HF Habs: 2019 Montreal Canadiens Development Camp (June 26-28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't remember the rules for development camp. I think after a certain amount of times you attend it, you are no longer considered a "prospect" or something like that.

I could be mistaken so don't take my word for it exactly. We'll see when the Habs release the roster.

As for the 2019 class, it may have been initially a weird one, but after a few days to digest the picks and gather some more info, I'm liking it. It is intriguing.

Yeah not as initially exciting as the last 2 but the Struble and Pitlick highlights are impressive. There's real upside there. Norlinder did well against men. The Russian at the very least has skill. Fairbrother has a nice slapper and could be a Fleury. And holy eff we have Cole freaking Caufield. Super pumped.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It seems like some are genuinely surprised and elated by the fact that a lot of our picks are actual NHL prospects with possible NHL futures at the moment. Like...okay, and?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It seems like some are genuinely surprised and elated by the fact that a lot of our picks are actual NHL prospects with possible NHL futures at the moment. Like...okay, and?

It looks like a real emphasis was put on skating in this draft as every player is a plus skater other than RHP, but that was just a last second bone thrown to the local media.

I have never seen this much depth and at all positions, our prospect pool is extremely impressive. Hopefully everybody is aware that these prospects are also currency and some might be used as such.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It looks like a real emphasis was put on skating in this draft as every player is a plus skater other than RHP, but that was just a last second bone thrown to the local media.

I have never seen this much depth and at all positions, our prospect pool is extremely impressive. Hopefully everybody is aware that these prospects are also currency and some might be used as such.

Some will definitely have to be used as such, and this extends to roster players IMO. The depth of our prospect pool is actually a very strong argument in favour of ''drafting for position.'' When you're always addressing organizational weaknesses, those weaknesses tend to get addressed, instead of festering for decades.

However, I'm not convinced that we ''drafted for position'' correctly in this draft. Caufield was the right pick, IMO, and Struble, Norlinder, Fairbrother are all good NHL prospects at a position of need. I don't think they were the best players at their position available though. That's what I think the discussion should be about, not whether these are good players or not.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Some will definitely have to be used as such, and this extends to roster players IMO. The depth of our prospect pool is actually a very strong argument in favour of ''drafting for position.'' When you're always addressing organizational weaknesses, those weaknesses tend to get addressed, instead of festering for decades.

However, I'm not convinced that we ''drafted for position'' correctly in this draft. Caufield was the right pick, IMO, and Struble, Norlinder, Fairbrother are all good NHL prospects at a position of need. I don't think they were the best players at their position available though. That's what I think the discussion should be about, not whether these are good players or not.

I guess time will tell whether we chose the right players. Brook, Subban and Romanov were not popular picks at the time either so we will have to wait and see.

I really like most of the picks, even if I was praying for Kolyachonok or Grewe at 50 before we traded the pick. I was not aware of Norlinder just like I wasn't aware of Romanov so I have to give the benefit of the doubt to Timmins for the time being.

I came into the draft wanting Caufield/Newhook/Krebs to fall to us and was hoping for, Kolyachonok , Grewe and Struble. As we crept towards 50 I was jacked hoping that at least one of my remaining two would be there to go 3 for 3 and hope for the other to make it to 77.......twas not to be but I like what I see as well.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I guess time will tell whether we chose the right players. Brook, Subban and Romanov were not popular picks at the time either so we will have to wait and see.

I really like most of the picks, even if I was praying for Kolyachonok or Grewe at 50 before we traded the pick. I was not aware of Norlinder just like I wasn't aware of Romanov so I have to give the benefit of the doubt to Timmins for the time being.

I came into the draft wanting Caufield/Newhook/Krebs to fall to us and was hoping for, Kolyachonok , Grewe and Struble. As we crept towards 50 I was jacked hoping that at least one of my remaining two would be there to go 3 for 3 and hope for the other to make it to 77.......twas not to be but I like what I see as well.

Indeed time will tell, the most we can do is give our 0.02 now.

Struble wasn't one of ''my guys'' so I hope those who are excited about him are on the money. You can see that he's a talented player but for one, I only got to see the one game from him, and second it was a USHS-Prep game, which I have a tough time evaluating correctly. Jay O'Brien looked amazing in a similar sample last year, for example.

Kolyachonok is one of a few LHD who I think will end up being better than the ones we drafted. I like Norlinder as a player, but I really like Zac Jones and Vladislav Kolyachonok to name a couple. Jones was even available after we traded down, so I don't view LeGuerrier, who is a solid player in his own right, as a payoff.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Indeed time will tell, the most we can do is give our 0.02 now.

Struble wasn't one of ''my guys'' so I hope those who are excited about him are on the money. You can see that he's a talented player but for one, I only got to see the one game from him, and second it was a USHS-Prep game, which I have a tough time evaluating correctly. Jay O'Brien looked amazing in a similar sample last year, for example.

Kolyachonok is one of a few LHD who I think will end up being better than the ones we drafted. I like Norlinder as a player, but I really like Zac Jones and Vladislav Kolyachonok to name a couple. Jones was even available after we traded down, so I don't view LeGuerrier, who is a solid player in his own right, as a payoff.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

It is true that the H.S. players are tougher to read and O'Brien has really struggled. I could very well be wrong on Struble as well but he is such a ridiculous athlete and a competitor that the upside really intrigued me. He is also so young and so much stronger than maybe the entire draft class that it is easy to see this being a true home run. I do understand your hesitation as I was hoping he would fall to us in the 3rd round.

Jones is intriguing as well as he clearly has some skill. I just have some reservations as I don't know how much of his offence came from playing with Attard. He was definitely on my radar as was Honka if they were there in the 3rd or 4th rounds. I actually preferred Knyazev to both of these guys though.

I guess we will both be watching Kolyachonok's development with interest.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
I don't remember the rules for development camp. I think after a certain amount of times you attend it, you are no longer considered a "prospect" or something like that.

I could be mistaken so don't take my word for it exactly. We'll see when the Habs release the roster.

It's detailed in the CBA section 15.10 for anyone who is interested. Basically, you only "have" to attend 3 development camps (or what they are called in the CBA, conditioning camps), but you can volunteer to attend more if you want to.

It doesn't lay out the rules for NCAA players, but since the CBA dictates that everything has to be paid for by the NHL team, I assume that NCAA players can only attend if they pay for everything themselves, unless they want to lose their eligibility.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Is Leskinen able to attend development camp id like to get some looks at him before the nhl camp in september see if hes a legit nhl option this year or not

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Timmins on TSN690 was asked about the development camp and who will be there. He said from this year, Norlinder and Arsen won't be there but everyone else drafted in 2019 will be.

Also said everyone from last year will be there. Some are nursing injuries so they won't participate on any on ice drills (Hillis). But that should mean that Romanov will be there.

Reactions: jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Timmins on TSN690 was asked about the development camp and who will be there. He said from this year, Norlinder and Arsen won't be there but everyone else drafted in 2019 will be.

Also said everyone from last year will be there. Some are nursing injuries so they won't participate on any on ice drills (Hillis). But that should mean that Romanov will be there.

He also said pros like Evans will be there.

By extrapolation, I would think prospects from 2017 like Poehling, Ikonen, Suzuki, Brook, Fleury, and Primeau will also be there. That's a pretty sick list from 2017. 6 of them. No wonder Tyszka and Walford didn't get signed.

Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Interesting reminder of how many of those players who attend development camps may not make it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Liam Hawel is a valley boy, so Timmins definitely went after him.

Very good stats and size, but isn't always motivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad