Prospect Info: 2019 Maple Leafs Development Camp

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Larsen looks like a dandy. But he would still have to have a good showing and then get a contract. But he looks good. Good size and very good mobility and he is 20. Top 4 potential.
Wouldn't it be just awesome if someone like Larsen could take one of the open positions on defense (and he's a RD to boot) in Rookie Camp... and then again at the main camp? If they could just pull a Kaberle or a Markov out of thin air this fall... it sure would make things easier in settling the roster. Of course... they will probably have made some kind of arrangement with the Marner family by then.

member 300185

Wouldn't it be just awesome if someone like Larsen could take one of the open positions on defense (and he's a RD to boot) in Rookie Camp... and then again at the main camp? If they could just pull a Kaberle or a Markov out of thin air this fall... it sure would make things easier in settling the roster. Of course... they will probably have made some kind of arrangement with the Marner family by then.
We can only hope...

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Gunnarwolfe Fontaine with two of the three goals in the scrimmage today. Does anybody have his CHL rights? Would love to see this kid get a contract after a big camp.

Reactions: uncleben

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Undrafted Brazeau takes his best shot at Leafs summer camp | The Star
Winger Justin Brazeau is not like most of the Maple Leafs’ top prospects.

For one thing, he’s six-foot-six, a rarity in a program that seemed to want to corner the market on players under five-foot-11.

Also, he was never drafted. The North Bay Battalion winger was passed over three times by NHL teams.

“My first year, my hopes weren’t too high,” said Brazeau. “My second year, that was more disappointing. Last year, I knew it was a bit of a stretch given what happened the first two years. It was disappointing, but you build on that.”

Indeed he did, scoring a Battalion-record 61 goals to go with 52 assists in 68 games. That caught the attention of NHL scouts, and the Leafs signed the 21-year-old free agent to a two-year contract with the AHL’s Marlies.

“Toronto was the best fit for me going forward, with their development plan,” the native of New Liskeard, Ont. said Saturday at the Leafs’ development camp. “I can come down here this summer, train and skate. This was the best setup for me. They gave me the best chance at making my pro career go forward.”
Brazeau is earmarked as one of those guys. The Leafs put him on what was arguably the top line in camp, skating with centre Semyon Der-Arguchintsev and winger Nick Robertson — teammates with the OHL’s Peterborough Petes. Robertson was selected 53rd last week and stood as the highest draft pick at this camp. Der-Arguchintsev was the 76th pick in 2018. Both are under five-foot-nine, more indicative of the kind of player the Leafs have been pursuing. Both are fast and skilled.

Fast is not a word associated with Brazeau at this point, but the Leafs think that can change thanks to the magical work of skating coach Barb Underhill. He’s never had a power-skating coach.

“The biggest thing for me is the stuff with Barb. I try to put that into my game. I will get on the ice with her as much as I can,” he said. “My weakness is my skating. It’s always been that, my whole career. I’ve got some size. This year, I was able to have a good touch around the net.”

Now he gets to take the lessons learned at this camp and apply them.

“Over the last three or four years, I’ve gotten better every single day, every single year,” he said. “That’s what I’ve got to keep doing. That’s what I ask of myself, and I’m going to give myself the best chance.”

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

5 standouts from Leafs' Development Camp

Nicholas Robertson (Second round, 53rd overall, in 2019)

Nicholas Abruzzese (Fourth round, 124th overall, in 2019)

Mac Hollowell (Fourth Round, 118th overall, in 2018)

Gunnarwolfe Fontaine (Free Agent Invite, USHL’s Chicago Steel)

Riley Woods (Free Agent Invite, Spokane Chiefs)

Honourable mention:

Joseph Woll (Third round, 62nd overall, in 2016) and Ian Scott (Fourth round, 110th overall, in 2017)

Reactions: Magic Man

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Good to hear about Nicholas Abruzzese, really the only pick that left me wanting more at the draft.

Admittedly, I know literally nothing about him, but was concerned about him finally putting up numbers (leading the USHL in scoring) in his final year.

Will be an interesting one to follow next year at Harvard.

Reactions: uncleben

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
More time to get more confidence is fine too i guess. I like that we have backup for Marner, Willy with Bracco and now Der-Argu.... these kids really see the ice well and so skilled. If we lose one of them to injury we have backup.

Our backup plan if we are missing Marner and Nylander is LOTTERY PICK, not Bracco

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
How did Brazeau look out there

He is like a big bus out there...massive. Early in the first period he was setup up nicely in front for an awesome scoring chance and he ripped a wrist shot top corner only to be denied by Ian Scott with an enormous save.

Crocker the play by play guy cackled SCORES...next thing you know, faceoff to the right of Scott. 30 seconds later Crocker tells the viewers 0-0, that was no goal. Multiple replays showed the great save.

Brazeau is a Super interesting prospect though.

Reactions: Olden and teddygmr

Todd03

May 28, 2016
Of all the players the leafs had at camp the team should
sign 5 or 6 of those players.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Of all the players the leafs had at camp the team should
sign 5 or 6 of those players.
it's possible a couple might get an ECHL deal, I 100% didn't pay attention to the camp this summer, did any non contracted guys stand out?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kartye gets boost from Leafs camp
To be sure, it was an eye-opening experience.

Soo Greyhounds forward Tye Kartye spent nearly a week at the recent Toronto Maple Leafs Development Camp.

“I realized how much extra work I have to do to get to the next level,” said Kartye, a six-foot, 202-pounder, who became a valued team member in his rookie season in the Ontario Hockey League. “It was very beneficial for me.”

The 18-year-old (2001 birth year) Kingston native also spoke of the number of things he learned as a free agent invite.

Hounds teammate Joe Carroll was also a free agent invite.

Needing to raise his skill level prior to the start of his second season in a Greyhounds uniform, Kartye talked about the many drills he was introduced to in order to do just that.

“I learned a lot and I saw how good everyone is there,” said Kartye, taken by the Greyhounds in the eighth round of the 2017 OHL Priority Selections draft.

“Guys like (former Hound) Mac Hollowell. I saw how hard guys work and it gave me something to shoot for. I also saw how amazing it would be to be a pro.”

Hollowell, the OHL’s top-scoring defenceman last season, was taken by the Leafs in Round 4 of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.

Kartye noted how his former Soo teammate was one of the best players at the camp, which began a couple of days following the June 21-22 draft in Vancouver.

But he wasn’t the only standout.

And that had Kartye focused on both fine-tuning and expanding his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad