NFL: 2019 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I'm not sold this FA strategy will work longterm. The 2018 NFL draft saved their butts big time last season. They won't have a draft like that every year obviously. At some point you need to spend for elite talent.

Are you watching these deals? This is just not going to happen with the Colts as long as Ballard is in charge.

It's frustrating, but it's probably smart not to give a player in decline 15+ mill per until he is 40.

Something tells me Colts will still have a lot of cap room next off season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Are you watching these deals? This is just not going to happen with the Colts as long as Ballard is in charge.

It's frustrating, but it's probably smart not to give a player in decline 15+ mill per until he is 40.

You don’t build through free agency, but you use it to address serious areas of weakness.

Not every draft is going to be a home run.

Reactions: Dominator13

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Foles is a good 1 for sure, wonder where he ends up. Wentz is #1 in Philly, don't think Foles will go back to being a backup.

He's going to end up in Jacksonville.

don't think Jax can afford to have 30+ milly as a cap hit for QBs this season [they're on the hook for Bortles this season no matter what they do, I believe]

So right now Bortles cap hit for 2019 is $21 million. Once they cut him (with a June 1st designation) I believe that will drop the hit to 11.5 in 2019 and 5 million in 2020. Because of the offset in his contract, whatever he signs for with another team in 2019 (say $1 million) will come off as well.

So you're looking at about a $10 million hit in 2019. They have the cap room to sign Foles.

They don't have the cap space, still owe Bortles something around 20 million and they cant even release him without getting killed cap-wise. They're stuck with him unless they did what Houston did with Osweilier and package him with a 1st.

I already responded above, they have the cap space.

Sure if Foles takes a discount. They cant pay him 25/30 million and still re-sign/sign the rest of the roster.

They can easily structure a contract where Foles gets his money but the 2019 cap hit isn't bad. Whether or not they will is another story, but cap won't be an issue. I'm not sure why you think the Jaguars have some sort of cap issue.

Foles to Jacksonville for 4 years / 88 million.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

Had the Colts made that crazy deal... they'd still be at 88 million of cap space, with Landon Collins.

They need to do something at some point.

Sep 19, 2008
I read on social media that everyone was making FA signings but the Patriots who are just sitting pat :naughty:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If they do go the college route...

1. Start at the 50
2. Have to go for two after every touchdown

At least that's what I'd be for
I like that, but after the 1st team scores a td, give the ball to the opponent immediately. If they also score a td, then they could each go for two after. Same concept, but just adds a little more drama to the 2 pt conversion.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There's like nothing out there on Mark Ingram. I'm a little bit surprised.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I tried telling him that months ago.

I don't even know why Colts fans find it frustrating. Ballard has laid out his philosophy in the media a million times , and fans still refuse to listen.

Just let the man do his job. If last season wasn't enough to place a little bit of trust in the dude , I'm not sure what will.

Reactions: m9

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I tried telling him that months ago.

I don't even know why Colts fans find it frustrating. Ballard has laid out his philosophy in the media a million times , and fans still refuse to listen.

Just let the man do his job. If last season wasn't enough to place a little bit of trust in the dude , I'm not sure what will.

The frustration is that Colts will pretty much have to win with the cheapest roster in the entire league. You pretty much have to destroy every draft. One miss is a big step backwards.

That was the issue with Polian. Remember? He was killing the draft until they started picking the Anthony Gonzalez and Donald Browns of the world. Then the OL was a problem, D was terrible, it was a mess. Plus, Polian just refused to admit that DT was a problem. He made 1 move (trading for Booger McFarland) at DT and they won a SB.

I hear both extremes from Colts' fans and honestly, I'm somewhere in the middle.

I agree that, in the long run, overpaying for FAs creates more problems then solutions, but certain positions are more premium then others and require a bigger investment.

If you QB play is below average you invest in QB, overpay if needed. If your pass protection is below average, you overpay.

On defense, it is pass rush or CB. In Colts' system, CB is a lower priority, but pass rush is MASSIVE. Overpaying there is worth it.

Getting shutout in pass rush market would be a mistake by Ballard imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad