NFL: 2019 NFL Draft Prospects (Kyler Murray declares for draft)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Deadspin had a good breakdown of the salary structure. MLB is waiving rules so that they can market that they got the Heisman Trophy winner (not sure why people would care, but ok), that's where the extra $15M is coming from. But supposedly he doesn't get it until he gets to the majors. However, in baseball, arbitration rules don't let people get paid big dollars until they're 28-30 or so. And we've been starting to see how analytics and moneyball practices are beginning to eschew the huge free agent deals and squeezing the market.

So, if you're Kyler Murray, where's the money coming from and when are you getting it?
Mlb is citing Shohei Ohtani to state that teams can sign a player to a minor league deal (like Murray has) then increase the money and add a 40-man spot.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Is it just me or is this one of the most talented defensive drafts in a looong time??

I feel like there are sooo many high end defensive players available in this first round or so.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hot take: He's actually being shortsighted here in terms of a business move for him. Assuming that's his motive.

Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. The 'he can just go play baseball' when he flames out as an NFL QB in his early-mid 20's is a dangerous line of thinking. Who knows if he'll still be able to hit major league caliber pitching at that point taking so much time off from the game. Trying to make it as an NFL QB will take over his life and he'll have no time to practice baseball.

IMO, he has a better chance of success and earnings potential in MLB, but he'll have to wait longer to see that money come to fruition. That's the trade off, he can get more money now from NFL, but a greater long term earning potential sticking with basbeall.

Unless he legit just likes football more and that's his true passion.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Hot take: He's actually being shortsighted here in terms of a business move for him. Assuming that's his motive.

Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. The 'he can just go play baseball' when he flames out as an NFL QB in his early-mid 20's is a dangerous line of thinking. Who knows if he'll still be able to hit major league caliber pitching at that point taking so much time off from the game. Trying to make it as an NFL QB will take over his life and he'll have no time to practice baseball.

IMO, he has a better chance of success and earnings potential in MLB, but he'll have to wait longer to see that money come to fruition. That's the trade off, he can get more money now from NFL, but a greater long term earning potential sticking with basbeall.

It will ultimately come down to what he likes more. He'll get paid either way.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles
Oct 18, 2011
If Murray is torn he's better off trying football first. Hes going to know within three years if he has it. Can't fault the kid here at all especially in a draft lacking top QB talent at the top

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
It's just you.
Really? I thought this was an exceptionally deep draft... one of the espn analysts was saying that.

Big top ten mostly all defense.

Are you saying it’s a weak class? Just asking, don’t really know myself. Thank you

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Really? I thought this was an exceptionally deep draft... one of the espn analysts was saying that.

Big top ten mostly all defense.

Are you saying it’s a weak class? Just asking, don’t really know myself. Thank you

It's not weak but it's not an all-timer. I think it's light in regards to off-ball linebackers and safeties.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

I read baseball has the lowest percentage of 1st rounders become regular players of any sport, there's a realistic chance he never appears on a roster in the MLB

If he's drafted in the first round he will be guaranteed to be on an NFL team's roster. If he becomes a half decent starter he will make as much money as the near best players in baseball. I think it is more realistic he is a decent starting QB than one of the best players in baseball.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I read baseball has the lowest percentage of 1st rounders become regular players of any sport, there's a realistic chance he never appears on a roster in the MLB

If he's drafted in the first round he will be guaranteed to be on an NFL team's roster. If he becomes a half decent starter he will make as much money as the near best players in baseball. I think it is more realistic he is a decent starting QB than one of the best players in baseball.
Which is why he's trying to negotiate more money and a spot on the 40-man roster. Mlb has cited Ohtani's contract saying rookies can't be immediately signed to a mlb-contract, BUT they can sign a minor league deal (like Murray already has) then negotiate a mlb contract.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Which is why he's trying to negotiate more money and a spot on the 40-man roster. Mlb has cited Ohtani's contract saying rookies can't be immediately signed to a mlb-contract, BUT they can sign a minor league deal (like Murray already has) then negotiate a mlb contract.
Fair enough, I would still say realistically he makes more money in the NFL as long as he doesn't completely bust.

I think it should come down to what he wants to do more, both options are good options. The only thing that goes in baseball's favor imo is health, which is obviously a big factor.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Nfl has a slotting system for rookie contracts. Regardless of position the 5th pick will make a certain amount and the 24th pick will make a set amount.

Where will Murray get picked? Who knows. Rosen at 10 is at $18 million. Pick 20 got $12 million, and Lamar Jackson at 32 got $9.6 million.

Short term football pays more. Murray gets his baseball signing bonus but his mlb salary for the first 3 years will total $2 million give or take when he gets there.

Plus, seeing more mlb teams hold off on long term deals for free agents. So the guaranteed payoff when he hits free agency st say 29 isn’t as high as it would have been back in 2013. Teams are cutting back on those potential dead years.

Which team has a coaching staff that would be a good fit for him?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Fair enough, I would still say realistically he makes more money in the NFL as long as he doesn't completely bust.

I think it should come down to what he wants to do more, both options are good options. The only thing that goes in baseball's favor imo is health, which is obviously a big factor.
He's just maximizing his first deal, and that's a great business move. Which one he signs will show what sport he prefers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad