2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I still dont feel like I have a grasp on this draft class. Top 10-15 feels stronger than last 2 years, but without a true top end talent like Dahlin. The sheer amount of top end forwards and centers reminds me more of the 2013 draft, but without a McKinnon/Seth Jones type talent. Are Cozens, Dach, and the likes up there with Barkov/Mohanen? Are Kakko/Podkolzen/Hughes up there with predraft Drouin/Domi/Lindholm?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I think Kakko/Podkolzin/Hughes can compete with pretty much everyone if they pan out to full potential. The Cozens/Dachs/Krebs/Turcottes look like star first liners too if they pan out.

For me, what will make the difference for the teams picking is how well the scouts map out the personalities and physical traits etc. of the prospects. This really is a draft where a strong scouting team can and will make a difference. Is there an Yzerman style winner in there somewhere? Will Kakko transition to C full time? I believe he will. What about Podkolzin, C for him as well? This draft goes past the eye test.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I still dont feel like I have a grasp on this draft class. Top 10-15 feels stronger than last 2 years, but without a true top end talent like Dahlin. The sheer amount of top end forwards and centers reminds me more of the 2013 draft, but without a McKinnon/Seth Jones type talent. Are Cozens, Dach, and the likes up there with Barkov/Mohanen? Are Kakko/Podkolzen/Hughes up there with predraft Drouin/Domi/Lindholm?
I think the 2019 draftees rank favourably

I also had Horvat ahead of Domi. I just felt I should point that out as I do have a preference/bias for size.

Reactions: _Del_ and CLW

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Lavoie would have had to put up bigger numbers to be picked before 15 OA. Tomasino for example is 10 months younger and will outscore Lavoie this year. There's so many risers that an older guy like Lavoie, who seems to have plateaued, will drop as the draft approaches. Legare is an example of a riser from the Q who has passed Lavoie imo.

Any relation to Dom?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Interesting dynamic this year with a talent like Caufield available.
Remember part of my rationale behind my ranking of Keller at 8 his draft year was my belief that it didn’t make sense to draft another small top 6 winger with Domi already in the lineup (I’m aware Domi doesn’t play like his height so spare me the debate - we bashed it out his draft year when I favored the C over the small winger). I just think u become so much easier to play against when u completely ignore size as a consideration in your top scoring lines. It’s a balance I know as we’ve also struggled with having skill in the lineup period but I’m hesitant to load up on many smaller wingers unless the skill set is just too much to overlook (as it was with Keller despite my degrading him in my personal rankings). I will be fighting my bias when I look at Caufield in my final rankings. He scores. That’s important.

Reactions: Jakey53 and _Del_

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Remember part of my rationale behind my ranking of Keller at 8 his draft year was my belief that it didn’t make sense to draft another small top 6 winger with Domi already in the lineup (I’m aware Domi doesn’t play like his height so spare me the debate - we bashed it out his draft year when I favored the C over the small winger). I just think u become so much easier to play against when u completely ignore size as a consideration in your top scoring lines. It’s a balance I know as we’ve also struggled with having skill in the lineup period but I’m hesitant to load up on many smaller wingers unless the skill set is just too much to overlook (as it was with Keller despite my degrading him in my personal rankings). I will be fighting my bias when I look at Caufield in my final rankings. He scores. That’s important.

Fair point. For the size argument I still like Krebs despite him being fairly average at 5'11, 180. Reminds me of Brendan Gallagher. Not sure if you burn a top 10 pick on that sort of player, and I'm not huge on WHL forwards historically, but he's high on my list. Probably just outside of my top 5.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Corey Pronman's mid-season list (via The Athletic)

Special Prospect
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
[Note: Pronman feels Kakko has closed the gap on Hughes to where he almost rates them 1A/1B]

Elite Prospect
3. Cozens
4. Dach
5. Podkolzin
6. Zegras

High End Prospect
7. Boldy
8. Byram
9. Newhook
10. Turcotte
11. Broberg
12. Krebs
13. Robertson

Very Good Prospect
14. Suzuki
15. Tomasino
16. Hoglander
17. Harley
18. Lavoie
19. Caufield
20. Soderstrom
21. Legare
22. Leason
23. Gutik
24. Seider
25. Kaliyev
26. Dorofeyev

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I’ve never believed we had a chance at the #1. I feel like we’re going to win Hughes with about a 2% chance.

I loved your post about Hughes coming to us. That's been my exact nightmare scenario since October! Hughes is a fantastic prospect and he will look spectacular at the All Stars for 9 years running I'm sure, but...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I loved your post about Hughes coming to us. That's been my exact nightmare scenario since October! Hughes is a fantastic prospect and he will look spectacular at the All Stars for 9 years running I'm sure, but...
It’s like winning the lottery in the drawing after somebody hits the huge powerball. They get 900 million and you win the 2mil pot and have to split it with another winner. You end up taking home 600kay which solves some serious problems, but you still have to go to work. It’s really nice and all but you’re not really a lottery winner in the same sense as those mega millions guys who all took home half a billion after winning McDavid and Eichel and Matthews and Laine, etc.

Winning Hughes would be a game changer but not a savior. It’s like winning Hischier. I’ll take it, but it doesn’t wipe away all of our problems in one shot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
McEichel haven't exactly been the perfect fixes either.
It’s true. Anyway, there are a bunch or really appealing forwards in our range. Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Cozens, Dach, Krebs, Turcotte, Boldy, Zegras makes nine forwards that I’d be thrilled to add. Apart from Hughes, they’re all mature two-way forwards that would be good fits. Especially Kakko, Podkolzin, Cozens, Krebs, Turcotte and Boldy have that Barrett Hayton element to their games of being really hard workers who have all the details covered.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
McEichel haven't exactly been the perfect fixes either.

Bingo. And long may it continue. Nothing against the two fan bases that won necessarily, just the mindset that you have to be mid 00s Pittsburgh or Chicago to be good, discounting that there's a better chance you'll wind up being..well...Edmonton.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I’ve never believed we had a chance at the #1. I feel like we’re going to win Hughes with about a 2% chance.

In our entire draft history we have only picked top 5 four times. Considering how many terrible years we've had, that's some seriously bad lottery luck.

Turris, Strome, Wheeler, Hayton.

Hoping Hayton breaks the string of high pick heartbreak.

We're due for a lottery win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->