• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards for I think my 10th straight year. The criteria for a prospect will be loosely based on Calder eligibility. There may be a couple that slip through the cracks the first few posts because I am not perfect. Also please let me know if I have someone listed that is no longer with us, or any omissions. Comprehensive prospect lists are a little harder to find than you'd think this time of year.

Rankings:

1. Rasmus Sandin -- 68.3%
2. Timothy Liljegren -- 87.4%
3. Jeremy Bracco -- 60.7%
4. Nicholas Robertson -- 40.5%
5. Trevor Moore -- 32.9%
6. Ilya Mikheyev -- 24%
7. Joseph Woll -- 32.8%
8. Ian Scott -- 47.9%
9. Mikko Kokkonen -- 39.5%
10. Yegor Korshkov -- 29.8%
11. Mac Hollowell -- 35.4%

Mike Koster
Jesper Lindgren
Dmytro Timashov
Mikhail Abramov
Adam Brooks
Riley Stotts
Filip Kral
Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
Eemeli Rasanen
Pierre Engvall
Teemu Kivihalme
Justin Brazeau
Pontus Holmberg
Joe Duszak
Mason Marchment

Dakota Joshua
Martins Dzierkals
Kasimir Kaskisuo
JD Greenway
Nikolai Chebykin
Vladimir Bobylev
Vladislav Kara
Ryan O'Connell
Zach Bouthillier
Semyon Kizimov
Miro Aaltonen
Aaron Luchuk
Nick Abruzzese
Calle Loponen

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #5
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9
Prospect Ranking #10
Prospect Ranking #11

Suggest who I should add next. :D

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
10. SDA
11. Lindgren
14. Kivihalme
15. Engvall
16. Kral

Add Loponen.

Loponen is an interesting one, but not sure how you can vote him or Koster ahead of Abruzzese this early after a draft. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to pretend to know more than our scouts!

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Loponen is an interesting one, but not sure how you can vote him or Koster ahead of Abruzzese this early after a draft. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to pretend to know more than our scouts!

Koster is in the poll already, and I'm not a fan of the Abruzzese pick.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Hfboards on Brazeau:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Sleeping-Puppy.gif

Reactions: ChrisCall

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Right, but what makes you think you know more than our Amatuer scouts? What do you dislike about Abruzzese?

He's 20, and kind of dominated a league that he should have been out of 2 years ago if he was a real prospect.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
This is a good spot for Lindgren.
So hard to project, but no doubt has done incredible so far. Very intriguing.

Engvall and Kivihalme next for me

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You also think you know more about our NHL scouts, who couldn't even be bother to sign Brazeau to an NHL deal ;)

Well, OHL GMs rated Brazeau higher than Hollowell, so I'm weight that pretty heavily.

Also, we don't know if Brazeau didn't recieve any NHL offers. Most was expecting him to get an ELC, and were surprised he signed an AHL deal. If you think about it though, an AHL deal pays you just about the same as an ELC to play for the Marlies....

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
He's 20, and kind of dominated a league that he should have been out of 2 years ago if he was a real prospect.

So you're saying you're biased against 20 year olds that dominate the USHL ;) Fair enough. But our scouts see something in his game that they like more than Koster and Loponen. :nod:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Well, OHL GMs rated Brazeau higher than Hollowell, so I'm weight that pretty heavily.

Also, we don't know if Brazeau didn't recieve any NHL offers. Most was expecting him to get an ELC, and were surprised he signed an AHL deal. If you think about it though, an AHL deal pays you just about the same as an ELC to play for the Marlies....

Not sure why you bring up Holowell, but let me try to work this into you.

Barzeau was probably the better OHL player, I'll admit and agree to that. He loses a lot the advantages he had in the OHL as he works his way up into pro leagues. No longer does he have 8 inches, 50 pounds and a mass of muscle on everyone else in the league. It's fair to say that Barzeau's two biggest assets are his size and his shot. To take away the size factor now, really limits Barzeau's potential.

Holowell has a skillset that is much more transferable to the pro leagues. Puck movement, vision, incredible iq, and quick feet all transfer to the big leagues very well. Something that gives him a lot more potential and makes him much more projectable.

Meh, the fact is, he didn't sign an NHL elc, something he definitely should have done if it was offered to him. Who knows, maybe he could develop a larger skillset and be a nhler one year, right now though, Holowell has much more potential

Reactions: hockeynorth

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So you're saying you're biased against 20 year olds that dominate the USHL ;) Fair enough. But our scouts see something in his game that they like more than Koster and Loponen. :nod:

Yeah. According to Manny Elk's (corsica) NHLe ratings (abeit the latest I can find is July 2018), the USHL is the 53rd ranked league. Never a bad thing for a guy to be dominant, but he's also 2+ years older than most guys in the league.

At least Koster/Loponen have age on their side.

Looking up the NHLe ratings, I found Manny's pre 2018-19 pure analytics draft rankings. He had Koster ranked 9th :laugh:

Edit: And Loponen 144th.

His midseason rankings had Koster at 34th.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not sure why you bring up Holowell, but let me try to work this into you.

Barzeau was probably the better OHL player, I'll admit and agree to that. He loses a lot the advantages he had in the OHL as he works his way up into pro leagues. No longer does he have 8 inches, 50 pounds and a mass of muscle on everyone else in the league. It's fair to say that Barzeau's two biggest assets are his size and his shot. To take away the size factor now, really limits Barzeau's potential.

Holowell has a skillset that is much more transferable to the pro leagues. Puck movement, vision, incredible iq, and quick feet all transfer to the big leagues very well. Something that gives him a lot more potential and makes him much more projectable.

Meh, the fact is, he didn't sign an NHL elc, something he definitely should have done if it was offered to him. Who knows, maybe he could develop a larger skillset and be a nhler one year, right now though, Holowell has much more potential

I dunno, man. Any size advantage Brazeau has is negated by the fact he had no support players to play with... Brazeau also has a lot of room to grow muscle wise IMO. Especially the lower body which will only help his skating.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Yes we do know that he was not offered an ELC from any team, it was in The Athletic article.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Yes we do know that he was not offered an ELC from any team, it was in The Athletic article.

Sorry, i don’t subscribe to the athletic... what was the source / quote? I’m surprised that kind of info went public...

Edit: was it the same article that suggested that he’s around a top 10 propsect in our system?

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
"Walters told Paliafito that unless the Leafs could offer his player an entry-level contract that they would have to submit their best AHL contract offer — and their development plan — and stand in line in May.

Though the other team offered slightly more money on a two-year AHL contract, Brazeau and Walters ultimately settled on the Leafs in part because of the initiative of their general manager. Dubas was the only general manager of an NHL team that reached out personally.
The second team of interest tabled a development plan that included a skating coach — who Brazeau would have had to pay for himself and work with a certain number of times a month — that was four hours away from the team’s trainers."

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
"Walters told Paliafito that unless the Leafs could offer his player an entry-level contract that they would have to submit their best AHL contract offer — and their development plan — and stand in line in May.

Though the other team offered slightly more money on a two-year AHL contract, Brazeau and Walters ultimately settled on the Leafs in part because of the initiative of their general manager. Dubas was the only general manager of an NHL team that reached out personally.
The second team of interest tabled a development plan that included a skating coach — who Brazeau would have had to pay for himself and work with a certain number of times a month — that was four hours away from the team’s trainers."

It doesn’t state there wasn’t more teams interested, though...

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
How interested were those teams when it came down to him choosing between 2 AHL deals, 1 from a team that was having Brazeau pay for his own skating coach.

I’m trying to learn more about AHL contracts, but there is little info. Is there a max AHLers get paid on AHL contracts? Apparently the average AHL deal is 90K. The max an ELC player gets in the AHL is 70K... so Brazeau likey isn’t losing anything... he might actually be benefiting. Do we know what he signed for?

Also, I have a hard time believing the Leafs would get out bid on an AHL deal. I mean, there is no salary cap in the AHL... why not pay out? We got the money... I’m not saying the report is wrong, just find it odd if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->