HF Habs: 2019 Montreal Canadiens Training Camp Part 2: Cuts are coming edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How much jostling and posturing left before we finalize? I'm assuming there is a league wide drop dead date looming.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I agree with this. If there was any impact from Bouchard on Mete, it must have been mostly psychological.

Agreed, Mete just needed to play some important minutes and regain his confidence. Bouchard seems to have a good grasp on what is expected from him in Laval. It is important to have a healthy environment for players who are struggling with their confidence.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not a big proponent of reading too much into preseason play...

But while everyone in the media is crapping on Drouin and Kotkaniemi's training camp.

Max Domi has been atrocious...yet not a peep about him.

Either way...i'm most thankful for no major injuries at camp (knock on wood), but enough with the pretend season, time for some real hockey.

I expect they'll send down Poehling...which is unfortunate because to me, he seems more useful then Nick Cousins...

And on D...The Habs should feel comfortable with exposing Folin to waivers.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It gives me a glimmer of hope when 3 young players from the 2017 draft are already NHL ready and ready to contribute. We also have Josh Brook from that same draft.

As far as Kotkaniemi is concerned- its very simple, he is a future top 6 Center and would benefit from playing top 6 minutes in Laval.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm not a big proponent of reading too much into preseason play...

But while everyone in the media is crapping on Drouin and Kotkaniemi's training camp.

Either way...i'm most thankful for no major injuries at camp (knock on wood), but enough with the pretend season, time for some real hockey.

I expect they'll send down Poehling...which is unfortunate because to me, he seems more useful then Nick Cousins...

And on D...The Habs should feel comfortable with exposing Folin to waivers.

Domi has been extremely good last year….despite missing camp.
So i guess this earned him a pass for this preseason.
He's not been spectacular but he's not been atrocious either in my book.

As for KK, he's still the youngest player on the team….so i still would give him a pass.

It would be comforting to know that we got Poehling on offence and Fleury on defense in the minors in case of injuries.

Reactions: Redux91 and 417

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm as bullish about Bouchard as anyone in here but am very skeptical about how much he could have done for Mete when Mete spent all but 7 games in Laval. I'm definitely buying how Bouchard was instrumental in Fleury's development, given how Fleury played 60 games under Bouchard.

But 7 games for Mete? Bouchard is no miracle worker. No one can turn your season around in 7 games, it doesn't look credible to me. Could have just been a wake up call for Mete, a change of scenery that got him to learn very quickly that he'd have to be at his very best at all times or risk spending time in the AHL, or whatever other trigger that we haven't made privy to. I will respectfully disagree though that Bouchard in only 7 games, can produce this type of highly impactful long term turnaround reform.

Mete went down to work on one aspect of his game: closing on people. He tried to contain which you can't do in NHL because quality NHLers can do a lot with little space.

You need to close and be on top of them. Mete himself gave an interview after being recalled and talked about what he and Bouchard worked on.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
But while everyone in the media is crapping on Drouin and Kotkaniemi's training camp..

At this stage it's all pretty much noise. Domi missed the preseason last year and yet he came out of the gate storming. I believe Kotkaniemi is starting to find his game. Drouin is currently answering for the sins of the past. If he was a 70-point player, no one would care about his preseason. For all we know, he could be our best player when the season starts. If the situation doesn't improve until 5-10 game mark, then it's a reason for serious concern.

The injury was unfortunate. I believe they had him penciled as a #4 center. The possibility of having a fourth line that's able to win it's matchups on any given night must be enticing to them. Thompson is a decent insurance to have, but everyone knows he ain't a player that's going to invent the gunpowder. Considering that in order to make the playoffs we have to seek small advantages wherever we can, I won't be surprised if they decide to keep Poehling with the big club. And if he's sent down, it won't be for long.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Mete went down to work on one aspect of his game: closing on people. He tried to contain which you can't do in NHL because quality NHLers can do a lot with little space.

You need to close and be on top of them. Mete himself gave an interview after being recalled and talked about what he and Bouchard worked on.

I forgot which game specifically but I do remember a play just before getting sent down. Opposing player picked up the puck on the defensive side of the neutral zone and started towards our zone. Mete started racing back and by the time he pivoted, he was a good 15’ inside our zone and the other player just hit our blue line.

I don’t remember if they scored but I recall being quite shocked how little gap control there was there.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Didn't watch the game but judging by the comments, it's become clear that Suzuki is a lock.

What about Poehling and Fleury? How did they look?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Didn't watch the game but judging by the comments, it's become clear that Suzuki is a lock.

Honestly to me Fleury has been the most impressive all camp. He has been really calm, rarely making mistakes.

I think all 3 of those guys will end the year with the team, but not sure how they will manage this now. I could see them going after a LD on waivers as Reilly has not been great.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

To me right now the only locks are Suzuki and Fleury.

I was honestly surprised by how good Fleury looks out there, he just made smart play after smart play and I was a bit surprised at his mobility, much better skater than I recalled. They’d be crazy not to keep this guy on the team.

Reactions: DangerDave

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Honestly to me Fleury has been the most impressive all camp. He has been really calm, rarely making mistakes.

I think all 3 of those guys will end the year with the team, but not sure how they will manage this now. I could see them going after a LD on waivers as Reilly has not been great.
Reilly was never really that great to begin with. When Bozovin decided to let go Beaulieu, Markov and Emelin to replace them by Schlemko, Alzner and Morrow, you realized he was a clueless GM. Reilly was obtained for a pick because those new guys were awful. Likely, he will be just depth this year. Management must be delighted that Brook and Fleury have shown great things. If they gave a chance to Mete, they should definitely keep Fleury. No need to go after an LD on waivers.

Mete Weber
Chiarot Petry
Kulak Fleury
Reilly Folin

This looks like an improved defense actually.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Fleury and Suzuki are locks.
Poehling has a shot if they keep 14 forwards, but I think he’ll get sent down.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Reilly was never really that great to begin with. When Bozovin decided to let go Beaulieu, Markov and Emelin to replace them by Schlemko, Alzner and Morrow, you realized he was a clueless GM. Reilly was obtained for a pick because those new guys were awful. Likely, he will be just depth this year. Management must be delighted that Brook and Fleury have shown great things. If they gave a chance to Mete, they should definitely keep Fleury. No need to go after an LD on waivers.

Mete Weber
Chiarot Petry
Kulak Fleury
Reilly Folin

This looks like an improved defense actually.

Agreed it is improved, but if MB can find another player like Kulak that would be great.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm as bullish about Bouchard as anyone in here but am very skeptical about how much he could have done for Mete when Mete spent all but 7 games in Laval. I'm definitely buying how Bouchard was instrumental in Fleury's development, given how Fleury played 60 games under Bouchard.

But 7 games for Mete? Bouchard is no miracle worker. No one can turn your season around in 7 games, it doesn't look credible to me. Could have just been a wake up call for Mete, a change of scenery that got him to learn very quickly that he'd have to be at his very best at all times or risk spending time in the AHL, or whatever other trigger that we haven't made privy to. I will respectfully disagree though that Bouchard in only 7 games, can produce this type of highly impactful long term turnaround reform.
You say 7 seven games. I doubt very much Bouchard said a lot to him in those seven games. It's the practices that count. Mete was there almost three weeks. A little different than 7 games. Three weeks worth of practice makes a difference especially when the player is not a disaster.

One thing I noticed and many commentators pointed it out was that Mete was using his stick more often and more effectively. I think it was Ferraro or some other TSN personality who said Mete was sent down to perfect his stick work.

So it's not like Bouchard took a player who was a total failure. He had three weeks to work on Mete's stick skills, seeing as he is a tiny defenceman and couldn't use his body.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I would agree with most. Keep Suzuki and Fleury up. Send Poehling down for beginning of season. I would keep Reilly only because he is the only decent LD left and I keep Juulsen over Folin.
That means waiving Lindgren, Folin and Hudon if MB can't find a taker before tomorrow

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Poehling had a couple nice rushes but looked rusty and took a couple of bad tripping penalties in the o-zone. Fleury got beat by Tkachuk and took a penalty, but otherwise was solid. Both guys will be regulars very soon if not opening day.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Fleury looked like he's ready for the big show but the numbers are getting in the way. He may go down until they trade Reilly or Folin.

Poehling looked good and if they decide KK needs time in the AHL, he stays with the team. Otherwise, I think they'll send him down for a few weeks.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The problem with sending Kotkaniemi down is that hes going to take ice-time away from Evans and Poehling... Which isnt optimal. Maybe Poehling can actually play 15-16 minutes on the third line as a C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad