstrom,Vilardi,Brown,Crouse,Ritchie...Most of these are nothing special....As usual, every year, people get carried away with the sexy 'buzz names' at the draft...Will Boldy or Caulfield be elite, or will they be Josh Leivo and Jordan Schroeder?

Virtanen has improved every year..and Hutton is a solid #5 (on good team)....The value of Virtanen,Hutton and two 2nds is fairly equal to what Calgary gave up to get Travis Hamonic..I would do that type of a deal than a swing the fences with the 11th OA in this draft.

I would rather use that package, including our 10th to move up to 4 to get Byram, but you are grossly overrating Virtanen and Hutton. Both are replaceable pieces. Hutton in particular is likely to get overpaid because of the bloated salary structure Benning has in place here. I would be fine if neither were back.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Draft Caufield

XXX Pettersson Boeser
XXX Horvat Caufield

And give Panarin the keys to the city and a blank cheque
Eriksson Pettersson Boeser
Schaller Horvat Caulfield
Spooner Sutter Gaudette
Leivo Beagle Virtanen

Still a lot of yuck, and thats hoping Granlund doesnt sign here again

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Cole Caufield looking dominant.....he'll drop to somebody in the first round who's prepared to roll the dice on a 5'6" player.

But of course a slightly bigger version in the person of Jordan Schroeder, broke all of Jeremy Roenick's scoring records for the Yanks at the WJC, and was a first rounder for the Canucks. We all know how that worked out.

But that's always the risk....he could be the next Johnny Gaudreau and Alex DeBrincat or the next Petrus Palmu.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Soderstroms Corsi was apparently 39%, which was the lowest on his team. I only found that 1 offhand source though, and the original article is unreachable. I can't find any advanced stats for the SHL, unfortunately. But The Puck Authority states he had a 39% corsi for at the beginning of Feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad