2019 - Hunt for the Playoffs (Metro/Eastern Conf GDT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Seeing as it is quite tight it feels worthy to get something like this going. I seem to recall us doing something similar in 2015 or maybe 2016? Anyway. Below is the current table, the five teams fighting for those last two Wild Card spots and the two Metro Spots and the schedules. I haven't used tables in a while, so it might be formatted well.
TeamGPWLOTLPTSGR
Washington593220771 23
Blue Jackets573321369 25
Penguins593121769 23
Canadiens593121769 23
Hurricanes593122668 23
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Schedule:

Washington: @Kings, @Leafs, @Sabres, v Rangers, v Senators, @Isles, @rangers, @Flyers, v Devils, v Jets, @Penguins, @Flyers, @lightning, @devils, v Lightning, v Wild, v Flyers, v Canes, @Canes, v Lightning, @Panthers, @canadiens, @Isles

Blue Jackets: v Lightning, @canadiens, @Senators, v Sharks, v Pens, v Flyers, v Oilers, v Jets, @devils, @Pens, v Pens, @Isles, v Bruins, v Canes, @Bruins, @Flames, @Oilers, @CANUCKS, v Isles, v Canadiens, @Predators, @Sabres, v Bruins, v Rangers, @Senators

Pens: @devils, v Sharks, @Flyers, @CBJ, @Sabres, @canadiens, v Panthers, v CBJ, @CBJ, v Bruins, v Capitals, @Sabres, v Blues, v Flyers, @Canes, @Preds, @Stars, @rangers, v Preds, v Canes, @rwings, v RWings, v Rangers

Canadiens: v CBJ, v Flyers, @Leafs, @devils, @rwings, @rangers, v Pens, @Kings, @sharks, @Ducks, v RWings, @Isles, v Hawks, @Flyers, v Isles, v Sabres, @Canes, v Panthers, @CBJ, @Jets, v Lightning, @Capitals, v Leafs

Hurricanes: v Rangers, @Panthers, @Stars, v Kings, v Blues, @Panthers, @Bruins, v Jets, @Preds, @Avs, @CBJ, v Sabres, v Pens, v Lightning, v Wild, v Canadiens, @Capitals, v Capitals, v Flyers, @Pens, @Leafs, v Devils, @Flyers

So, will we make it?

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
OOg0Z6f.gif

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
To be perfectly honest I won't even be heartbroken if they miss the playoffs this year, I have a hard time believing that the Pens could really compete with a team like Tampa even if they went "all-in" and somehow got Duchene to play with Crosby. In any case I think the Pens will sneak into the playoffs because I don't think Columbus are as good as their record says they are.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The one thing that concerns me is our schedule looks pretty tough. Although given we seem to play up to good opponents and down versus bad ones, maybe that's a good thing?

I think we will make it. I see Montreal or Columbus being the ones to miss if anyone does.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think they will probably make it, but they need to finish in the top 7 if they have any hope of going anywhere IMO.

Carolina has the toughest schedule left, after the Canes next 4 games their schedule is brutal.

If it goes down to the last week which it probably will Pens got a pretty good schedule playing Detroit twice and NYR to end the year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think they will probably make it, but they need to finish in the top 7 if they have any hope of going anywhere IMO.

Carolina has the toughest schedule left, after the Canes next 4 games their schedule is brutal.

If it goes down to the last week which it probably will Pens got a pretty good schedule playing Detroit twice and NYR to end the year.

It’s hard to quantify who has the “tougher” schedule left because teams have matchup problems with different teams who may not even be in PO position..like I think NJD is a tougher game on the schedule for the Pens than they would be for the other teams...also, the Red Wings have won 4 of the last 6 matchups with the Pens...not an easy matchup for the Pens either

Reactions: ncm7772

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It’s hard to quantify who has the “tougher” schedule left because teams have matchup problems with different teams who may not even be in PO position..like I think NJD is a tougher game on the schedule for the Pens than they would be for the other teams...also, the Red Wings have won 4 of the last 6 matchups with the Pens...not an easy matchup for the Pens either

I just don't see the Pens losing to Detroit the final week of the season if their season is on the line.

Detroit might also be in full tank mode the final week of the season, those games for Detroit might mean the difference between picking in the top 3 or picking in the top 8.

Pens have done well in the past against Carolina Buffalo CBJ and NYR, 9 of the final 23 games are against those teams.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I'm feeling positive, they'll be good

For no reason.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
0% chance tampa wants to play the pens in the first round. While they may be the best team in the league they haven't been world beaters in the playoffs. Washington steam rolled them last year even though it took 7 games; incredibly lopsided.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tampa 117% ha

117 Points.

As an aside it still is a bit early to not take Micah's models with a huge grain of salt. Yes, he looks at future opponents, etc.

That said his model routinely swings by as much as 5% one way, and even a 10% swing between two teams playing one another, based on a single game. As we get closer toward the end of the season, and during the playoffs, are where his models really shine.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
0% chance tampa wants to play the pens in the first round. While they may be the best team in the league they haven't been world beaters in the playoffs. Washington steam rolled them last year even though it took 7 games; incredibly lopsided.

I don't think the Pens can win the Cup as currently constructed, but I do think they've got enough firepower that no one will want to face them in Round 1. If Murray stands on his head and our big guns show up to play, they can take out anyone. I just don't know if that's sustainable for more than 1 round.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
f*** I hope we make it, i need to watch Sid play more playoff hockey before he retires. That's THE closest we ever see him to peak levels before concussion,due to that he gives maximum effort in the playoffs

If we don't make it, where would our 1st round pick likely fall? Im comforting myself with the pipe dream that we could strike a Barzal and make up for what could've been

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like people are way more down on the Penguins chances in the playoffs than they should be. The sole problem is getting to the playoffs, once they're in the playoffs, I really think a lot of their problems will immediately get better. I don't think their problems are from not being that good of a team, I think it's more of a problem of them not caring about the regular season enough to play structured and disciplined hockey every game. I don't think those will be problems in the playoffs.

Murray has a .932 save% since coming back from his injury in December, and has had above a .900 save% in 14 of 18 starts over that span. Crosby is having one of his best seasons of all time, with having a 105 point pace and legitimately playing at a Selke level defensively. Guentzel has had a torrid pace pretty much all season, and Rust has had a torrid pace in his last ~30 games after a horrid start. Letang is playing at a near Norris level this year. Schultz has come back from his injury looking fantastic. Pettersson has done a really good job at solidifying the bottom-2 pairs on defense. This doesn't even mention guys like Malkin, Kessel and Hornqvist, who are struggling now but have been showing signs of life at different points this year.

The point is that this team is a really damn good team, regardless of how they finish in the regular season. All that matters is that they make the playoffs, they're one of the top contenders regardless of whether they're the #1 seed or the 2nd WC team.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
117 Points.

As an aside it still is a bit early to not take Micah's models with a huge grain of salt. Yes, he looks at future opponents, etc.

That said his model routinely swings by as much as 5% one way, and even a 10% swing between two teams playing one another, based on a single game. As we get closer toward the end of the season, and during the playoffs, are where his models really shine.

bad look for me ha.Thought that didn't seem quite right.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think the Pens can win the Cup as currently constructed, but I do think they've got enough firepower that no one will want to face them in Round 1. If Murray stands on his head and our big guns show up to play, they can take out anyone. I just don't know if that's sustainable for more than 1 round.

If we play Tampa in the 1st we’d likely have a good chance at winning the cup if we get passed them.

We also have players I think will be really good in the playoffs that look average in the regular season. I honesty think we have a pretty good mix going. Even if the framework is for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad