HF Habs: 2019 Montreal Canadiens Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Poehling needs players that bring a lynch pail to work. I think that Weal-Poehling-Cousins can be a Misery Line that in any given night can be the number one line. Not every night and certainly not above Domi-Gally-plus, but on many nights...

Most of you dont remember Damphousse. He was a tough, high scoring meat and potatoes center. Poehling reminds me of him.

Reactions: Archijerej

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Starting the season with Poehling on the 4th would be dumb. A crying shame even!

This kid needs top 9 playing time.
Stop there. There are two different kinds of 4th lines, but on a team without a dominant first line playing 20 minutes, a fourth line C who can kill penalties and play with talent up front can easily get 12 minutes.

Why would it be dumb or a crying shame for Poehling to start his NHL career like Plekanec?

And of course, Poehling could also play 2LW or 3LW. I actually like Poehling on the LW with KK at C and Suzuki or eventually Caufield on RW.

If Drouin were to be traded, I could see:

Poehling-KK-Caufield
Lehkonen-Domi-Suzuki
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Weal-Armia

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Poehling needs players that bring a lynch pail to work. I think that Weal-Poehling-Cousins can be a Misery Line that in any given night can be the number one line.
That's what I've been expecting since before the camp started. Poehling is so intelligent and adaptable that he can fill any role without detriment to his long term development. Plus a guy like Weal is actually skilled and can combine with Poehling on the attack. I still think a #4C spot is his to lose, but I've got to say, Nate Thompson is providing some good competition so far in the preseason.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Honestly... the biggest problem with all those players were their attitudes (exception being McCarron who just can't keep up). I know that word is like a meme for some of you, but it's true.

Insane how your whole point was that we don't know what's behind closed doors as far as management is concernend, but somehow YOU know that the kids biggest problems were their attitude.....How do you know what's happening behind closed doors but we don't?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I've already said so, obviously it has some impact. But most of it does fall on the attitude of the player. Pretty much any GM in any sport says the exact same thing. When we miss on a prospect, it's because we missed on the person.

It's just simply not true. Yes, you will have examples like that. But there's also a thing called ceiling. And that's what mostly stops a player from being succesful in juniors to nothing in the pros. 'Cause what he gave you as a junior....is actually the end result and the finished product. They just can't elevate their game to something more. Tough to predict for a scout sometimes. Other times, they could have based on style of play. But that's mostly why a top kid won't play in the NHL. Yes, there are some times when it's totally their fault 'cause while they are extremely talented, and they were able to solely use that talent to succeed in lower levels, now that they have to add work to their calendar to be better, they are not used to, and they actually don't want to. Yep, it happened. But it's clearly not the majority of the ones who don't make it.

Do you know why the GM if any sport will say the exact same thing? To protect themselves. Just like you will always hear from coaches and GM's how your players don't work hard enough....but will rarely if not never hear how they are not talented enough....'Cause saying so would tell everyone how they did not build a capable lineup.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
For sure I do. Does playing with Bergeron or Kopitar make Gallagher as good of a player as Kucherov? Obviously not. Does it make him a comparable player to Eichel or Matthews when all things are considered? Easily. The other names are obviously a bit further but hed be in the company of those guys without a doubt.

Hes always near the top of the league in most metrics, the only thing he would be lagging behind would be PP numbers, as Im not sure he has the skillset to he an elite PP player.

If only Gallagher had Matthews as his center, he'd be comparable to Matthews.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didn't scroll far enough to see your translation, I put the title in google translate and this is what came up.
Claude Julien sees Jordan Weal in his soup: "I would be very disappointed if he did not have a place on our team."

Was going to say he must REALLY like him if he wants him in his soup too.

Now someone really got to make a Weal Soup picture…..

4CWkHji.jpg

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I'm still so furious at Bergevin for doing absolutely nothing last summer..

But man has this camp been fun! I love the competition this year. Can you imagine what it'll look like next year when Romanov, Caufield, Ikonen and Ylonen join the party?? We will be stacked in 2 years.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City

But man has this camp been fun! I love the competition this year. Can you imagine what it'll look like next year when Romanov, Caufield, Ikonen and Ylonen join the party?? We will be stacked in 2 years.
He tried to sign Gardiner, offersheet Aho, probably many offers we don't know about. It's not like he didn't try and did absolutely nothing.

What would you have prefered?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes indeed!

He will make a fine AHLer
Hard to tell. Every case is different. Hockey smarts is his main skill. Bouchard has done a good job with him for sure. Every he improves another season Evans may make a great #4 center.

Fleury improved alot also since last camp. I never seen them play in Laval.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
He tried to sign Gardiner, offersheet Aho, probably many offers we don't know about. It's not like he didn't try and did absolutely nothing.

What would you have prefered?

I'll go out on a limb here and guess manage one thing instead of attempting many? I mean you're not being paid big money to try, anyone can try. They could leak out that he tried for Matthews and Laine and Malkin, would that make his summer even better?

The reality is he did absolutely nothing for the team in the end. The amount that he tried means nothing at all.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I'll go out on a limb here and guess manage one thing instead of attempting many? I mean you're not being paid big money to try, anyone can try. They could leak out that he tried for Matthews and Laine and Malkin, would that make his summer even better?

The reality is he did absolutely nothing for the team in the end. The amount that he tried means nothing at all.
You can't grab a player by the arm to make him sign here. It's well known Montréal is not a number one destination for many players.
Which quality player would've signed here these last 3 years? I mean.. I'm not really a Bergevin fan either but the reality is here.
Though, the future is brighter now with all them talented kids, it might be a different story next summer depending on the season they have.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario

Nice contradiction......maybe thats why he didnt do anything just yet.....if Suzuki and Poeling can make this team then we got some major trading chips for help needed elswheres.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You can't grab a player by the arm to make him sign here. It's well known Montréal is not a number one destination for many players.
Which quality player would've signed here these last 3 years? I mean.. I'm not really a Bergevin fan either but the reality is here.
Though, the future is brighter now with all them talented kids, it might be a different story next summer depending on the season they have.

Radulov. Just sayin'.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
This is how I view the depth chart now

FWDS
1. Domi
2. Gallagher
3. Tatar
4. Danault
5. Kotkaniemi
6. Drouin
7. Lehkonen
8. Weal
9. Byron
10. Cousins
11. Armia
12. Poehling
13. Thompson
14. Peca
15. Hudon
16. Suzuki
17. Evans
18. Belzile
19. Varone
20. Barber
21. Weise
22. McCarron

Would I keep Poehling as the 4th line center to start? Yes, with Thompson as 13th forward. Waive Hudon and Peca, tell Suzuki and Belzile they might be called up during the season. Leave the door open for Poehling to go back down to Laval for a couple of weeks to work with Bouchard and play 1st line, 1st PP.

Consider trading one of Armia or Byron to make Suzuki and Poehling full time, perhaps after Christmas

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Poehling needs players that bring a lynch pail to work. I think that Weal-Poehling-Cousins can be a Misery Line that in any given night can be the number one line. Not every night and certainly not above Domi-Gally-plus, but on many nights...

Most of you dont remember Damphousse. He was a tough, high scoring meat and potatoes center. Poehling reminds me of him.

You sure you’re not comparing the two because they wear the same number? Also Damphousse’s backhand was pretty sick

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Stop there. There are two different kinds of 4th lines, but on a team without a dominant first line playing 20 minutes, a fourth line C who can kill penalties and play with talent up front can easily get 12 minutes.

Why would it be dumb or a crying shame for Poehling to start his NHL career like Plekanec?

And of course, Poehling could also play 2LW or 3LW. I actually like Poehling on the LW with KK at C and Suzuki or eventually Caufield on RW.

If Drouin were to be traded, I could see:

Poehling-KK-Caufield
Lehkonen-Domi-Suzuki
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Weal-Armia

Please stop putting our best centre prospects at wing. Poehling and Suzuki belong in the centre of the ice with guys like weal and Gallagher and domi who also can play wing/centre.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Insane how your whole point was that we don't know what's behind closed doors as far as management is concernend, but somehow YOU know that the kids biggest problems were their attitude.....How do you know what's happening behind closed doors but we don't?
Sometimes a poor attitude is evident on the ice. Drouin, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu... and then you hear the stories off the ice... (outside of Drouin).

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I wasnt on board with Kotkaniemi making the team. Hed be further ahead today if he stayed in Liiga. Now he has no confidence. He doesnt play to his strengths.
I don’t think he’s lost his confidence, the one thing KK has that those other guys don’t is a great attitude. He just needs to maintain that attitude as he continues to develop physically. But I agree, it’s looking like he would have been better off developing slowly (last year Liiga, this year AHL).

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
This is how I view the depth chart now

FWDS
1. Domi
2. Gallagher
3. Tatar
4. Danault
5. Kotkaniemi
6. Drouin
7. Lehkonen
8. Weal
9. Byron
10. Cousins
11. Armia
12. Poehling
13. Thompson
14. Peca
15. Hudon
16. Suzuki
17. Evans
18. Belzile
19. Varone
20. Barber
21. Weise
22. McCarron

Would I keep Poehling as the 4th line center to start? Yes, with Thompson as 13th forward. Waive Hudon and Peca, tell Suzuki and Belzile they might be called up during the season. Leave the door open for Poehling to go back down to Laval for a couple of weeks to work with Bouchard and play 1st line, 1st PP.

Consider trading one of Armia or Byron to make Suzuki and Poehling full time, perhaps after Christmas

Eww. Cousins, Peca and Hudon are lower than Suzuki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->