Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Carolina Hurricanes may have scored a second big win over the
Montreal Canadiens this off-season.:laugh: :thumbu: :wg:

Report: Jake Gardiner rejected three-year, $15.75M deal from Canadiens - Sportsnet.ca

They've been disusing this all day on TSN 690. Listening to the takes is just hilarious. They can't come to grips that they are no longer the team everyone wants to play for, quite the opposite these days.

It's a major slap in the face, Gardner took 1.75M less and signed for one extra year. Now, I get that the taxes in Quebec are high but I have to think getting paid in US$ while living in Canada has to offset that.
Montreal is not an expensive city to live in compared to other Major NA cities other than the tax issue.

Perhaps the way the Toronto media treated him turned him off to the pressure of playing for a Major Canadian market team but that's a lot to leave on the table IMO.

Reactions: bbfan419 and TCB

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
They've been disusing this all day on TSN 690. Listening to the takes is just hilarious. They can't come to grips that they are no longer the team everyone wants to play for, quite the opposite these days.

It's a major slap in the face, Gardner took 1.75M less and signed for one extra year. Now, I get that the taxes in Quebec are high but I have to think getting paid in US$ while living in Canada has to offset that.
Montreal is not an expensive city to live in compared to other Major NA cities other than the tax issue.

Perhaps the way the Toronto media treated him turned him off to the pressure of playing for a Major Canadian market team but that's a lot to leave on the table IMO.

JOHNNY V must be having a nice time eating some vachon cakes right now.
few things better than ultimate scab failure

:joker::joker::joker::joker::joker::joker::joker::joker::joker::joker::joker::joker:

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

In 31 Thoughts on Sportsnet.ca it said Gardiner wanted things "Quieter". Doesn't get louder than Toronto and Montreal in the NHL. Some guys just don't like being under the microscope.

Reactions: bbfan419

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
In 31 Thoughts on Sportsnet.ca it said Gardiner wanted things "Quieter". Doesn't get louder than Toronto and Montreal in the NHL. Some guys just don't like being under the microscope.

Gardiner got ripped to shreds for 2 terrible playoffs in Toronto. I don't blame him for not wanting to go to another crazy market. It's not an indictment on the Habs, it's a player wanting to keep a low profile after being the scapegoat/whipping boy several times and I don't blame him.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Gardiner got ripped to shreds for 2 terrible playoffs in Toronto. I don't blame him for not wanting to go to another crazy market. It's not an indictment on the Habs, it's a player wanting to keep a low profile after being the scapegoat/whipping boy several times and I don't blame him.
Given the market, I'd argue he's been seen as the biggest scapegoat in the league the last couple seasons. I don't blame him at all for wanting things "quieter" lol.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Given the market, I'd argue he's been seen as the biggest scapegoat in the league the last couple seasons. I don't blame him at all for wanting things "quieter" lol.

Absolutely. And to be honest I don't blame the Toronto fans either. He was a pure liability in the last 2 game sevens for Toronto and his mistakes led directly to goals for Boston ( :) ). He'd be ripped in any market that cares. I'm still over here livid that Marchand isn't getting tore up for that line change for christs sake. That's probably a me problem, though.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Absolutely. And to be honest I don't blame the Toronto fans either. He was a pure liability in the last 2 game sevens for Toronto and his mistakes led directly to goals for Boston ( :) ). He'd be ripped in any market that cares. I'm still over here livid that Marchand isn't getting tore up for that line change for christs sake. That's probably a me problem, though.

Not just you. Marchand has gotten off very lightly for that costly mistake of his.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I mean, he didn't get to lift the Stanley cup again. Do we need to tar and feather him? Tie him to a fence and hang a Scarlet letter on him?

Of course not, but his mistake was huge and costly and, as mentioned by others, something that no NHL player of his experience should ever do.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Anyone have any insight on Ritchie? Is he a go to the paint and hope for the best guy, or does he have actual puck skills?

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
yeah and was 4-5-9 vs the Laffs in the first 6 games and wasn't great there on out.
Now I'm just guessing here, but might his effectiveness have been hampered by Bergeron's general ineffectiveness as the playoffs went along as well as Pastrnak's inability to keep a puck on his stick after his injury? We'll just chalk those final seven games after he injured himself at the scrimmage as Brad's usual dickishness and say that sort of thing is unacceptable.

Reactions: Lo97 and LouJersey

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
In two rounds the past two years vs Toronto he is 7-11-18. The other four rounds and 22 games he is 2-9-11. Since 2011 he has 19 goals total in 83 play-off games. Not close to being good enough

He led the Tampa series last year in scoring and he led the Carolina series this year! He was two points off the lead vs Columbus and 2nd to O'Reilly among forwards in the finals.

Reactions: Lo97

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not just you. Marchand has gotten off very lightly for that costly mistake of his.
Agree. However Nylander looked listless and sometimes uninterested after the hold out and getting paid big bucks. Mailing it in during playoffs is unacceptable.

Marchand made a big screwup but I think it was a brain fart not being lazy. No one has ever doubted Marchy’s passion and commitment just his thinking sometimes.

He signed a team friendly deal and has consistently delivered the goods. Think that’s why he got a relative pass for that mistake.

Reactions: Lo97

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
yeah and was 4-5-9 vs the Laffs in the first 6 games and wasn't great there on out.

Marchand was actually damn good we just put on blinders based on our own expectations/explanations. On most given nights playing with also injured Bergeron and Pastrnak, Marchand was one of the few still creating any offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad