2019 HFNHL Mock Draft - Final Edition

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
We're only a week away from the 2019 HFNHL Entry Draft, so let's take a shot at doing a full first round mock (plus some bonus second round picks).

1. Detroit Red Wings - Jack Hughes

At this point, the decision has been made more difficult for GM Zac Niece. But I still feel that Jack Hughes is his man; that talented franchise center that he can rebuild around.

2. Columbus Blue Jackets - Kaapo Kaako
GM Douglas Emerson has the easiest job of any of us on this day. Simply take the one that Niece does not. In this scenario, that is Kaako, who is fresh off an incredible performance against NHL players at the World Championships.

3. Philadelphia Flyers - Bowen Byram
With such a deep and talented farm system already, the Flyers can simply focus on taking the draft's third best player. And for most people, that player is Vancouver defender Bowen Byram. He dominated the WHL playoffs and looks like a potential future Norris winner.

4. Dallas Stars - Dylan Cozens
A West Coast man, this was the same pick that I had Tom Baker making in my post lottery mock draft. Needing a franchise forward to build around, Baker looks closer to home for Cozens, whose size and speed combination make him an alluring addition.

5. Vegas Golden Knights - Alex Turcotte
Injuries aside this year, Turcotte is considered by many this year to be the third best forward available behind Hughes and Kaako. He's an all situations type of center who plays a feisty game, the way that GM Jon Lemoine seems to like in his draft picks.

6. Carolina Hurricanes - Kirby Dach
Another West Coast GM, I think Darryl Solly also picks closer to home, taking the large playmaking center out of Saskatoon. Dach is compared to Ryan Getzlaf by some scouting agencies and oozes potential, giving Carolina another solid young building block.

7. Arizona Coyotes - Peyton Krebs
The Coyotes, as much as I think they would like to add a young defender to the fold here, go for Krebs, a solid two-way center who gives the Coyotes a potential all situations, well rounded SIM player that fits in well with some of the more offensive first forward types that they have drafted in recent years.

8. Florida Panthers - Trevor Zegras
While there are rumours swirling that GM Brock Otten has been working the phones to try to move up in the draft, Florida sticks here and takes Zegras, a playmaking center with the USDP who has some of the best vision in the draft.

9. Edmonton Oilers - Cole Caufield
Full into a rebuild, the Oilers step up to take the pint sized goal scorer in Cole Caufield. He tied Alex Ovechkin's record for goals at the U18's and is one of the draft's most dynamic and efficient players. I'm sure GM Drew Niece is hoping one of the top centers falls to him here, but if not, I think Caufield would be his man.

10. New Jersey Devils - Matthew Boldy

Seen as some as the next Mark Stone, Boldy is a solid, yet unspectacular winger who can excel in any situation and is about as close to a slam dunk NHL player as anyone in this draft. We know how Devils GM Chris Malec loves his USDP players and one of the better ones falls right into his lap.

11. Philadelphia Flyers - Vasili Podkolzin

Podkolzin's fall is over as the Flyers take the chance on the talented Russian winger who they may have to be patient for. But he is a terrific selection at this point in the draft after others pass on him because of KHL contract concerns and a poor performance at the U18's.

12. Montreal Canadiens - Alex Newhook
This is a tough one considering that this franchise does not currently have a General Manager. We don't know tendencies. But we do know that Montreal needs to get back to drafting well and that starts with taking higher upside players. No one left at this spot has as much upside as Newhook, who dominated the BCHL this year and is off to BC next fall.

13. Philadelphia Flyers - Philip Broberg
As mentioned, Philly has such a strong and deep group of young players, they can afford to take chances. Sure they select Byram at #3, but they also take Broberg, one of the defenders in this draft with the most potential because of how dynamic a puck rusher he is. They can afford to roll the dice here.

14. Pittsburgh Penguins - Thomas Harley

Looking to add to the Penguins future blueline, Pittsburgh drafts potential Brent Burns replacement Thomas Harley, a big kid, but a fluid skater and dynamic offensive player. With his skill set, he has drawn comparisons to Thomas Chabot.

15. Los Angeles Kings - Victor Soderstrom
LA steps up to take Soderstrom, a solid two-way defender with offensive upside who can probably move quickly through the organization and suit up for them soon. GM Mike McEwan has drafted out of Sweden a fair amount in recent years.

16. Pittsburgh Penguins - Spencer Knight

Everyone knows that the Penguins have been searching for some goaltending help after Cory Schneider bit the dust. And with multiple first round picks, Pittsburgh jumps at the chance to take one of the best goalie prospects to come around in years. Of course, this will infuriate New Jersey who was hoping to snag Knight at #17.

17. New Jersey Devils - Arthur Kaliyev

Back to back wingers for the Devils, who are still pissed off about Knight. But Kaliyev is very different than Boldy, as one of the draft's biggest wild cards. There are some concerns over his pace and engagement level, but few players in this draft are as effective as Kaliyev in the offensive end.

18. Vancouver Canucks - Cam York
The Canucks grab Cam York, the #1 defender on one of the best USDP teams ever assembled. York is a pro style two-way defender whose puck moving ability and vision on the powerplay are big time assets moving forward. Vancouver loves taking players who measure well in the hockey IQ department and that's York.

19. Tampa Bay Lightning - Moritz Seider
The SimGod steps up and takes the ze Big German defender in Seider, one of the draft's biggest risers in the second half thanks to his strong finish in the DEL and at the World Championships. He gives Tampa a quality top four blueliner who could be a great PK guy in the future.

20. Anaheim Ducks - Philip Tomasino

Tomasino profiles well as the type of player that Anaheim GM Roy Larsen seems to target at the draft. Speed and skill are well on display as Tomasino was one of the draft's best performers from an analytical viewpoint this year.

21. Toronto Maple Leafs - Connor McMichael

New GM Bradley Palmer is a Southwestern Ontario native and would be very familiar with McMichael after a solid season for the London Knights. In his first HFNHL draft, he opts for a bit of a safer pick in the smooth skating, but incredibly intelligent forward.

22. Boston Bruins - Brett Leason
Lord knows that Boston GM Rob Kreuger loves size. So why not opt for Leason, one of the draft's biggest players, but also someone who can potentially play in his top 6 moving forward. In his third year of eligibility, Leason had a breakout year after upgrading his skating and emerging as on of the top players in the WHL.

23. Anaheim Ducks - Ville Heinola
Anaheim grabs Heinola, a smart two-way puck mover who had a fair amount of success playing against men in Liiga play this year. He gives Anaheim a solid building block on the back-end and seems like a safe bet to be a top four NHL defender sooner, rather than later.

24. Vegas Golden Knights - Raphael Lavoie
After taking Turcotte in the top 5, the Golden Knights take Lavoie, a big, power forward who had a terrific playoff performance in the QMJHL. As a late 2000 born, he is also a little bit closer to making an impact in the HFNHL and helping the Golden Knights become a powerhouse in the West.

25. Florida Panthers - Jamieson Rees

Come on, after taking a USDP player earlier in the first, there's no way that GM Brock Otten doesn't go to the OHL here if he a chance. And we know from reading his work that he is quite high on Rees, despite some durability concerns.

26. Chicago Blackhawks - Ryan Suzuki
Chicago has not taken a center in recent drafts, so this seems to make sense on both a BPA and needs level. Suzuki is one of the draft's best passers as his vision is incredible. He just needs to mature physically and learn to be more assertive on the ice.

27. Nashville Predators - Bobby Brink
Brink is an extremely talented offensive player who is coming off a terrific year in the USHL and Internationally for the U.S. He is not huge and his combine height measurements were smaller than many had believed, but Nashville has had great success with Johnny Hockey, so why not try again?

28. New York Islanders - Jakob Pelletier
After a very solid season this year that saw the Isles lose in the Conference Finals, they find themselves a little lower in the first round. But they grab Pelletier, a smaller, bit skilled goal scorer who has been a standout with Moncton of the QMJHL.

29. Anaheim Ducks - Egor Afanasyev
Again, Roy Larsen loves his flash and dash and Afanasyev is great bang for your buck at this point in the draft. A big kid, Afanasyev is one of the more individually skilled forwards in the draft. There are concerns over his play away from the puck, but he has lots of time to work that out. Boom or bust pick here.

30. Carolina Hurricanes - Tobias Bjornfot
Never afraid to take a Swede, GM Darryl Solly opts for a defender after taking Dach earlier in the day. Bjornfot is a solid two-way defender who may not possess the upside of some others in the draft, but who has the skill set and drive to be an NHL player.

31. Florida Panthers - John Beecher
Otten goes back to the USDP to draft Beecher, a giant center who also happens to be one of the draft's best skaters. The upside isn't extremely high, but Beecher could easily develop into a solid third line center for the Panthers down the line. Otten continues to upgrade his organization's center depth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

32. Dallas Stars - Nick Robertson

Highly skilled, and a player whose ranking seems to be all over the map this year. Some love him because of his upside as an offensive player. Some don't because of his lack of size and elite speed. But Dallas opts to go for the home run pick here.

33. Vegas Golden Knights - Ryan Johnson
Johnson is most definitely one of those players that NHL scouts seem to like more than armchair ones. He’s not a sexy pick. But his two-way prowess and skating ability make sure an almost sure thing to be an NHL player. He interviewed with every single NHL team at the combine and should end up as a first round NHL pick.

34. Detroit Red Wings - Samuel Poulin

A feisty offensive player who should develop into a quality 2nd or 3rd line winger at the HFNHL level. Most scouting agencies have him as a first, so the Wings have to be happy to land him here.

35. Carolina Hurricanes - Brayden Tracey

Another late riser up draft boards after he proved at the U18’s that he’s not just someone who rides the coattails of talented linemates. There’s such a quiet effectiveness to his game in the offensive end and he gives Carolina another solid prospect.

36. Arizona Coyotes - Vladislav Kolyachonok

Maintained his status as a top prospect despite battling through adversity in Flint all season long. Was fantastic at the U18’s, helping Belarus stay in the top group. This kid is a warrior and he gives Arizona another building block on defense, which they need.

37. St. Louis Blues - Nils Hoglander
Without a first round pick, the Blues opt to take Hoglander, a wizard with the puck who also has a high compete level. There are some concerns over how good his playmaking ability is, but this is a kid with a legit shot of being a first round NHL pick. He tore apart the NHL combine physical testing.

38. Florida Panthers - Simon Holmstrom

Battled injuries all year, but is considered to be one of the most talented offensive playmakers in this age group. This is the type of high upside pick that GM Brock Otten is usually known for in the second round.

39. Edmonton Oilers - Matthew Robertson
Trying to rebuild a fractured Oilers franchise, Drew Niece selects Edmonton defender Matthew Robertson. Opinion vary on his offensive upside, but some scouting agencies still really love him and believe he can be a long time NHL defender. This is an astute pick up in the early second.

40. