GDT: 2019 IIHF U18 Tournament

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Zegras does look an awful lot like Barzal to me.

I don't love his game as much as some, but when he flashes that way I get intrigued. I just love how he uses his skating to create space and seems to understand when to go and when to start and stop.

He looks so calm on the puck. When everyone else is driving the pace, he looks so comfortable in downshifting the actual speed, yet maintain the tempo of the game.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sigh... watching Jack Hughes makes me sad.

I am happy as a USA fan, also I think having him in the New York area will be good for USA hockey. Shame we didn't get him, but that is the nature of the lottery. I really look forward to watching him play though, he is one of my favorite people to just watch play. Special offensive talent

Reactions: mantha39

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don’t think we have anyone on the Wings capable or even willing to attempt that play in that moment.

AA attempts stuff like that, the execution level is more of the thing in terms of Zegras has a total control to it. Those aren't plays that endear you to a NHL coach though so the first time you don't execute it expect to be stapled to the bench for a little bit.

I think some of the things Zegras tries are simply not going to work at the NHL level, but maybe he Marner's on through that in terms of a lot of people though he wouldn't be able to do that at the NHL level. Though honestly the spin-o-rama blind pass I have seen Zegras through a lot this year is not going to work in the NHL in my opinion at all.

Zegras has a very intriguing ceiling though to be sure, but I think he is a little ways away yet.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
AA attempts stuff like that, the execution level is more of the thing in terms of Zegras has a total control to it. Those aren't plays that endure you to a NHL coach though so the first time you don't execute it expect to be stapled to the bench for a little bit.

I think some of the things Zegras tries are simply not going to work at the NHL level, but maybe he Marner's on through that in terms of a lot of people though he wouldn't be able to do that at the NHL level. Though honestly the spin-o-rama blind pass I have seen Zegras through a lot this year is not going to work in the NHL in my opinion at all.

Zegras has a very intriguing ceiling though to be sure, but I think he is a little ways away yet.

Veleno does stuff like this from time to time as well.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Veleno does stuff like this from time to time as well.

Yeah and it is a part of why he got picked 30th in my opinion. I don't like the amount of hope plays that Zegras makes. I like a lot of his game, I just think it needs some smoothing out. His vision and hands are wonderful, there is a lot to work with but he makes a lot of low percentage plays for me. He can pull them of from time to time. I don't know, I won't absolutely kill it, but I would prefer other guys in the six slot.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
AA attempts stuff like that, the execution level is more of the thing in terms of Zegras has a total control to it. Those aren't plays that endure you to a NHL coach though so the first time you don't execute it expect to be stapled to the bench for a little bit.

There will undoubtedly be a learning curve of what works and what doesn’t. The flash isn’t what I find to be the selling point, it’s that he identifies the opportunity and makes the play. And for every spinning pass he’s made, he makes multiple “generic” plays that also rely on his vision or IQ or senses, whichever term you prefer.

I don’t see Zegras making the flashy plays unnecessarily, like the specific play that we were discussing, he was a step or two inside the zone, surrounded by both Canadian and USA jerseys with no time or space to work with. He just corralled the puck through his legs, effectively giving himself extra room to work, and made a pass on the tape of his teammate cleanly. The spinning backhand passes are usually made when he’s got the defender turned and facing their own net without the ability to defend a pass coming from behind them. It’s flashy, but it serves a purpose more times than not. But I agree, a lot of that dries up when you are going against players who can identify your tendencies, can react just quick, and are a little stronger on their checks.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Turcotte hasn't seemed too noticeable today IMO. When you put him right next to Krebs like that, I think I prefer the improved skating.

Turcotte has been pretty noticeable to me on the boards and down low. The Canadians are having a real tough time with him down there, him and Zegras outworked them for the first USA goal which he scored.

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah and it is a part of why he got picked 30th in my opinion. I don't like the amount of hope plays that Zegras makes. I like a lot of his game, I just think it needs some smoothing out. His vision and hands are wonderful, there is a lot to work with but he makes a lot of low percentage plays for me. He can pull them of from time to time. I don't know, I won't absolutely kill it, but I would prefer other guys in the six slot.

Also my #1 concern, and not quite sure how I feel about it.

I like guys who think they can make any pass, but sometimes it’s dicey.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Boldy is a lot more than just a goal scoring winger, my lord does he have good dangle in his game and plus vision. I don't think we are going to pick him nor should we, but he really can do a lot with the puck.

I know that has been the case for a lot of the season, but I do like that he makes plays all over the offensive zone.

Reactions: Frk It

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If Dach was healthy and Byram was out of the playoffs, we could conceivably be looking at 9 of the top 10 players come draft day.

Hughes
Turcotte
Zegras
Boldy
Caufield

Byram
Cozens
Dach
Krebs

Good year for North American hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events