• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I’m trying to learn more about AHL contracts, but there is little info. Is there a max AHLers get paid on AHL contracts? Apparently the average AHL deal is 90K. The max an ELC player gets in the AHL is 70K... so Brazeau likey isn’t losing anything... he might actually be benefiting. Do we know what he signed for?

Also, I have a hard time believing the Leafs would get out bid on an AHL deal. I mean, there is no salary cap in the AHL... why not pay out? We got the money... I’m not saying the report is wrong, just find it odd if true.

I do not know if there’s a max on ahl, but typically i’ve seen contracts up to 700k. Any higher would be illogical because why would you spend so much on a player if hes not playing in the nhl? Usually an ahl deal is 70k for ahl replacement level player, but brazeau’s deal is 70k plus 60k signing bonus. Temporarily ignoring his deal, an elc would be favorable because of the signing bonus and hope one would make it to the big leagues. Also, playing in one game provides 5-8k (using 500k/82).

Teams did not want to give him a elc because it uses up a roster spot (teams can only have 50) and probably because they did not want to pay him so much. One thing to remember is that he’s not a surefire prospect. Teams and the leafs probably see brazeau as an echler/ahler which is why they do not want to pay him 700k. Leafs are still a business and still should spend their dollars wisely.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Lindgren for me, at this point. In the second ten of the list of Leafs prospects we aren’t talking about sure things for the NHL. But steady and successful play in one of the better men’s leagues in the world is a plus. I would follow this up with some of the Marlies who have been getting good coaching in the system and are ripening on the vine. I won’t argue strongly with folks who slip them ahead of Lindgren.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I look at it as guys with 1st line NHL potential. To me it is Sandin, Bracco and SDA. That's really all we have for potential 1st liners. Other guys are much closer but mostly 3rd and 4th liners at best.
I have Sandin and Liljigren as potential #2/#3 Dmen, and both Bracco and SDA as solid second liners.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
I look at it as guys with 1st line NHL potential. To me it is Sandin, Bracco and SDA. That's really all we have for potential 1st liners. Other guys are much closer but mostly 3rd and 4th liners at best.

WOW ,,,, in what world is SDA 1st line potential ?

yes we only have 1 tier 1 prospect in sandin but i wouldnt even consider SDA a tier 2 prospect.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
I like Timashov.

Has been in the AHL since he was 19, put up 50 points last season as a 22 year old.

2nd on the team in playoff scoring.

Hard to believe he had 0 votes, am I missing something here?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

SDA has first line potential? News to me.

Top line NHL players generally don't score 6 goals in the +1 draft season.

Last edited:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I like Timashov.

Has been in the AHL since he was 19, put up 50 points last season as a 22 year old.

2nd on the team in playoff scoring.

Hard to believe he had 0 votes, am I missing something here?

I think most believe he's topped out as a career AHL player. I don't see him getting a call up next season....maybe if injuries on the wing get really bad.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
WOW ,,,, in what world is SDA 1st line potential ?

yes we only have 1 tier 1 prospect in sandin but i wouldnt even consider SDA a tier 2 prospect.
Just watch him skate. I think he may be near best skater we have right now. The guy can turn in a phone booth on either edge. and watch his hands like a lacrosse stick with puck on his stick. again do we have a guy who can do that now? not one that i have seen yet. once he grows and develops look out. the sky is the limit. anyways he may flop too. it was like babs said first time he saw him skate and handle puck - holy f*ck is that for real?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
SDA has first line potential? News to me.

Top line NHL players generally don't score 6 goals in the +1 draft season.
It has got nothing to do with goals and assists. I am talking about his technical skills skating and handling puck. It is world class.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

His teammate Nick Robertson has much more potential to be a 1st/2nd line player than SDA.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It has got nothing to do with goals and assists. I am talking about his technical skills skating and handling puck. It is world class.

Well all of those world class skills have to translate into production at some point. I don't see many players have that kind of +1 draft season and go on to be a top NHLer.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Look Nic is a good kid but he has only a tiny fraction of the skill that SDA possesses.

Skill will get your foot in the door, but you got to have heart to push you to the next level. Everything I've heard about Nick Robertson indicates to me the kids is all heart, and has been pushing to compete and get better his entire life.

It's still to be seen if SDA has that inner drive to elevate his game to the next level.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Wish the hockey gods would bless us and Rasanen turns into a top4 d :(

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Look, what good is all that skill when it doesn't translate to on ice results.
Agreed. But my point was I start out with skill first. So I rank prospects by skill-skating, stickwork, vision. And I see us having 3 prospects with line 1 level skill. But they could all flop out. it could turn out that Nic has so much drive that he elevates into a 1st liner - amazing luck with tier 2 level skill because he wants it more and trains 10X as hard.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
:laugh:

Are you not familiar with who Nic Petan is?

OHL Post draft year:

Petan: 35g 78a 113p in 63 games.

SDA: 6g 40a 46p in 62 games.
It is not about points to keep score.
SDA has a 13 inch radius edge turn at 20 clicks
Petan blows a wheel when even attempting

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't actually know what edge turn radius at 20 clicks either guy can accomplish but there are guys you watch and you can see it instantly. Everyone knows. Much like a guy like Kovalev maybe the most skilled guy ever in the NHL. But he only tried a little every game. and took most games off completely. But when he did give er everyone's jaw dropped. You could just see it when he skated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad