GDT: 2019 NHL/Bruins Free Agent Talk III

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'd still like to know what tipped the scales in Zboril's favor in 2015. Surely Boston's scouts saw an equal amount of him and Chabot. Was it Zboril's supposed "snarl"?

I can't remember exactly, but I think the belief was that Chabot was an offense-only defenseman and Zboril was more well-rounded, plus had a tougher, more physical game.

I think most were perfectly fine with Zboril at the time because the Bruins had no good prospects on defense, but there was a sharp drop-off after the top 3 D, and the Bruins probably would have been better off going 3 F in the 1st round and then 3D in the second, considering how the forward and defense talent compared in the top 2 rounds.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I can't remember exactly, but I think the belief was that Chabot was an offense-only defenseman and Zboril was more well-rounded, plus had a tougher, more physical game.

I think most were perfectly fine with Zboril at the time because the Bruins had no good prospects on defense, but there was a sharp drop-off after the top 3 D, and the Bruins probably would have been better off going 3 F in the 1st round and then 3D in the second, considering how the forward and defense talent compared in the top 2 rounds.

There were a few that didn't like the pick, myself included. Not that I liked Chabot better, but I had questions about Zboril' s work ethic and sometimes very questionable decision making. And to this day I don't think he's improved on them enough.

I understand that he was the consensus next best d-man on all the public rankings, but was he the consensus next best player? I actually liked the Senyshyn pick better. It's no secret I wanted Senyshyn, didn't hide that fact. But I wanted him in the second round (and I still think he'll carve out a pretty good NHL career). I guess that speaks volumes to how much I liked the Zboril pick.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
There were a few that didn't like the pick, myself included. Not that I liked Chabot better, but I had questions about Zboril' s work ethic and sometimes very questionable decision making. And to this day I don't think he's improved on them enough.

I understand that he was the consensus next best d-man on all the public rankings, but was he the consensus next best player? I actually liked the Senyshyn pick better. It's no secret I wanted Senyshyn, didn't hide that fact. But I wanted him in the second round (and I still think he'll carve out a pretty good NHL career). I guess that speaks volumes to how much I liked the Zboril pick.

I think one of the things that some of us forget is that they only had one 1st round pick going into that day. I actually remember that day very well because my cousin was getting married, and I saw the two notifications in the afternoon while I was getting ready that Lucic and Hamilton were traded. I wonder if their picks would have changed if they had more days of preparation knowing they had 3 picks, or maybe they would have pulled off a trade to move up (I think there were rumors that they had a deal to move up to draft Hanifin, and then it fell apart).

It's funny that you mention not liking the Zboril pick because my family rags on me for basically having a meltdown in the back of the wedding while the Bruins were picking, and the only pick I didn't lose it over was Zboril.

Reactions: HustleB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think one of the things that some of us forget is that they only had one 1st round pick going into that day. I actually remember that day very well because my cousin was getting married, and I saw the two notifications in the afternoon while I was getting ready that Lucic and Hamilton were traded. I wonder if their picks would have changed if they had more days of preparation knowing they had 3 picks, or maybe they would have pulled off a trade to move up (I think there were rumors that they had a deal to move up to draft Hanifin, and then it fell apart).

It's funny that you mention not liking the Zboril pick because my family rags on me for basically having a meltdown in the back of the wedding while the Bruins were picking, and the only pick I didn't lose it over was Zboril.

If there is any truth to the bolded, then shame on them and they got what they deserve.

If they were picking only 15th, and only had one name on their list then it's a travesty, because you never know what teams ahead of you are going to do, and if they pick that one player and you aren't prepared if that player gets picked, well then …..

I think they had DeBrusk, Zboril and Senyshyn there just in case. And when they had 3 picks, they used them on those 3.

As for Zboril, no doubt the tools are there. I'm not questioning that. I just never believed the tool box was. I hope I'm wrong and it all comes together for him.

I always felt the same way about Cehlarik. I know many fans here really like him. I'm just not seeing him being what a lot here see he can be. Again, I really hope I'm wrong.

I sometimes get accused of not having bad things to say about the prospects and making it all seem like sunshine and rainbows, and that probably has more to do with trying to focus on the good things they can do to help the team rather then the negatives. But these are two guys I'm having a hard time with.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I get it......

When Laine is on, he has an absolute snipe of a shot and is a dangerous weapon.

However, when he is not, he makes Jimmy Hayes look like an NHL stud.

Making a guy like Laine the highest paid Bruin is riiiiiiiiiiiisky. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand but IMO it's not a slam dunk that adding him is the thing to do IMO.
I would rather have Kyle Connor over Laine and would probably be cheaper to acquire as well.

Reactions: Strafer and Number8

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I always felt the same way about Cehlarik. I know many fans here really like him. I'm just not seeing him being what a lot here see he can be. Again, I really hope I'm wrong.

