2019 NHL Draft, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Yep maybe he plays top 9 next year but theres no gurantee he will be able to do that in an NHL level.

Playing top 9 next year means nothing either if he tops off as a top 9 player.

Would much rather have someone who doesnt make the team next year but develops into a top line player or pairing but just wasnt as physically mature and ready as Leason is now
do you really know how many of those players are available outside the top 10 of every draft??
you're making yourself look silly

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He's outproducing every 2017 drafted 1st round forward still in the CHL this year.

That's absolutely worth a 1st round pick and I'll sure as hell take that over someone who isn't even P/G like Nolan Foote.

"Man this 18 year old could turn into anything though, he could even turn into a Brett Leason in 2 years"

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
do you really know how many of those players are available outside the top 10 of every draft??
you're making yourself look silly

Ill take my chances on krebs boldy broberg in the top 15

And let someone else draft a soon to be 20 yr old playing Junior hockey

Reactions: zcaptain

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Kakko's who i want the most (hope we land #2 ovr) but assuming we're in the 7-10 range i like the idea of Zegras or Krebs. Both LW/C's with lots of potential, especially Zegras.

If we're in the 12-15 range then might as well go with Soderstrom or Seider (might be a bit high here for Seider). Unless ofc someone like Turcotte falls. Don't like what im hearing about Kaliyev.

IMO unless there's a clear cut BPA then the biggest needs are RH TWD (sorely lacking this draft) or a guy for Horvat to play with. Horvat-Kakko makes me drool.

From the Zegras thread:

Zegras thrives in shadow of Hughes ahead of 2019 NHL Draft
High praise from Wroblewski:
"When it's time to make a choice for who's playing where on the power play between him and Jack and which guys get to go out next, he makes a very strong argument for being the best power player on the team. His ability to navigate the half-wall on either side and pick apart the opposition is as good as I've ever seen. He finds the seams. He knows when to shoot. He's got deception to his game and there's fearlessness to him that he's not scared to make mistakes -- and he doesn't make many of them. He's just been an unbelievable player to watch.

"He's a first-line player in college hockey right now," Wroblewski said. "He'll step in and I'm sure if (Philadelphia Flyers prospect) Joel Farabee is still there, that's probably a combo you will see right out the gate. Trevor will be a first-line center for them [BU] and the go-to power play guy as a freshman, no doubt in my mind."

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
In our area, I really like the idea of grabbing Moritz Seider. We have Hughes and Juolevi on the left, so adding Seider to the right side would solidify our top 4 for a while assuming we keep Tanev around for a bit. He’s so physically mature and solid that he could almost be ready for NHL action, he’ll need probably one year of tenderizing before hopping over.

Pelletier has been playing quite well, and I would prefer him over Kaliyev. The size is obviously the issue there, and he is quite a determined player who doesn’t give up as easy as Kaliyev, but the size is still a deterrent. If we’re picking in the top 10, Kaliyev and Pelletier shouldn’t be options, we should be looking at guys who are falling a little bit from that top forward group which will interchange a bit still before the year is up. I expect Zegras to be a top 5 pick, and Turcotte to jump again once fully healthy.

So given your top10 below, you're grabbing Seider and/or Leason at #11/#12?

Kakko
Hughes
Byram
Zegras
Turcotte
Dach
Cozens
Podkolzin
Soderstrom
McMichael

Also, where does Boldy rank with you?

I like that Soderstrom is in your top10. His shot and lack of offensive aggression are my only concerns. He does near everything else well.

With McMichael I see 2C upside. What is your read?

I really like Nick Suzuki, but his production is just killing his value.

In Mckenzie's mid-term rankings, I see that Pelletier is #31 and Kaliyev is #13. Hoping Benning is able to grab a late 1st and get JP. Or, get McMicheal, who is himself ranked at #26.

Broberg is also consistently getting ranked ahead of Soderstrom. Interesting. Not the way I would go.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
So given your top10 below, you're grabbing Seider and/or Leason at #11/#12?

Kakko
Hughes
Byram
Zegras
Turcotte
Dach
Cozens
Podkolzin
Soderstrom
McMichael

Also, where does Boldy rank with you?

I like that Soderstrom is in your top10. His shot and lack of offensive aggression are my only concerns. He does near everything else well.

With McMichael I see 2C upside. What is your read?

I really like Nick Suzuki, but his production is just killing his value.

In Mckenzie's mid-term rankings, I see that Pelletier is #31 and Kaliyev is #13. Hoping Benning is able to grab a late 1st and get JP. Or, get McMicheal, who is himself ranked at #26.

Broberg is also consistently getting ranked ahead of Soderstrom. Interesting. Not the way I would go.

Boldy would rank just behind the listed 12. He’s got a nice scoring touch but I don’t think he’s got any elite potential in him, could be a nice second line option.

McMichael is a personal favourite of mine, he reminds me of Auston Matthews the way he drifts down into the circles and just finds the net so easily, he’s one of the best pure goal scorers available from the Center position. He will probably project as a 2nd line center, but he does have the toolbox to be a 1B type center.

Soderstrom and Seider would both fit our RD need well, so either of them works for me. As you mentioned for Soderstrom, the lack of offensive punch is a little of a worry, hopefully that can still develop a bit more. Seider’s numbers aren’t great yet either but I feel he can step in soon, he’s so physically mature and the offensive will develop based off of some nice flashes he’s shown in limited minutes. After that top 10, I would grab Leason or Seider, correct.

Ryan Suzuki has a really nice start, but he’s been slowing down. You can see the faults shown off a little bit, I know a few scouts that are quite high on him for other reasons and really like his play style, but I still wouldn’t put him in that group, more around the 15 range.

Broberg is still getting propelled by the WJC which is quite frustrating to see. He’s a long ways off and should be treated like a project. I think he’ll end up in the Ryan Merkley range of 18-25 where a playoff team takes a chance on him.

I’m really not high on Kaliyev. He’s so sexy and has such offensive skill, but he just doesn’t look engaged. The warning bells go off in your head when you watch him away from the puck and your mind soars to some of the lazy traits you see. The worst part was that he tested quite well in some of the skating drills at the Prospects Game, so he’s not an awful skater, he just doesn’t have the drive it seems. It draws me into thinking about where that has Goldy right now. He’s not an awful skater, and he definitely has some good skill. Goldy had 94 points in his OHL draft year for around a 1.3 PPG. If you look at Kaliyev, he’s got a very similar trend to him. People saw the warning bells go off for Goldy, so it makes me wonder how far Kaliyev will slip. I wouldn’t touch him with a lottery pick, he’s too much of a risk for a pick we need to nail. He’s going to end up in the early / mid 20’s for me.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Yep maybe he plays top 9 next year but theres no gurantee he will be able to do that in an NHL level.

Playing top 9 next year means nothing either if he tops off as a top 9 player.

Would much rather have someone who doesnt make the team next year but develops into a top line player or pairing but just wasnt as physically mature and ready as Leason is now

The better point would be would you rather take a top9 player up to a first liner for sure (leason) or someone that might be a topline player - complete bust

You have to evaluate both the floor and ceiling for players. The chance both develop into their max or their worst and see where your at. There’s no guarantee that waiting a year outside the top 10 you get a first liner.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Personally, would not take Byram in the top 10. Don't even think he's the best draft-eligible defenseman in the WHL. Will continue to watch him, but I'd be somewhat surprised if he actually ends up being the top D taken at the draft.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Personally, would not take Byram in the top 10. Don't even think he's the best draft-eligible defenseman in the WHL. Will continue to watch him, but I'd be somewhat surprised if he actually ends up being the top D taken at the draft.
Really? Who do you think is better in the W? Robertson?

I would easily take him top 4-7 right now. Kid is such a gifted skater that he easily is a top4 defender for me. Smart, good stick, anticipation can play in all situations. he's a Dan Hamhuis to Roman Josi for me.

Watched Leason vs Byrum last night and Leason did very little against Byrum. I've been bullish on Leason to date but after the U20s and again last night i'm starting to doubt if he has top6 potential. Some of his movements and polish are a little sluggish for NHL standards. Shots and passes are not crisp and precise.

I think he's gonna be a solid player dont get me wrong i'm just questioning his upside and keeping in mind he's older and is already further along the development curve. i can see him mid to late 1st round now whereas a couple months ago i thought the scouts were way off on this kid not having him higher

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I'd like to hear some reasoning for this. Far and away my top defender of the draft.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

Really? I love Byram, definitely a top 5 guy for me. Dach is the consensus guy I wouldn't take in the top 10.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

Not enough like Pouliot huh

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
What do all you guys think of Thomas Harley? Sounds like he's a good skater has good size and is one of the youngest players in the draft. I know he's a Ld but if Olli disappoints he might be a better option.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Boldy would rank just behind the listed 12. He’s got a nice scoring touch but I don’t think he’s got any elite potential in him, could be a nice second line option.

McMichael is a personal favourite of mine, he reminds me of Auston Matthews the way he drifts down into the circles and just finds the net so easily, he’s one of the best pure goal scorers available from the Center position. He will probably project as a 2nd line center, but he does have the toolbox to be a 1B type center.

Soderstrom and Seider would both fit our RD need well, so either of them works for me. As you mentioned for Soderstrom, the lack of offensive punch is a little of a worry, hopefully that can still develop a bit more. Seider’s numbers aren’t great yet either but I feel he can step in soon, he’s so physically mature and the offensive will develop based off of some nice flashes he’s shown in limited minutes. After that top 10, I would grab Leason or Seider, correct.

Ryan Suzuki has a really nice start, but he’s been slowing down. You can see the faults shown off a little bit, I know a few scouts that are quite high on him for other reasons and really like his play style, but I still wouldn’t put him in that group, more around the 15 range.

Broberg is still getting propelled by the WJC which is quite frustrating to see. He’s a long ways off and should be treated like a project. I think he’ll end up in the Ryan Merkley range of 18-25 where a playoff team takes a chance on him.

I’m really not high on Kaliyev. He’s so sexy and has such offensive skill, but he just doesn’t look engaged. The warning bells go off in your head when you watch him away from the puck and your mind soars to some of the lazy traits you see. The worst part was that he tested quite well in some of the skating drills at the Prospects Game, so he’s not an awful skater, he just doesn’t have the drive it seems. It draws me into thinking about where that has Goldy right now. He’s not an awful skater, and he definitely has some good skill. Goldy had 94 points in his OHL draft year for around a 1.3 PPG. If you look at Kaliyev, he’s got a very similar trend to him. People saw the warning bells go off for Goldy, so it makes me wonder how far Kaliyev will slip. I wouldn’t touch him with a lottery pick, he’s too much of a risk for a pick we need to nail. He’s going to end up in the early / mid 20’s for me.

Thanks for the response. My take:

- Boldy must be in the top10. I don't see elite upside either, but he's got everything to suggest that he will be an NHL forward. On top of that, he has a plus shot, which should see him as a high goal scorer in the future.

- I'm weary of shoot first centres. I like McMichael's skill set, but I see a cap there because of his play style from the middle.

- I prefer Soderstrom over Seider. My target for a defender has to have a solid 200 ft game. Especially when the offense is hard to read. If there is production, then an all out OFD is fine. Seider is in that middle ground where his offense is not aligned with his skill set. Soderstrom seems far safer a bet by comparison, despite what he gives up in size/raw physical traits.

- Leason after the top10 for me as well. I like what he's doing, but I like other high end options more.

- Suzuki is either going to be a terrible pick, or one that has people kicking themselves later on for passing, there's no middle ground. His lack of offense combined with his already questionable game away from the puck is worrisome. On the other hand, his creativity and shot are there.. He has the tools to be a 1LW/1C.

- Agreed on Broberg.

- Good comparison between Goldobin and Kaliyev. Skill is apparent, but the lack of drive is also apparent.

- Pelletier is in consideration for me as high as pick #9.

My list right now:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Cozens
4. Byram
5. Dach
6. Turcotte
7. Zegras
8. Boldy
9. Soderstrom
10. Pelletier

Podkolzin I would not draft in the top10. Something about his game just does not translate for me. That said, he is probably #11 there.

Reactions: Tryamkin

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I'd like to hear some reasoning for this. Far and away my top defender of the draft.

He's not an elite player. His skating is overrated, he's not particularly brilliant, doesn't play with enough pace, he doesn't have dynamic skills although he's probably stronger in that department than skating or IQ. He's still ahead of most guys because it's a weak D class in general, especially CHL, but if I had to pick the WHL guy I'd have ahead of him is Lassi Thomson. There is someone with elite upside. Also looked like by far the best D at the TPG, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
What do all you guys think of Thomas Harley? Sounds like he's a good skater has good size and is one of the youngest players in the draft. I know he's a Ld but if Olli disappoints he might be a better option.

He's just okay right now, but there is some upside there. Pretty good skater, good size, defends adequately, not too much offense ability but maybe that can develop, weak shot.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Like to hear more about Cam York and Robertson? I feel they're being underrated quite a bit among the defense group. IIRC Mitch Brown (CHL prospects tracker on twitter) had some glowing transition numbers regarding Robertson.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Looking at this draft and personally thinking we will be somewhere from 7-10, drafting anywhere in the top 15 we are getting a good prospect to add to our group.

1.Hughes
2.Kakko
3.Podkolzin
4.Cozens
5.Dach
6.Byram
7.Turcotte
8.Zegras
9.Krebs
10.Kaliyev
11.Broberg
12.Boldy
13.Soderstrom
14.Suzuki
15.Lavoie

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Most of the hockey odds-maker have the Cancucks finishing basically where they are now....somewhere in the low to mid-80s in points and just below the playoff bar (9th-10th).

I suppose this would meet Benning's stated goal of 'playing meaningful games' in March. But really, I'm just not seeing how that advances the Canucks cause in the long term.

They really need to bite the bullet and deal Tanev and Sutter at the TDL. Sure they'd take a step backward over the short term. But they'd get a decent haul for both and probably end up enhancing their draft position in what the experts are claiming is a deep draft for 2019.

Jimbo seriously needs to be a 'seller' at the deadline.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Most of the hockey odds-maker have the Cancucks finishing basically where they are now....somewhere in the low to mid-80s in points and just below the playoff bar (9th-10th).

I suppose this would meet Benning's stated goal of 'playing meaningful games' in March. But really, I'm just not seeing how that advances the Canucks cause in the long term.

They really need to bite the bullet and deal Tanev and Sutter at the TDL. Sure they'd take a step backward over the short term. But they'd get a decent haul for both and probably end up enhancing their draft position in what the experts are claiming is a deep draft for 2019.

Maybe they should send Pettersson to Utica?

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
My list right now:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Cozens
4. Byram
5. Dach
6. Turcotte
7. Zegras
8. Boldy
9. Soderstrom
10. Pelletier

Pretty similar to mine:

1. Hughes
2. Kaako
3. Byram
4. Cozens
5. Podkolzin
6. Turcotte
7. Zegras
8. Caufield
9/10/11. McMichael/Newhook/Boldy

- I'm quite surprised someone would have Pelletier over Caufield despite the two inches Caufield is giving up there. Caufield's goal scoring numbers are completely mental and he's doing it against very strong competition. 6 goals and 3 assists in his last 4 games against good college programs U.S. National Under-17 Team - 2017-18 Regular Season - Roster - #59 - Cole Caufield - F

- You don't like Podkolzin and I don't like Dach:laugh:
I know I'm being unreasonable about him because he is clearly talented, there's just too much gentle giant in his game for me to really rate him.

- As for the Brett Leason discussion, I don't think top 10 is unreasonable. He produces at an obviously elite rate despite being probably the least skilled guy in my top 15. Considering he only really has 40 games of draft-able play under his belt I would have a hard time taking his elite production over any of the 7-8 elite skill guys in this draft, with the exception of maybe Dach.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

I would be hesitant to trade Tanev for a first in this draft. I think the talent really falls off around 15-20. There are guys I like after that, just not as a top 40 pick type of player.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
My list right now:

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kappo Kakko

3. Alex Turcotte
4. Peyton Krebs
5. Matthew Boldy
6. Vasili Podkolzin

7. Dylan Cozens
8. Moritz Seider
9. Bowen Byram
10. Kirby Dach
11. Arthur Kaliyev
12. Lassi Thomson

13. Victor Soderstrom
14. Jakob Pelletier
15. Cole Caufield

Not a big fan of Zegras at the moment, too perimeter and not enough compete, despite being fast his motor could be higher. Pure playmaker and doesn't offer much else, not sure he's skilled enough to just be a skilled player. Damn good playmaker though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->