HF Habs: 2019 Montreal Canadiens Training Camp Part 3: The Final Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
no coach would use a 50 pts player as a 3rd line C...

nowadays, 50 pts per season nets you a 6M contract at least, who in their right mind would pay 6M+ for someone to play on the 3rd line ?? I mean BC, you sure you arent Marc Bergevin ??

So if you were GM, would you use Danault on the second line to justify his salary??

Even if Kotkaniemi were to have a breakthrough and be on the way to 60 points at $925,000?

By the way, Pittsburgh used Jordan Staal as 3C and he got 49 points twice and 50 points once for them. So yeah, if the Habs had two better C, Danault could be a #3.

I made a mock up of the Habs CONTENDER lineup for 2021-22, with salaries. Danault fits as 3C, but ideally we would trade Drouin for help on D and maybe draft one more player that could hit the roster for 2122.

Attachments

• Cap 2019-2020 Montreal Canadiens.xlsx
    32 KB · Views: 3

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So if you were GM, would you use Danault on the second line to justify his salary??

Even if Kotkaniemi were to have a breakthrough and be on the way to 60 points at $925,000?

By the way, Pittsburgh used Jordan Staal as 3C and he got 49 points twice and 50 points once for them. So yeah, if the Habs had two better C, Danault could be a #3.

I made a mock up of the Habs CONTENDER lineup for 2021-22, with salaries. Danault fits as 3C, but ideally we would trade Drouin for help on D and maybe draft one more player that could hit the roster for 2122.
if KK "breaktrough", I have Domi on his wing, seriously, how many points can a guy gets playing with Armia, Weal and co with barely any PP time...

yup and they traded Staal because of his SALARY...

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Lirl this team is literally the same as today +Caufield

Also, you realize they traded Staal because they needed cap room?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Imagine coming off a season where you put up 34pts in 79 games, averaging close to 14 mins per game as the youngest player in the NHL.

And without even playing a single second of your sophomore campaign..

Being told you don't belong with the team yet.

This is why we can't have nice things lol
I'm not telling let's spoil his confidence and his career by sending him down to ahl and never coming back with the big team. He can play 4 to 10 games in Laval and come back when he's ready. You make a big thing out of nothing. You turn this into a psycho-drama. You will forget in two months.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not telling let's spoil his confidence and his career by sending him down to ahl and never coming back with the big team. He can play 4 to 10 games in Laval and come back when he's ready. You make a big thing out of nothing. You turn this into a psycho-drama. You will forget in two months.
You're suggesting sending him down to Laval with exactly 0 minutes played this season.

And I'M the one making a big thing?

Can you at least wait until the 1st intermission on Thursday??

Can he at least be given the opportunity to earn his demotion?

I mean you want him to play 4-10 games in Laval "until he's ready"...

But you won't give him a single nanosecond to build on last year where he proved, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that he was/is ready.

It's just odd logic if you ask me...and only with the Montreal Canadiens would fans/media even be asking this question at this stage.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I had a feeling Suzuki would make the team out of camp but Cale is a complete surprise for me. Congrats to both. They had fantastic years and came to camp on a mission.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We'll have to see how Fleury does and what the plan is for Juulsen when he is back. If Juulsen is skating that hopefully means things are getting better and we know nothing changed from the 2nd opinion he got. They would likely send Juulsen to Laval on a conditioning stint or if he's out longer they could just send him there since he doesn't need waivers. But if he's back in say 2-3 weeks then they will need to see how it goes for Fleury as he and Juulsen need to play so as long as neither are in the press box which means one of them has to be in Laval. I'm ok with either as Juulsen needs to work on his offense and Fleury his defense, so it's not like more time in the AHL will hurt either.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia

Tbh i would trade Danault long before his salary ever became an issue

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
if KK "breaktrough", I have Domi on his wing, seriously, how many points can a guy gets playing with Armia, Weal and co with barely any PP time...

Sorry, but I fail to see how playing Domi at LW and Poehling at C makes any difference to the salary cap as the reverse.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
6 million on what will more than likely be the 4th line behind domi kk and poehling is an egregious waste of cap space

Not if Poehling is 1LW, making space for Caufield, getting to the crease and winning board battles.

Poehling-Kotkaniemi-Caufield
Lehkonen-Domi-Suzuki
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Evans-Armia

with Drouin moved for help on D or with Lehkonen for an upgrade at LW.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Oh yeah... ?

10.5/85
8.7/65

Tell me whats up with that ?

I showed everyone the spreadsheet. The team can afford Danault as an elite 3C. I really, really want Poehling to be our Matthew Tkachuk and become the 1LW.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I guess so but 6m is still really expensive for 3rd line and i think its a waste of poehlings talent to put him on the wing
Poehling is not as creative as Kotkaniemi or Domi, so he will end up just being another Danault, a two-way north-South player; I'd rather he be on one of the first two lines, unless we somehow land another 1LW with size and speed.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Poehling is not as creative as Kotkaniemi or Domi, so he will end up just being another Danault, a two-way north-South player; I'd rather he be on one of the first two lines, unless we somehow land another 1LW with size and speed.
We shall see i think he has more creativity than you think though

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I showed everyone the spreadsheet. The team can afford Danault as an elite 3C. I really, really want Poehling to be our Matthew Tkachuk and become the 1LW.

I answered to you. You underpay players, you don't make any acquisition to actually make the team better and you rely on ELC to fit under the cap. Trade Petry, trade Danault, replace them with Brook/Fleury/Juulsen and Poehling.

Invest the 13 millions in elite ufas.

Profit.

Wrong. Poehling is much smarter in his puck management than the Dunno.

Reactions: Defangles

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I answered to you. You underpay players, you don't make any acquisition to actually make the team better and you rely on ELC to fit under the cap. Trade Petry, trade Danault, replace them with Brook/Fleury/Juulsen and Poehling.

Invest the 13 millions in elite ufas.

Profit.

Perfect, but if a 50 point player gets $6M, then you might as well keep Danault because he gives you good defence on top of the points.

I'd rather move Drouin for futures and gain the same money.

Also, I don't really want Poehling on the 3rd line, but rather at 1LW or 2LW creating space for either Caufield or Suzuki, adding speed to KK's line or size to Domi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->