I sometimes get accused of not having bad things to say about the prospects and making it all seem like sunshine and rainbows, and that probably has more to do with trying to focus on the good things they can do to help the team rather then the negatives. But these are two guys I'm having a hard time with.

You call it like you see it, nothing wrong with that. Regarding Cehalrik, I have been a fan of his for a while but I think the time has come to see what kind of return we can get for him either alone or as a package. He has the tools, like Zboril, but something seems to be lacking. I thought early on it was just the Krejci effect- a calm dude who because he never gets animated and fiery could be mistaken for someone who doesn't care or is disengaged. The more I've seen Cehlarik (last night's game is a great case in point) the more I see that he has great skills and occasionally turns them on and you see why he was a 2nd round pick with promise, but then he goes large stretches without doing much and is prone to boneheaded play. That penalty he took last night was a great example of this. For every great pass he makes, there is one to nowhere. I don't know what it is, because clearly he has some hockey IQ, but something is just not gelling with him.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
You call it like you see it, nothing wrong with that. Regarding Cehalrik, I have been a fan of his for a while but I think the time has come to see what kind of return we can get for him either alone or as a package. He has the tools, like Zboril, but something seems to be lacking. I thought early on it was just the Krejci effect- a calm dude who because he never gets animated and fiery could be mistaken for someone who doesn't care or is disengaged. The more I've seen Cehlarik (last night's game is a great case in point) the more I see that he has great skills and occasionally turns them on and you see why he was a 2nd round pick with promise, but then he goes large stretches without doing much and is prone to boneheaded play. That penalty he took last night was a great example of this. For every great pass he makes, there is one to nowhere. I don't know what it is, because clearly he has some hockey IQ, but something is just not gelling with him.

I see that too but I think he needs some chemistry by playing with the same guys for a bit to see what we have. Blind passes are bad but that may just being unfamiliar with line mates tendencies. He should learn from Coyle how to protect the puck and hold onto it or play it safer by dumping it in.

Problem is Bjork or Kuhlman are ahead of him at this stage. With 2 spots up for grabs they seem to be leading it. Kuhlman with Krech and Bjork with Coyle. Maybe Sweeney tries to showcase a few guys like Celly maybe even Backes, (we can dream) and a few kids before Miller and Moore come back. Rather get something for Celly instead of letting him walk for free.

Reactions: Strafer

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I see that too but I think he needs some chemistry by playing with the same guys for a bit to see what we have. Blind passes are bad but that may just being unfamiliar with line mates tendencies. He should learn from Coyle how to protect the puck and hold onto it or play it safer by dumping it in.

Problem is Bjork or Kuhlman are ahead of him at this stage. With 2 spots up for grabs they seem to be leading it. Kuhlman with Krech and Bjork with Coyle. Maybe Sweeney tries to showcase a few guys like Celly maybe even Backes, (we can dream) and a few kids before Miller and Moore come back. Rather get something for Celly instead of letting him walk for free.

I dont get the "He needs better linemates to be successful" take on Cehlarik and Senyshyn. Steen has not needed better linemates to look good. Lauzon has not needed to be paired with a better guy to look good. Yet both are standing out in their play no matter WHO they are paired with. THAT will catch the eye of management and coaches more than "He looked good with Marchand and Bergeron" because if your doing the right things with AHL talent your most likely going to do even better with NHL talent.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Last season he was up for what, 4 games on a line with Krejci? It doesn't get much better than that in terms of putting him with a guy that could make him look good and he did not impress consistently enough to earn a job. I agree with you he is behind Bjork and Kuhlman but he's had plenty of time and opportunity to show he is as good or better an option than those two and he has not. But since this is the FA thread, I guess it is worth asking what his market value is to a team that needs a prospect F that could give you minutes. A 2nd? A 3rd? Maybe he is better as part of a package?

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I dont get the "He needs better linemates to be successful" take on Cehlarik and Senyshyn. Steen has not needed better linemates to look good. Lauzon has not needed to be paired with a better guy to look good. Yet both are standing out in their play no matter WHO they are paired with. THAT will catch the eye of management and coaches more than "He looked good with Marchand and Bergeron" because if your doing the right things with AHL talent your most likely going to do even better with NHL talent.

I never said Better, where did I say that? You can be successful with lesser linemates and worse off with better ones. All depends on chemistry and playing to your linemates strengths and with confidence.

Steen and Lauzon are more comfortable in their own game and have an advantage over those kinda guys. They have quicker instincts in line with what Cassidy wants. I think Lauzon could be on the team now and Steen next year. They performed well and are separating themselves.

Celly is probably on the way out, Seny the jury is still out on him for one more year. The hesitation and bad passes that Celly does at times must drive Butch nuts. Cassidy wants to play a forward moving up tempo game and guys like Celly and Backes have a hard time fitting into that mold. Hopefully they showcase well enough for a trade. Guys that are selling themselves are Steen, Gaunce, Lauzon, Vaak, Zech, Kuhlman and Bjork.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Anyone who wouldn't take Patrick Laine on their team needs to get their head examined. He's the best pure shooter in the sport. No one on the planet shoots the puck like he does. OV's got the velocity, Matthews got the deception, Laine can do both.

He'll average 40+ goals a year for the next decade+. Personally I don't expect every single pro athlete to eat, sleep, breath the sport they play. No more than I expect anyone to eat/sleep/breath their own job. If the guy pops 40+ goals and spends the rest of his time playing Fortnite on his Xbox, I really don't care.

If I have one concern about Laine it's his back. He's got that same type of build and stride that Mario had and back injuries at a young age on a lanky, larger player can be problematic as they can reoccur over and over.

There is more to player selection than this simple one.

Reactions: Strafer

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I never said Better, where did I say that? You can be successful with lesser linemates and worse off with better ones. All depends on chemistry and playing to your linemates strengths and with confidence.

Steen and Lauzon are more comfortable in their own game and have an advantage over those kinda guys. They have quicker instincts in line with what Cassidy wants. I think Lauzon could be on the team now and Steen next year. They performed well and are separating themselves.

Celly is probably on the way out, Seny the jury is still out on him for one more year. The hesitation and bad passes that Celly does at times must drive Butch nuts. Cassidy wants to play a forward moving up tempo game and guys like Celly and Backes have a hard time fitting into that mold. Hopefully they showcase well enough for a trade. Guys that are selling themselves are Steen, Gaunce, Lauzon, Vaak, Zech, Kuhlman and Bjork.

I should not have replied to you since this was a general reply to several posters who claim Cehlarik & Senyshyn are not getting a fair shake because they need to be paired with NHL talent to perform.
Sorry for the confusion.

As for the rest of your response, I agree.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I should not have replied to you since this was a general reply to several posters who claim Cehlarik & Senyshyn are not getting a fair shake because they need to be paired with NHL talent to perform.
Sorry for the confusion.

As for the rest of your response, I agree.
No problem and you correctly said the guys that are excelling are doing it on their own. Basically Celly is not a good fit here, like to see if we could get something for him though. I still think he is an bottom 6 NHL player, maybe a package deal. The picture should get clearer. We have had so many quality kids on the cusp, be nice to move a few for a piece we need. Like a bigger RW with some snarl that can score. Not asking for much, lol. Guess I am looking for a Neely.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
As for Zboril, no doubt the tools are there. I'm not questioning that. I just never believed the tool box was. I hope I'm wrong and it all comes together for him..

agree. i expect zboril will play in the NHL, but don't think he'll ever become a go-to, trusted
top 3 type. probably tops out as a decent 2nd pairing guy, but the toolbox for me says
bottom pairing guy that bounces around a lot. he's also a victim of the depth of the b's
organization and i'd be shocked if he sticks around much longer.

Reactions: bbfan419

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Zboril is never getting ahead of Lauzen or Vaak. Be happy we've picked up a couple better options since that mistake.
Senny is just as bad maybe he 'could' be a 4th liner but we are loaded with quality bottom 6 options.
Both would be your run of the mill swing and miss mid first if there wasn't a lot of star power left on the board.
Backes is a disaster that needs to be mentioned with them.

Outside of those 3 moves the front office has been near flawless. You look at how bad organizations like Chicago and LA have become and you have to appreciate the fact that we aren't going that route. Both should be a case in point for not bottoming out assuming you will get a superstar in the draft. Its pretty crappy that both have more Cups than us.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Having watched both Zboril and Chabot during their Junior careers, I was far more sold that Zboril`s game would translate quicker and thought Chabot would strictly be only an offensive D man. Now, I haven`t had the luxury to watch Zboril since turning pro other than a few NHL games but looks like he`s struggling to put it together. Still love the skill set but as you mentioned Dom, just not sure if he`s a guy willing to put in that extra effort it takes to push yourself to be the best.

At least with Seny, I listen to clips posted here with Leach or a few articles where he speaks to the work and effort Seny has put in to better round out his game, now, hasn`t put it all together yet but at very least we hear encouraging things about his work ethic and attitude, too bad about Zboril, I was all in on him but hardly the first time I was wrong about a prospect

Reactions: Johnny4778

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Charlie Coyle on extension with Bruins: ‘that stuff will take care of itself whenever’

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney completed contracts for restricted free agent defensemen Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo last week, attention instantly turned to defenseman Torey Krug, who's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent July 1 at age 29.

But Krug isn't the only important Bruins player that could be extended as soon as this minute and be kept from UFA status. Center Charlie Coyle, who the Bruins acquired last season in a trade for prospect Ryan Donato, can be a 28-year-old UFA this summer.

"Yeah, well, I mean I'm under contract now, I'm playing, we're getting going here, so that's my main focus," Coyle told WEEI.com Monday after a morning skate to prepare for Boston's first home preseason game. "And that stuff will take care of itself whenever it happens, whenever we decide to talk and all that. So it's something we've got to deal with, but I'm focusing obviously on preseason and having a good season and making the team. ... Getting a good spot."

Krug has already told pretty much anyone within earshot that he'll be willing to take less than he could get on the open market in order to stay in Boston. The Michigan native has kind of become an adopted Bostonian.

Coyle, on the other hand, is living his dream of playing for his hometown team after having being property of San Jose and Minnesota. It could be difficult for Coyle to find leverage in talks with a team that knows how badly he wants to stay.

"I mean I'm very happy here. I love playing for this organization and this team, and just everything about it. Obviously going on a big run last year that helps just to love this place even more, and see what it's like to go on those runs. It makes you want to win it that much better here, to do it here and make that happen. So I love it here," he said.

His leverage will come from having a big season after impressing Boston with 16 points in 24 Stanley Cup playoff games last season. With Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci entering their mid-30s, and Krejci signed for just one more season after this one, Boston needs younger centers. If the amount of time coach Bruce Cassidy has spent talking about Coyle - in response to questions and unsolicited - this preseason is any indication, the Bruins are going to be hanging on to their hometown hero.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Charlie Coyle on extension with Bruins: ‘that stuff will take care of itself whenever’

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney completed contracts for restricted free agent defensemen Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo last week, attention instantly turned to defenseman Torey Krug, who's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent July 1 at age 29.

But Krug isn't the only important Bruins player that could be extended as soon as this minute and be kept from UFA status. Center Charlie Coyle, who the Bruins acquired last season in a trade for prospect Ryan Donato, can be a 28-year-old UFA this summer.

"Yeah, well, I mean I'm under contract now, I'm playing, we're getting going here, so that's my main focus," Coyle told WEEI.com Monday after a morning skate to prepare for Boston's first home preseason game. "And that stuff will take care of itself whenever it happens, whenever we decide to talk and all that. So it's something we've got to deal with, but I'm focusing obviously on preseason and having a good season and making the team. ... Getting a good spot."

Krug has already told pretty much anyone within earshot that he'll be willing to take less than he could get on the open market in order to stay in Boston. The Michigan native has kind of become an adopted Bostonian.

Coyle, on the other hand, is living his dream of playing for his hometown team after having being property of San Jose and Minnesota. It could be difficult for Coyle to find leverage in talks with a team that knows how badly he wants to stay.

"I mean I'm very happy here. I love playing for this organization and this team, and just everything about it. Obviously going on a big run last year that helps just to love this place even more, and see what it's like to go on those runs. It makes you want to win it that much better here, to do it here and make that happen. So I love it here," he said.

His leverage will come from having a big season after impressing Boston with 16 points in 24 Stanley Cup playoff games last season. With Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci entering their mid-30s, and Krejci signed for just one more season after this one, Boston needs younger centers. If the amount of time coach Bruce Cassidy has spent talking about Coyle - in response to questions and unsolicited - this preseason is any indication, the Bruins are going to be hanging on to their hometown hero.

He's a must re-sign IMO to help with the transition from 37 and 46 to he and the kid centers.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017

If he's productive and you're a bubble team this season, you have to move him. I love him, btw.

Reactions: Lo97

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If he's productive and you're a bubble team this season, you have to move him. I love him, btw.

Not this year. Krug and Coyle are not going anywhere. They either sign an extension or leave as UFA.

Bruins all in for the Bergy-Chara-McAvoy at 4,9M window.

There will be some possible changes in two years with Krejci-Rask-Backes 20M off the books but not now.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Not this year. Krug and Coyle are not going anywhere. They either sign an extension or leave as UFA.

Bruins all in for the Bergy-Chara-McAvoy at 4,9M window.

There will be some possible changes in two years with Krejci-Rask-Backes 20M off the books but not now.
Things change. Long season.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Pierre LeBrun reported yesterday in The Athletic that the Devils and Hall have begun contract talks.

Taylor Hall disputes new rumors of possible contract extension with Devils

Hall declined to say what was discussed during the meeting between Ferris and Shero and Shero was not available for comment Tuesday. However, Hall did reiterate that any reports of a deal being close are false.

While Hall confirmed that his agent met with the Devils over the weekend and characterized it as a positive one, he said the two sides aren’t any closer to a deal than they were before the meeting.

” Hall said. “I wouldn’t say that there is anything close right now because it hasn’t been discussed.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad