GDT: 2019 NHL/Bruins Free Agent Talk III

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
IDK, I think Laine would upset the whole balance on this team. With everybody taking team friendly contracts in walks this guy (a la Tavares in T.O.) and becomes by far the highest paid player in Boston. Biggest mistake the Leafs made. Everyone that followed figured " YOUR NOT SIGNING ANYONE, WHO HASN'T PAID ANY DUES ON THIS TEAM, TO A CONTRACT LIKE THAT, AND THEN EXPECT ME TO TAKE A DISCOUNT" Look at all the contracts that followed Tavares. Every single one was overpay. Easy pass for me on Laine.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Not interested in Laine! His comments about his line mates, him holding out, disappearing for long stretches of the year, no thanks!
I'll take Taylor Hall for free in the offseason please when we have a semi-decent chance to trade Backes and his 6 million dollar cap hit.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Not interested in Laine! His comments about his line mates, him holding out, disappearing for long stretches of the year, no thanks!
I'll take Taylor Hall for free in the offseason for free please when we have a semi-decent chance to trade Backes and his 6 million dollar cap hit.

Free Taylor....Orr/Taylor bruin fan connection ... make it happen Don this offseason!

Reactions: bbfan419

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
I agree on the Laine contracts situation, but with Carlo and Mcavoy signed now I think the window is the next 1-3 years with our expiring F contracts. RW bigger need imo.

Reactions: Strafer

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I haven't seen enough of Laine to really pass a judgement on him, I will convey what Matt Barnaby and P.J. Stock have said about him on NHL radio. Neither likes him, both feel he is extremely lazy and self centered, while both agree he can score they do not view him as a true game changer or playoff player. Barnaby compared him to a lessor Alex Kovalev from his time playing with him in NY, tons of talent, not engaged.

Depending on the cost, both cap wise and return, I think he may be worth it but he comes with some warning stickers.

While older and me always a believer in take the sure thing now there is a part of me that says wait and gamble on Hall

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Vaak, Heinen, 1st for Signed Laine

63 37 29
74 46 88

OUFFFF
I get it......

When Laine is on, he has an absolute snipe of a shot and is a dangerous weapon.

However, when he is not, he makes Jimmy Hayes look like an NHL stud.

Making a guy like Laine the highest paid Bruin is riiiiiiiiiiiisky. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand but IMO it's not a slam dunk that adding him is the thing to do IMO.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Anyone who wouldn't take Patrick Laine on their team needs to get their head examined. He's the best pure shooter in the sport. No one on the planet shoots the puck like he does. OV's got the velocity, Matthews got the deception, Laine can do both.

He'll average 40+ goals a year for the next decade+. Personally I don't expect every single pro athlete to eat, sleep, breath the sport they play. No more than I expect anyone to eat/sleep/breath their own job. If the guy pops 40+ goals and spends the rest of his time playing Fortnite on his Xbox, I really don't care.

If I have one concern about Laine it's his back. He's got that same type of build and stride that Mario had and back injuries at a young age on a lanky, larger player can be problematic as they can reoccur over and over.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Anyone who wouldn't take Patrick Laine on their team needs to get their head examined. He's the best pure shooter in the sport.
Alex Ovechkin disagrees.

I share a lot of people's concerns about his work rate and effort level. When he's scoring, he's a beast. When he's not, he's a liability.

That said, the kid is young and still developing. Like Ovechkin, I think he can develop into a great all around player, but he's not there yet, and the price tag is too rich for my liking.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
is it time to close this thread & just use the "around the NHL" thread yet? All the Bruins FAs are signed & pre-season has begun. just a thought, no big deal either way.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I'd still like to know what tipped the scales in Zboril's favor in 2015. Surely Boston's scouts saw an equal amount of him and Chabot. Was it Zboril's supposed "snarl"?

I remember hearing a lot about his snarl, physicality, and aggressiveness.

Basically he was supposed to be like Clifton. Just has not worked out that way.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'd still like to know what tipped the scales in Zboril's favor in 2015. Surely Boston's scouts saw an equal amount of him and Chabot. Was it Zboril's supposed "snarl"?
Zboril called didn’t surprise me one bit

He was often the 4th rated defenseman in that draft

DeBrusk- last third of first round

Senyshyn top third of second

Carlo end of first top of second

Lauzon middle of second

JFK top third of second round

I have 10 plus years of RL and draft guides etc - McKenzie etc

I took all into consideration and here is how I had it

Zboril was middle first 11-20 and that’s where he went

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Alex Ovechkin disagrees.

I share a lot of people's concerns about his work rate and effort level. When he's scoring, he's a beast. When he's not, he's a liability.

That said, the kid is young and still developing. Like Ovechkin, I think he can develop into a great all around player, but he's not there yet, and the price tag is too rich for my liking.

OV's shot is more about over-powering the goaltender than it is finding holes and picking corners. Not that he can't, but it's not really his MO. He just blows it past goaltenders. No one has a off-wing one-timer as vicious as OV.

Laine can let it rip with not quite the same velocity and power, but he has more shooting tools at his disposal and is a better goalscorer from one side of the offensive zone to the other. OV rarely scores from the right-hand side of the offensive zone. Just two different types of shooters.

Laine is still a work in progress without the puck. He has some maturing to do. He's only 21. Price tag too high? Maybe. Then I see Jack Eichel making 10 million a year and it doesn't seem so bad. Doesn't matter he'd never get 10+ from the Bruins current management group with their current salary structure (and that's a compliment not a negative).

Reactions: Lo97

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I haven't seen enough of Laine to really pass a judgement on him, I will convey what Matt Barnaby and P.J. Stock have said about him on NHL radio. Neither likes him, both feel he is extremely lazy and self centered, while both agree he can score they do not view him as a true game changer or playoff player. Barnaby compared him to a lessor Alex Kovalev from his time playing with him in NY, tons of talent, not engaged.

Depending on the cost, both cap wise and return, I think he may be worth it but he comes with some warning stickers.

While older and me always a believer in take the sure thing now there is a part of me that says wait and gamble on Hall

Swap Laine for Rantanen...and I am in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->