Speculation: 2019 Mock Draft by Tankathon

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Lot of centers though. I think next years top-15 is going to be very, very good.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well...the 2019 draft is the 1st of three consecutive exceptionally deep and talented drafts ....2020 is supposed to be a draft for the ages...Pierre McGuire was touting the 3 drafts from 2019-2020-2021 two yeats s back on interviews I heard him on...as good as 2018 was for us and others,2019 is much deeper and unlike 2018 a lot more quality centers ...will also be better in WHL talent which was poor this draft. .Probably getting a good potential top 2 line forward and top 3 quality dman through first three rounds ....that quality and that deep over normal...

Of course if we tank into top ten again and get lucky we have a shot at Jack Hughes the Super star Crosby-like generational talent ..but lots of bother star quality available..
I have not looked at the wingers yet and mightvasxwelk avoidvthe den becausecwexarevso well pipelinecstocked now on D ..So I would look to Top quality Centers in round 1 unless a winger is there who we also project as a superstar ..Then get a Centreville early round two in that scenario ..

There certainly will be 1 goalie at least going in round ..some scouts think Spencer Knight of the USNTDP is the best goalie prospect to come along since Carey Price ..So if we cannot get our Centerbrook Wong target then maybe this is the one draft to take a potential franchise goalie?

Anyway ...true..lots of good centers this draft..

Elite Prospects lists their top 45 centers for the 2019 draft (though alphabetically ....
.not in ranking order ...

I broke down the list to 22 playing in various Canadian Junior leagues ...8 from the OHL(though 1 of them is an American)...6 from the QMJHL...5 from the WHL...1 from OJHL and 2 from the BCHL ....USA junior teams produce 8 for this list....6 from the USNTDP ,1 from USHS (high school-prep.) And 1 from the USHL ...Swedish Junior leagues show 9 centers for the list but also have 1 Swedish Centre who played in a 16 yr old league in the USA and joined the Chicago Steel late last season...So 19 swedes on the list ..

Finland ,Germany andvthe Czechs have 1 each from their leagues and the Swiss have 2 ...

Now ...some of these kids are still only 16 and do not turn 17 till later this month or in July or August or in September Sept.15th...so by next draft these late birthdays will.not even be 18 before the draft. .This with these guys and many others currently 17 ,there will be some who will have a growth spurt from now till the draft and they can also add weight needed to make them even more attractive to draft ...
Currently ...there are afew very shrimpy centers though with a lot of talent ...of course the 5'6 Cole Caulfield
and just 154 lbs...hopefully he grows and adds weight or Brian Burke will be shaking his head that any NHL team would gamble on such a tiny body no matter how great a talent he is. ..
Dean Schwenninger is only 5'8 and 139 lbs...and Nicholas Robertson is only 5'7 and 143 lbs...the Czech ,Vojtech Strondala, is only 5'7 154:...

If Stan goes that smurfy...I will be questioning his sanity.There is a limit for going small.

But if he wants to go the oppisite way..there be Giants!

The early favourite for best WHL player regardless of position is Center Dylan Cozens ...he is 6'3 176 now ...Kirby Dach may be the next one taken from the WHL and he is av6'4 192:lb Centre
...Logan Barlage is another Big Center who is 6'4 and 200 lbs already...Imagine what these 3 b8g centers might check in at by draft time in 2019!
Finland'Henri Nikkannen is 6'2 185 already and he us very talented. and could've toll grow..

John Beecher of the USNTDP is already 6'2 201 and could get bigger ...Kilby Morrissey 9f the WHL is 6'2 210 already but could get bigger ..

But the coup de grace is Huge Swedish Center ELMER SODERBLOM who is already 6'6 and 214 and is not even 17 yet ...he turns 17 on July 5th...Imagine if he continues getting talker and adds more muscle to that frame by the draft..If he was just another big slug center that would be 1 thing..but he has exceptional hands..goal score hands ..Big Power CENTRE who can score goals ... You want a Crosby (take the Jack Hughes hoping he at least adds weight from his 161 lbs currently)..but I'd you want a Lindo ,maybe huge Elmer SODERBLOM is the targetvorcat least a nice consolation prize.

In addition there are lots of 5'10 /5'11 centers some of whom will have a growth spurt this year and add some weight or will by the time they develop to be NHL ready ...Alex Turcotte of the USNTDP is already 194 lbs and is 5'11...maybe he abbd 1 to 2 inches?
And Blake Murray (Sudbury ,OHL )is already 6'1 but at 179 needs to add weight ...

So this draft as opposed to 2018 is much deeper in quality at the center position ...and so if we want to get a top quality first round worthy center ,this looks like a great draft to be targeting them for round one and even round two ...

I am not saying Centers will be the first 15 straight round one selections ..but that out of 45 centers on thus list probably 15 of them are going to be top two line centers in the NHL maybe more than that ...and probably 10-15 of the rest will play in the NHL. too..so it looks to be a very deep pool of Center talent with lots of quality.

If Jack Hughes stays at 5'10 he still probably adds 20 lbs or more over his cuurent 161 lbs by next summer ...And despite his height the talent is do good that he will go #1 ...but lots of interesting center talent to target after that. .There will be top wingers too ..

And some den of top quality..BUT for the Hawks we will need to target from the Center and winger pools ..or if we "rebound" and draft late in the round we might want to look at Spencer Knight in goal if he is the BPA when we finally draft..but I just do not see that in the cards.If we rebounds D we probably just sneak back into the playoffs then go out after 1 irc2 rounds..but even expecting that much rebound is asking a lot given the Keith and Seabrook declines and the Toes 3 peat of p-poor years and Saad discovering he cannot beat any goalies ..Probably Saad will improve his shooting % and thus "reboubd"..but Keith? Seas? Toes? THAT is one big pile of SHOW ME to bank on.

So mist likely right back at the top ten pile again. .Gonna get another stud talent ..MAYBE the next center star ?Hopefully we get that item ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad