NBA 2019 NBA Finals (Part 3)

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
:rolleyes: I would have known what both GMs in the Finals look like if I was security. I already did before the Finals.
Funny thing is, he's not even the general manager. The actual GM is some 34 year old guy named Bobby Webster. He's been the GM since 2017, although I'm not convinced he actually exist.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There's really no reason for them to go to the Whitehouse, regardless of who is President. I could definitely see them visiting the Whitehouse.

Was the whole WH visit a thing in 1993? Did the Habs visit either leader after they won?

Apparently the Jays went in 92 to visit G HW Bush, but Clinton didnt invite them.

Doubt the Habs went either.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
So the Raps are in a very rare position right now.

Do they visit the White House, or Ottawa, as league champions?

Will Trump even invite them?

Will Trudeau, looking to cash in during an election year?

Canadian team, with no Canadian players.

Wrong! They have a Canadian player! Chris Boucher from Montreal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
why did the toronto players not celebrate hard? they looked like "yeah whatever we won"

If you had watched the game, you would have realized that the last 0.9 seconds of the game took like 10 minutes to actually play out.

So they had plenty of time to get used to the idea.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
If you had watched the game, you would have realized that the last 0.9 seconds of the game took like 10 minutes to actually play out.

So they had plenty of time to get used to the idea.

nothing on the 02 lakers. they acted like they had just won a regular season game

start at 11:00

Reactions: Voight

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I just watched Skip Bayless on yesterdays That a Wrap, and its pretty clear he is the absolute worst person in sports commentary. His tears are wonderful, and I hope he never gets ti celebrate again.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Grape

Jul 22, 2016

LaCarriere

So do we all agree it's completely embarrassing for the owners to celebrate with the trophy first while the players watch and clap politely?

After watching the Stanley Cup finals the day before, the NBA celebration came off as a joke.

The whole thing came off backwards. From Silver giving congrats to the ownrrs/coaches first and giving them the trophy, to the league trophy going out first and then the MVP.

The raps celebrated like they just beat the Knicks. I don't know if it was because the last 10 seconds took an eternity to play out, or they weren't as excited because of all the injuries GS had, but it was a pretty lackluster celebration and trophy presentation.

At least they looked to be enjoying themselves once the bubbly arrived in the locker room.

LaCarriere

Well yeah. They have a stupidly amount of all stars on their team. Even with the few injuries they still had more all stars on their team at the end of the day. lol.

This is what I don't get.

Everyone talks about the GS dynasty, but with a couple injuries they lost in 6. They barely eeked out a couple close wins, and most of their losses weren't even close. Game 2 was close until the raps thought the 3rd quarter didn't matter.

The years GS won championships they were on the other side of the injury front, beating up on teams with key players out.

It will be a long, long time (if ever) before any team in any sport goes to 5 finals straight, but let's not pretend that Golden State didn't have a Golden horseshoe up their @$$ either.

I know the raptors would have been hard up to beat GS with a healthy Durant and Thompson not missing game 3 or the last quarter of game 6, but it's kind of ironic that the legitimacy of the raps championship is coming into question given the last 5 years of the Warriors could be completely different if they were going up against healthy teams in the conference and league finals.

Last edited:

LaCarriere

At least this series further exposed Curry as a fraud. Thompson gets hurt with 4 minutes left in the 3rd and the supposed driver of their offense scores four points the rest of the way, half of which came on an imaginary foul where he tripped over his own feet.

The refs/NBA really wanted to get him a Finals MVP as they gave him 55 FTAs in 6 games, but sometimes the narrative doesn't go as planned.

Lol, fraud.

He can hit pretty much nail any shot he wants at will.

It's just Toronto (or anyone) can completely change their defense when they only have to protect against Curry, and not the trio of Curry, Durant and Thompson.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Lol, fraud.

He can hit pretty much nail any shot he wants at will.

It's just Toronto (or anyone) can completely change their defense when they only have to protect against Curry, and not the trio of Curry, Durant and Thompson.

Except a go ahead shot with <20 seconds left. He’s 0-8 on this in his career.

LaCarriere

Except a go ahead shot with <20 seconds left. He’s 0-8 on this in his career.

And if Thompson is out there for that play one of those two hit a 3 9/10 times on a set play like that.

Toronto can play curry much tighter without Thompson out there.

Teams have to spread out there defense and be much more aware that there are two highly skilled 3 point shooters with Thompson.

That doesn't mean Curry is a fraud, anyone who thinks so is dilusional.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
And if Thompson is out there for that play one of those two hit a 3 9/10 times on a set play like that.

Toronto can play curry much tighter without Thompson out there.

Teams have to spread out there defense and be much more aware that there are two highly skilled 3 point shooters with Thompson.

That doesn't mean Curry is a fraud, anyone who thinks so is dilusional.

Oh he’s definitely not a fraud, but he’s also not a player who can dominate a game in iso like many other top players.

He’s an elite shooter, likely the best in history, but he’s struggled under pressure in his career and needs help on the court to be able to consistently dominate offensively because he struggles to create space when the defense can focus on him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Oh he’s definitely not a fraud, but he’s also not a player who can dominate a game in iso like many other top players.

He’s an elite shooter, likely the best in history, but he’s struggled under pressure in his career and needs help on the court to be able to consistently dominate offensively because he struggles to create space when the defense can focus on him.
What about game 3 of the finals? Did pretty well there. I think it's too premature to label him as not being able to dominate ISO. He's never really had to done it for an extended period of time in his career. We will see what happens this upcoming season, but I expect Harden esque numbers.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This is what I don't get.

Everyone talks about the GS dynasty, but with a couple injuries they lost in 6. They barely eeked out a couple close wins, and most of their losses weren't even close. Game 2 was close until the raps thought the 3rd quarter didn't matter.

The years GS won championships they were on the other side of the injury front, beating up on teams with key players out.

It will be a long, long time (if ever) before any team in any sport goes to 5 finals straight, but let's not pretend that Golden State didn't have a Golden horseshoe up their @$$ either.

I know the raptors would have been hard up to beat GS with a healthy Durant and Thompson not missing game 3 or the last quarter of game 6, but it's kind of ironic that the legitimacy of the raps championship is coming into question given the last 5 years of the Warriors could be completely different if they were going up against healthy teams in the conference and league finals.

You always need some good fortune to win. Look no further than Leonard's game winning shot at the buzzer in game 7 of the ECSF.

Otherwise we might be talking about a potential Philadelphia or Milwaukee championship while saying same old Raptors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->