GDT: 2019 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

Who are you looking forward to the most if they represent their country?

• Sweden: Philip Broberg, D [2019 Draft]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USA: Evan Barratt, C [Blackhawks - 90th overall in 2017]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hughes yes, doubt Kakko will.
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: Murzu

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Kakko will play in the NHL next season, Hughes probably not.
If Jack Hughes gets picked 1st overall in the draft, he is playing in the NHL next season.

Only one player selected 1st overall since 2000 hasn't played in the NHL the following season, and that's Erik Johnson.

Hughes would have to either commit to going to a college for next season, or completely bomb his training camp and preseason to not make the NHL.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Did Heponiemi grow? He's listed as 5'11 but I recall him being shorter than that in the WHL.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I thought Kakko and Hughes would be more dominant in this tournament. I’m not sure they will be impact players 10 months from now.
McDavid's first junior hockey tournament wasn't that impressive. 4 points in 7 games, I remember watching him and saying to myself, is this what all the hype about with McDavid

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
McDavid's first junior hockey tournament wasn't that impressive. 4 points in 7 games, I remember watching him and saying to myself, is this what all the hype about with McDavid
Is that true? And is that the same tournament Hughes and Kakko are at age wise? Because I had the same questions. I mean they both showed flashes of being solid. But I was hoping to see more.

Kakko to me is slower (not slow but not fast either) than I’d like and doesn’t look 6’4 like he’s listed some places. Hughes seemed sick or something. Obviously he was injured as well. But I worry about his shot. Because for all the Johnny Hockey and Kane comparisons those dudes can shoot a puck and Hughes is just seemingly a generational skater and puck handler with great vision. But just doesn’t shoot enough because it’s weak and to me it’s a lot of skating around for a lot less gain. Like he’s be great on a line with Laine or someone like that. But we don’t have one of those

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
So Kakko does not speak English. I saw the post game interview with him where he had someone translate for him. There might be an adjustment period for him to playing in NA when he comes over.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
If Jack Hughes gets picked 1st overall in the draft, he is playing in the NHL next season.

Only one player selected 1st overall since 2000 hasn't played in the NHL the following season, and that's Erik Johnson.

Hughes would have to either commit to going to a college for next season, or completely bomb his training camp and preseason to not make the NHL.
Sure but he won't be picked 1st.
Loosing team doesn't want more loosers on their roster.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
You're thinking of his draft -1 tournament. He had 11 points the year after (shared scoring lead).
But comparing any of them to McDavid might be setting yourself for disappointment.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Is that true? And is that the same tournament Hughes and Kakko are at age wise? Because I had the same questions. I mean they both showed flashes of being solid. But I was hoping to see more.

Kakko to me is slower (not slow but not fast either) than I’d like and doesn’t look 6’4 like he’s listed some places. Hughes seemed sick or something. Obviously he was injured as well. But I worry about his shot. Because for all the Johnny Hockey and Kane comparisons those dudes can shoot a puck and Hughes is just seemingly a generational skater and puck handler with great vision. But just doesn’t shoot enough because it’s weak and to me it’s a lot of skating around for a lot less gain. Like he’s be great on a line with Laine or someone like that. But we don’t have one of those
Yes, I believe McDavid was 17 as well when he played in his 1st U20 world junior championship and like I said, he didn't look all that impressive the way he was being hyped.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You're thinking of his draft -1 tournament. He had 11 points the year after (shared scoring lead).
But comparing any of them to McDavid might be setting yourself for disappointment.
Oh I'm not comparing Hughes or Kakko to McDavid, just saying this tournament is a short tournament, and you cant really judge players based on how they perform

Edit: his 2nd tournament was much better, 1st one not so much

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So Kakko does not speak English. I saw the post game interview with him where he had someone translate for him. There might be an adjustment period for him to playing in NA when he comes over.
It's ok, he'll have Rantanen to help him out until his English gets better:sarcasm:

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

His teammate answered on that question in twitter some time ago,

"Kakko speaks english, and is constantly learning. Let's try to find/create problems somewhere else."

Going in front of media after scoring the golden goal and having to speak in your secondary language isn't your everyday situation at 17y.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Almost everyone from Finland understands English, but very few are used to speaking it since it's not used in everyday life.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Almost everyone from Finland understands English, but very few are used to speaking it since it's not used in everyday life.

Yeah, it's very easy for some to write behind the computer but how many of us have been speaking in english in front of media like that at 17y?

No one.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah, it's very easy for some to write behind the computer but how many of us have been speaking in english in front of media like that at 17y?

No one.
Well... I mean... How many people in the world were interviewed at 17 by anyone for anything in any language? Not exactly a measure of proficiency.

Reactions: BleedWell

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
To be honest, I'd expect every 15 yo+ Fin to answer those English questions easily. I'm always surprised when a young Fin doesn't speak English.

Though it might just be that these kids have invested their time to different things than being an active English leaner.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well... I mean... How many people in the world were interviewed at 17 by anyone for anything in any language? Not exactly a measure of proficiency.

So you agree if you put a 17y old speak in his secondary language in front of a crowd like that he's going to feel the nerves?

Reactions: UncleRisto

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
This Kakko hype needs to slow down. Avs are going to have to win the lottery to draft him at this point. We're gonna get stuck with J. Hughes.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hughes is still the 1st overall pick. One game does not sway scouts when the gap between the two is as large as it is.

Kakko has probably cemented himself as the #2 after this tourny but he's not going #1, no matter what one particularly annoying Finn in this thread has to say.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I think Hughes is still number one but I also think the gap isn't that big. I also know that the draft is six months away, a lot can happen between now and then.

If the draft was today, I'd guess at least 4/5 of the scouts would pick Hughes 1st overall. A lot has to do with the fact that currently Hughes is C and Kakko is W. How it will be in the NHL remains to be seen (though I expect them to play those positions in the future too).

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So you agree if you put a 17y old speak in his secondary language in front of a crowd like that he's going to feel the nerves?
I think for most Finns it would not be a such a problem that you need a translator. Not in these days at least, maybe 20 years ago it would be more understandable. HOWEVER, I don't think it will be a problem going forward. I have no doubt that between the end of this season and the draft Kakko will get some intensive English classes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad