Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Awards

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
While I don't think it's the be-all, end-all, Bergeron has played 64 and 65 the past two seasons. And the winner has played 81 (Kopitar) and 82 (O'Reilly). If Bergeron plays 80+ in either of those year's he wins at least one out of two. Maybe both.

It may not matter to me or you, but the games played matters to some voters.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
While I don't think it's the be-all, end-all, Bergeron has played 64 and 65 the past two seasons. And the winner has played 81 (Kopitar) and 82 (O'Reilly). If Bergeron plays 80+ in either of those year's he wins at least one out of two. Maybe both.

It sure does because that's the argument they use about a vote against him

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I mean, i'm pretty certain Bergeron's first selke happened against Datsyuk because he played in more games that year than Datsyuk did...I really think that's why it happened.

If you're on the ice more, and you're mr. reliable, you probably take more defensive zone face offs, you spend more time on the PK, etc. etc....i'm not saying that there's no awards bias and i'm sure there were some voters who wanted a new flashy toy as the Selke winner, but that's why I figured why Bergy wasn't getting it this year

If he plays 80 games again next year, I think it changes things.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
As much as we love bergy he's not the same player that was winning selke awards. He also looked old in the playoffs (I know the vote happens before the playoffs.. Sure ) and that's to be expected father time catches up to all of us.

Personal awards have always meant nothing to me anyway.

Reactions: Estlin and Strafer

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
O'Reilly came away with both.

Seems like this is the year that RoR takes over top 2 way center.
This might have been a torch passing this season with O'Reilly with the Selke and the cup. However, Bergeron has been top-5 in Selke voting for 10 straight years and a finalist for 8 straight seasons. No one in the history of hockey has that kind of record.

He's 34 next season and even if he isn't the best anymore, he will still be among the best for several more seasons. I don't think it is no slight to say a soon to be 34 year old forward isn't as good as he was before.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Yeah.

I thought he had enough to win and he was robbed 55 and OK I get it. But that is what swung it when you consider that anyone who didn't vote for him last year likely for that reason wasn't going to vote for him this year.

Reactions: BruinDust

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's amazing to me how many Bruins fans have turned on Bergeron after a tough final playing through an injury and then not winning the best defensive player in the league award.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I mean, i'm pretty certain Bergeron's first selke happened against Datsyuk because he played in more games that year than Datsyuk did...I really think that's why it happened.

If you're on the ice more, and you're mr. reliable, you probably take more defensive zone face offs, you spend more time on the PK, etc. etc....i'm not saying that there's no awards bias and i'm sure there were some voters who wanted a new flashy toy as the Selke winner, but that's why I figured why Bergy wasn't getting it this year

If he plays 80 games again next year, I think it changes things.

Yep. The exact same reason why he didn't win it last year. Tough to win ANY award (other than the Vezina) when you only play 65 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad