HF Habs: 2019 Montreal Canadiens Training Camp Part 3: The Final Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s really close to being final with the regular season starting on Oct. 3rd.

Let’s see what surprises may yet lurk.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

Let’s see...
1. Bergevin getting fired?
2. Cousins playing on first line? (Actually that won’t be a surprise)
3. Clod giving KK NHL caliber wingers?
4. Drouin getting traded for a decent left D

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

3 rookies cracking the lineup and contributing would be awesome! Time to make room. I think the 85-86 Habs had 8 rookies and won the cup that year! Play the kids

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Fleury deserves to stay more than Poehling, but I would rather they keep poehling

Folin should be able to do a decent job on the bottom pairing, whereas I feel like Thompson will kill the offense on the 4th line playing with Byron and Armia. He's pretty much a 15 point player,
We could have a 4th line that produces a decent amount of points with Byron - Poehling - Armia

Reactions: Archijerej

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I imagine MOnday is when the starting roster will be revealed to give them a "pressure free" practice on Tue.

Why there is a fear of losing either Reilly or Folin on waivers is beyond me. Who... gives... a... ???

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
3 rookies cracking the lineup and contributing would be awesome! Time to make room. I think the 85-86 Habs had 8 rookies and won the cup that year! Play the kids
85-86 Habs didn't have Clod as their head coach.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
85-86 Habs didn't have Clod as their head coach.
Apparently Jean Perron was the coach... I only saw him on that TQS hockey talk show when they were all yelling at each other (can't remember the name now) and he did not come across as a hockey genius. What gives? Was he really a good coach? Or was the rest of the league that bad?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Apparently Jean Perron was the coach... I only saw him on that TQS hockey talk show when they were all yelling at each other (can't remember the name now) and he did not come across as a hockey genius. What gives? Was he really a good coach? Or was the rest of the league that bad?
He was awful.............as players, Gainey and Robinson took control.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
giphy.gif

I still would put Poehling in the AHL.....don't want him playing on the 4th line.
He's better than Thompson, but he will better be served in the AHL, at least for a short stint.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I imagine MOnday is when the starting roster will be revealed to give them a "pressure free" practice on Tue.

Why there is a fear of losing either Reilly or Folin on waivers is beyond me. Who... gives... a... ???

With Leskinen Brook and hopefully Juulsen all available in case of injury. We should be exposing them to waivers. I wanted to slap Francois Gagnon for inferring that Fleury would be sent down because of contracts. To me that is a problem plain and simple.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Suzuki is a lock. Fleury I'm about 80% sure he stays.

Poehling I just don't see him staying up. I don't think he had a bad camp at all despite injuries but him staying means he either beats out KK or he plays 4th line. That would be a mistake. Had they tried him on wing and he performed well then I think he'd be a lock.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We'll find out today if all three of Poehling, Suzuki, and Fleury make the opening night roster.

Teams need to be cap and roster compliant by 5PM ET tomorrow night. So if someone is to be placed on waivers, it'll have to be today at noon so they clear or get claimed by noon tomorrow.

Unless I'm mistaken and teams actually have until tomorrow noon to place players on waivers.

Reactions: DangerDave

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Poehling I just don't see him staying up. I don't think he had a bad camp at all despite injuries but him staying means he either beats out KK or he plays 4th line. That would be a mistake. Had they tried him on wing and he performed well then I think he'd be a lock.

I think it comes down to one of Poehling or Fleury or Folin being sent down.

I would choose Folin.

Reilly is too young and talented to put on waivers.

Folin is replaceable if anyone picks him up on waivers.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wouldn't be comfortable with Leskinen or Brook playing regular minutes and Juulsen's health status is a concern.

Leskinen showed me he can play 4th line minutes in a pinch and was more effective than Reilly or Folin.
Brook was pretty damn decent for his first camp and has more tools than all of them put together. Finally If Juulsen is able put time in in the AHL read play. He is certainly able to be called up.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think it comes down to one of Poehling or Fleury or Folin being sent down.

I would choose Folin.

Reilly is too young and talented to put on waivers.

Folin is replaceable if anyone picks him up on waivers.

I agree but Reilly isn't going to improve in the press box and I'm not sure what will click in his case to finally make him be the player we think he can be? Certainly not dead time.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Fleury deserves to stay more than Poehling, but I would rather they keep poehling

Folin should be able to do a decent job on the bottom pairing, whereas I feel like Thompson will kill the offense on the 4th line playing with Byron and Armia. He's pretty much a 15 point player,
We could have a 4th line that produces a decent amount of points with Byron - Poehling - Armia
Perhaps but I would rather have Poehling in a top-9 or even top-6 winger role with either Domi or KK as his C, and rotate Cousins and Thompson on the 4th line.

I would assign Folin to Laval. We are less likely to lose him than Reilly.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I agree but Reilly isn't going to improve in the press box and I'm not sure what will click in his case to finally make him be the player we think he can be? Certainly not dead time.
There will be injuries or fatigue and Reilly will get his chance.

His ceiling is higher than Folin's.

Or trade Reilly for an asset, which I think we can get, more so than trading Folin.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I agree that Suzuki is a lock.

As for Fleury, the decision comes to if they decide to carry 14 forwards or 8 defensemen. If they go with 8D, then Fleury made the opening night roster. If they go with 7D, then I can see them send Fleury to Laval to start the year. He outplayed both Reilly and Folin, but by sending Fleury to Laval, they avoid risking losing a defenseman on waivers for nothing. By cutting Fleury, they keep their depth.

As for Poehling, same as Fleury. If they go with 14F, Poehling made it. If they go with 8D, meaning 13F, I can see them send Poehling down. Same reason as with Fleury, sending Poehling down helps them keep their depth. They don't risk losing someone on waivers. In Poehling's case, it is also about his health. Although he's cleared, sending him to Laval will help him recover and regain his timing before any possible call-up.

It sucks, but while in an ideal world, it's about meritocracy, the reality is that contracts and waiver eligibility is a factor in determining the cuts.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree that Suzuki is a lock.

As for Fleury, the decision comes to if they decide to carry 14 forwards or 8 defensemen. If they go with 8D, then Fleury made the opening night roster. If they go with 7D, then I can see them send Fleury to Laval to start the year. He outplayed both Reilly and Folin, but by sending Fleury to Laval, they avoid risking losing a defenseman on waivers for nothing. By cutting Fleury, they keep their depth.

As for Poehling, same as Fleury. If they go with 14F, Poehling made it. If they go with 8D, meaning 13F, I can see them send Poehling down. Same reason as with Fleury, sending Poehling down helps them keep their depth. They don't risk losing someone on waivers. In Poehling's case, it is also about his health. Although he's cleared, sending him to Laval will help him recover and regain his timing before any possible call-up.

It sucks, but while in an ideal world, it's about meritocracy, the reality is that contracts and waiver eligibility is a factor in determining the cuts.
I'm fairly sure Fleury made the team...the question IMO is whether to keep Poehling and expose one of Reilly or Folin to waivers (a decision they would have already made IMO along with Hudon/Lindgren).

The fact they didn't put Reilly and Folin on waivers tells me they both made the team and the Habs are going with 8D and 13F (with Cousins being the extra forward).

Unless of course Bergevin is working on a last minute minor trade to move either Reilly or Folin.

Which means that we should hear about Ryan Poehling being assigned to Laval at some point today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad