Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL All-Star Game

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Between the Canucks and the slower more professional (i.e. rich millionaires) type of hockey that is the NHL over the last few years. I've really fallen in love with the pure hockey and the pure testosterone machismo of the WHL. The NHL skill level is obviously unrivaled in the world. But the energy and excitement level of the WHL I think is way better while you don't have to put up with a lot of the bullshit.

We all love the Canucks and the NHL and it will always be my first love. But the crap really burns me out sometimes and watching kids trying their hardest and pounding on each other in great hockey games in small arenas is just terrific.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Do people really spend a couple of hours watching this stuff?...That three-on-three tournament looks like six guys fooling around on the ice with a puck after practice is over.

It's as far removed from competitive hockey as lawn bowling. Some of players even look embarrassed at having to play this kind of hockey.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Do people really spend a couple of hours watching this stuff?...That three-on-three tournament looks like six guys fooling around on the ice with a puck after practice is over.

It's as far removed from competitive hockey as lawn bowling. Some of players even look embarrassed at having to play this kind of hockey.

The rest of the Canucks seemed to be having way more fun this week lmao

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The rest of the Canucks seemed to be having way more fun this week lmao

Heck, for my money, I’d have loved to have gone and watched the Canucks Autism Network Pro-Am this weekend. Daniel Sedin, Torres, Samuelsson, Morrison, Wellwood, the Courtnalls, Ronning, McLean, Babych, Lumme and more in action.

Reactions: daddyohsix

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've generally enjoyed the format for the last few years, forgot about it tonight until I tuned in for the last period and it really did seem a good degree worse. Probably just doesn't work well when 2 of the 3 games are blowouts.

I like the 3 game format, but really not sold with the games being entirely 3v3. What I saw tonight reminded me of a typical drop in session, where things are going pretty smoothly (as much as drop in can be) but as you get near the end half the skaters start tiring out the flow breaks down and it just ends up being a couple guys with energy left rushing breakaways back and forth. Saw lots of that in the final 10 minutes tonight, it really isn't a good look for pro hockey.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not sure what you guys want. An ASG will never be competitive nor do I even want it to be. I don’t want star players potentially getting hurt over something stupid.

Reactions: VintageBure

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Not sure what you guys want. An ASG will never be competitive nor do I even want it to be. I don’t want star players potentially getting hurt over something stupid.
I don't particularly care about the game itself being competitive, but I don't like how an all-star appointment has lost just about all significance due to the emphasis on getting as many players from all teams possible to increase viewership.

It should be the best players in the league and only the best players in the league. Go back to the two full teams, Western Conference All-Stars and Eastern Conference All-Stars, these are the teams for the actual game.

Then the First All-Star Team is selected out of the entire pool of players, the Second All-Star team is whoever is left. First All-Star appointment should be a higher bonus than Second.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
The 3 on 3 games stuck.. ..so after one team losses the fans do not see those players on the ice again..
So shark fans did not see any more of Burns,Karlsson Pavelski.If I'm a paying fan..I want to see my guys playing.
Go back to the 5 on 5 format..east vs west...3 periods..winner 1 mill...mvp wins the car...just like old times.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
So let me get this straight: there was NO 5-on-5 hockey at this all star game?

Buttmans attempt to dumb down hockey to circus show 3 on 3 only was sad example of a game no way honoring hockey, in comparable terms Imagine NFL playing 6 o n 6 over a half field simply a joke and mockery of real sport.
NHL leader could care less he dreàms bleeds lives to take money fans players and sponsors money is ALL GB gives a damn about .

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
After watching Boeser in it last year, I was looking forward to it. The game was terrible, it was like I just ate at Mcdonald's because I had nothing to eat at home and no other restaurants close by were open. Bada ba ba ba, I'm hating it.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
So let me get this straight: there was NO 5-on-5 hockey at this all star game?
There hasn't been 5-on-5 hockey at the All-Star Game since 2015.

The complaint about the old format was that the players all played at half-speed and there was no intensity. It was usually ten skaters floating around the ice for 60 minutes.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
There hasn't been 5-on-5 hockey at the All-Star Game since 2015.

The complaint about the old format was that the players all played at half-speed and there was no intensity. It was usually ten skaters floating around the ice for 60 minutes.

Ha! Shows you how much I care for this glorified meet-and-greet...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->