NFL: 2019 NFL Draft Prospects (Kyler Murray declares for draft)

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Best defense linemens draft in the history of NFL drafts. They'll be talking about it for the next 50 years.

For my Colts thought, give me one of the LSU boys, Greedy Williams to build around in the secondary next to Malik Hooker or Devin White to lead from the Mike please.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Best defense linemens draft in the history of NFL drafts. They'll be talking about it for the next 50 years.

For my Colts thought, give me one of the LSU boys, Greedy Williams to build around in the secondary next to Malik Hooker or Devin White to lead from the Mike please.

The Colts won't invest in a corner that high when they play mostly zone. I doubt they'll look at Devin White either with the emergence of Leonard and even Walker.

100% the Colts will take a DL/OL in the 1st round. Ballard is building from the inside out , as he's stated multiple times.

We desperately need a legit 3-technique or another edge rusher. And luckily for us, there's tons available this year.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
The Colts won't invest in a corner that high when they play mostly zone. I doubt they'll look at Devin White either with the emergence of Leonard and even Walker.

100% the Colts will take a DL/OL in the 1st round. Ballard is building from the inside out , as he's stated multiple times.

We desperately need a legit 3-technique or another edge rusher. And luckily for us, there's tons available this year.
Isn't building inside out exactly what he did when we picked 4 linesmen in the 1st 2 rounds?

We need players at positions of skill. Playing zone doesn't mean we don't need shutdown corners against n.1 WRs. Our top needs are WR, corners and a bell cow running back imo.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Isn't building inside out exactly what he did when we picked 4 linesmen in the 1st 2 rounds?

We need players at positions of skill. Playing zone doesn't mean we don't need shutdown corners against n.1 WRs. Our top needs are WR, corners and a bell cow running back imo.

Corners and a true blue chip edge rusher.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

Yes, it is. But, we're still in need of a RT (Goode, Haeg, Clark won't cut it) as Braden Smith , who's filling in for now , but is the longterm answer at RG , as Nelson is at LG. Kelly and Castonzo should have LT/C covered. Though, AC is 31 now , and has been struggling with injuries/his contract is winding down.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard takes an OT with one of our first 3 picks. In fact, I expect it.

As for the defensive line , Sheard is a stop-gap and Turay is improving weekly at RE . Tyquan Lewis will returning from IR to rotate with Hunt at LE. But the 3-tech still needs to be addressed long term as it's crucial for our scheme.

As it stands , Ridgeway , Stewart , Ward , Woods (and even Autry as a UT) is all we have. It's just a collection of picks from (or for) previous regimes/schemes , stop gaps and waiver claims. In a draft class absolutely loaded with DT talent , I'd be stunned if we don't address it early in the draft.

We still have Quincey Wilson (a 2o17 2nd round pick) , who after a disastrous 1st year of development under Pagano , and adjusting to Eberflus' zone-based scheme , is finally coming around. He looks decent against Buffalo , and by no means has Ballard given up on him. He's still viewed as a guy with a ton of upside. Corners take time to develop , it's important to remain patient.

Kenny Moore II , Desir , Hairston provide decent depth and upside. Considering how bloody awful Geathers has been this season , I wouldn't be surprised to see Ballard address safety before corner.

Could corner be addressed in the 2nd round? Sure. 1st round? No chance. None.

The receiver group needs work, without question. But again , Ballard doesn't prioritize the position as highly as Grigson/Polian , and he'll continue to try and find guys like Cain later in the draft. Do we need WR help? Absolutely , but it's nowhere's near the top of the needs this team has.

Running back will be the same thing. We'll look for guys in the mid rounds. Ballard has already selected Mack (looking pretty good) in the 4th , Hines in the 4th , and Wilkins in the 5th . OL/DL , S , CB and even WR, I would consider higher needs.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Yes, it is. But, we're still in need of a RT (Goode, Haeg, Clark won't cut it) as Braden Smith , who's filling in for now , but is the longterm answer at RG , as Nelson is at LG. Kelly and Castonzo should have LT/C covered. Though, AC is 31 now , and has been struggling with injuries/his contract is winding down.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard takes an OT with one of our first 3 picks. In fact, I expect it.

As for the defensive line , Sheard is a stop-gap and Turay is improving weekly at RE . Tyquan Lewis will returning from IR to rotate with Hunt at LE. But the 3-tech still needs to be addressed long term as it's crucial for our scheme.

As it stands , Ridgeway , Stewart , Ward , Woods (and even Autry as a UT) is all we have. It's just a collection of picks from (or for) previous regimes/schemes , stop gaps and waiver claims. In a draft class absolutely loaded with DT talent , I'd be stunned if we don't address it early in the draft.

We still have Quincey Wilson (a 2o17 2nd round pick) , who after a disastrous 1st year of development under Pagano , and adjusting to Eberflus' zone-based scheme , is finally coming around. He looks decent against Buffalo , and by no means has Ballard given up on him. He's still viewed as a guy with a ton of upside. Corners take time to develop , it's important to remain patient.

Kenny Moore II , Desir , Hairston provide decent depth and upside. Considering how bloody awful Geathers has been this season , I wouldn't be surprised to see Ballard address safety before corner.

Could corner be addressed in the 2nd round? Sure. 1st round? No chance. None.

The receiver group needs work, without question. But again , Ballard doesn't prioritize the position as highly as Grigson/Polian , and he'll continue to try and find guys like Cain later in the draft. Do we need WR help? Absolutely , but it's nowhere's near the top of the needs this team has.

Running back will be the same thing. We'll look for guys in the mid rounds. Ballard has already selected Mack (looking pretty good) in the 4th , Hines in the 4th , and Wilkins in the 5th . OL/DL , S , CB and even WR, I would consider higher needs.
I don't remember the last time I disagreed more with a post.

-Haeg and Smith have done an excellent job at the RT spot. I have no clue what it is you're expecting from whoever has to fill the position..

-I agree that we could use a 3-technique to build around and that the draft class is loaded.

- In the same post where you massively underrate the talent and depth of our O-line you've massively overrated our corner depth. Quincy Wilson hasn't come close to showing that he's the CB of the future. The rest are all very average and very lucky to be playing with 3 LBs that cover well

- If Ballard wastes yet another mid round pick on a back I'll lose my cool. Enough with those gambles, get a top talent inside the first rounds. Love or Harris please.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Also Devin White is overrated as f*** too. Dude can't get off blocks or navigate traffic. Reminds me of Jarrad Davis.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I don't remember the last time I disagreed more with a post.

-Haeg and Smith have done an excellent job at the RT spot.

Are you kidding me? Haeg has not been excellent at all. Look at the numbers man, please I beg you. He's a depth player -tops. He's bang average on his best days.

Smith has been really good in limited action at RT (better than I anticipated truthfully) , but he's the RG of the future. He's just covering that position at the moment because Goode, Haeg , Clark are crap or injured. Glowinski has covered adequately at RG since Slauson's injury , but again , he's a depth piece.

I have no clue what it is you're expecting from whoever has to fill the position..

I'm expecting an upgrade . Just like I expected an upgrade when we selected two guards in the last draft.

Our line long-term is :

AC- Nelson- Kelly- Smith - ______

How you can't see that is beyond me. We've had a revolving door at RT for years. Going all the way back to Gosder Cherilus. It's been dreadful. Smith has done a nice job filling in , but Ballard selected him to be in the interior for a reason.

-I agree that we could use a 3-technique to build around and that the draft class is loaded.

Sweet. Because I'm almost certain that's what will happen.

- In the same post where you massively underrate the talent and depth of our O-line you've massively overrated our corner depth. Quincy Wilson hasn't come close to showing that he's the CB of the future.

No, no , no. I said Clark, Goode and Haeg aren't good and we need a RT. Which is true. For some reason, you thought I said something about Smith , but I didn't. Smith has been really impressive. He's just not our RT if everyone is healthy.

Quincy Wilson's first season was a write off. For whatever reason , Pagano would healthy scratch him even when he looked like the best corner out there. I thought it was character issues , but I dunno.

This season he's learned a new scheme , and he broke his hand week 1 and was wearing a cast until last week. He played solid against Buffalo. Do you disagree?

No , he didn't come into the league like Lattimore , but if you examine the context , it makes sense to not write him off. I didn't say he's "the CB of the future". All I said is that Ballard thinks he has a ton of upside and to not write him off yet (I even stated his poor start - twice). I also said corner could be addressed in the 2nd round. But it sure as hell won't be in the 1st.

Please re-read what I said.

The rest are all very average and very lucky to be playing with 3 LBs that cover well

Yes, the rest aren't world beaters. No question. I would say of the three , Kenny Moore II has the most upside. Hairston looked pretty good last year , but he's struggled to make the same impact in the new scheme.

What 3 linebackers that cover really well? Walker and Leonard , sure. Who's the 3rd? Najee Goode? No. We're playing with a SAM less than 50% of the time. He's barely on the field.

We've been using Geathers, Fairley and Hooker in sub packages more often than Goode has been out there. Now that Geathers is injured (again) , it's Mike Mitchell.

You can disagree with my post all you want , just represent it honestly.

I never said Smith hasn't been good. And I never said our Corners are great, nor that Wilson is the CB of the future. I didn't say any of that.

If Ballard wastes yet another mid round pick on a back I'll lose my cool. Enough with those gambles, get a top talent inside the first rounds. Love or Harris please.

Wastes? Have you seen Mack when he's healthy? The kid is good. Hines is a great weapon as well. Wilkins as a 3rd back is perfectly fine too.

Lose your cool all you want, but those kids are alright. Specifically Mack.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
-We'll agree to disagree on Haeg. If he stays healthy, I have no doubt he'll be the RT of the future, and a good one. He's extremely agile for a tackle. If Smith sticks at RT because he's great there it's also fine by me. We can always sign a RG next off-season.

-As for not going for a corner in round 1, again, I see no problem with using our 1st pick on a solid shutdown corner. I'm sure the Saints, Browns, Bill's, etc don't regret drafting corners high in the draft.

-That 3rd linebacker that's good in coverage helping our corners is Skai Moore.. we saw him cover WRs and TEs on his own.

- You brought Wilson to the discussion after saying that we need a n.1 corner. I just added 1 and 1 together. It's not that I think he doesn't have the talent to be a n.1, it's that he's far too inconsistent to consider him as a bonafied anything at this moment.

- I said waste as in not aiming for that bell cow we need. I want a top 10 RB to relieve pressure off Luck. Someone in the Bell, Johnson, Gurley range. We have the picks, need and cap space to get that guy, whatever means necessary. If Mack becomes that player, I'm not complaining.

I think that Ballard has far too much confidence in his mid range picks in general. Next year we have over 100 million in cap space. Now it's time to invest to round up our team.

@Il Mediano

Last edited:

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
As for not going for a corner in round 1, again, I see no problem with using our 1st pick on a solid shutdown corner. I'm sure the Saints, Browns, Bill's, etc don't regret drafting corners high in the draft.

In a vacuum , there isn't anything wrong with it and those teams aren't us - it's a false equivalency bringing them into the discussion. They have different philosophies and rosters. In Eberflus' scheme , we're going to be in zone - a lot. I know Gene made it sound like the only reason we play zone is because we have bad corners , but that's simply just not the case. We're a Tampa-2 defense.

Here's a fair breakdown : Film Room: Why do the Colts not play more man coverage?

So yes, if we had corners with better man skills , we'd definitely use it more, but no , that doesn't mean we're not still a zone reliant team. Ballard scouted players specifically for the Tampa 2 for 8 years with the Bears when Lovie Smith was the HC and Lovie is a disciple of Dungy's.

We're running Tampa 2. And in Tampa 2 , interior pressure is paramount if you want the scheme to truly work. Elite man corners are not paramount.

So when you consider the scheme , the positional value of a 3-tech over a corner , our current roster devoid of true DT talent, and the upcoming draft class , it just seems clear as day to me that we're taking a DT in the deepest DL class in recent memory. It just adds up.

Having an elite cover corner is obviously ideal , but it's not crucial. Ballard is building from the inside out , and right now we don't have the inside taken care of-- at all. Once we do , you might see a Marlin Jackson/Kelvin Hayden draft. Similar to adding receivers high in the draft once the OL is completed.

That 3rd linebacker that's good in coverage helping our corners is Skai Moore.. we saw him cover WRs and TEs on his own.

Skai Moore? .... Skai Moore? Dude, he's been back and forth between special teams and the practice squad. He's featured in 6% of all available defensive snaps when he's actually dressed.

He's a UDFA signing that has some upside , but he hasn't contributed at all to protecting our secondary. He played a bit against the Bengals , but I mean c'mon man... what is this?

He's also a Mike , not at SAM. So he's Walker's backup in theory. Zaire Frankin and Matthew Adams (Ballard's 7th round picks this year) are playing more than Skai Moore.

You brought Wilson to the discussion after saying that we need a n.1 corner. I just added 1 and 1 together. It's not that I think he doesn't have the talent to be a n.1, it's that he's far too inconsistent to consider him as a bonafied anything at this moment.

You said we needed a number 1 corner. I just said Ballard took Wilson high last year , and we need to see how he progresses. Ballard hasn't invested any high draft capital in a DT. He took Grover Stewart in the 4th round in 2017 , but that hardly compares to taking Wilson high in the 2nd.

All I'm saying in regards to Wilson is to remain patient. We might have something there , or we might not. He's had a rough beginning to his career , but we'll see how he does in the remaining 9 games this year.

What we do know without a shadow of a doubt, is that we don't have a promising 3-tech on the roster. It's stop-gaps and waiver claims. We need to add one of those studs.

- I said waste as in not aiming for that bell cow we need. I want a top 10 RB to relieve pressure off Luck. Someone in the Bell, Johnson, Gurley range. We have the picks, need and cap space to get that guy, whatever means necessary. If Mack becomes that player, I'm not complaining.

Ok , but the OL being good is more important than having a top 10 running back. We don't need a Bell or a Gurley.

Ballard isn't going to draft a RB high when we have so many more important needs , and you can manufacture elite production with a RB by committee. You cannot manufacture elite line play , you can only mask it.

That aside , I think you should give Mack a shot here. He's really talented. Hines and Wilkins aren't too bad either. They also all bring different skill-sets to the table and accentuate each other well. I'm sure this isn't a coincidence.

I think that Ballard has far too much confidence in his mid range picks in general. Next year we have over 100 million in cap space. Now it's time to invest to round up our team.

What does that mean? He has too much confidence in his picks? He's building through the draft , and relying on FA is a fool's errand.

We'll spend more cash , but don't expect a Miami Dolphins-esque spending spree. He's going to remain measured.

Last edited:

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Looks like the Jags are picking top 5-10 in a bad year for QBs. Picking a bust sets your franchise back multiple years so it's terrifying.

@Gene Parmesan - do you like anyone besides Herbert? Grier or Haskins?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Herbert is most likely staying. Haskins might declare and I like him but he isn't ready to start right away. I like Grier too but he will be 24 and is topped out as a passer so mid rounder. There is a lack of bona fide blue chip QB prospects but there are some intriguing players that really need to make the most out of pre-draft events.

Brett Rypien and Jordan Ta'amu will be names to watch.

member 157595

Looks like the Jags are picking top 5-10 in a bad year for QBs. Picking a bust sets your franchise back multiple years so it's terrifying.

@Gene Parmesan - do you like anyone besides Herbert? Grier or Haskins?

I'm not even close to convinced that Grier's game will translate. I agree with Gene that he's a mid-round pick at best right now.

I like Haskins a lot. I'm not sure he's ready but I like his tools.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad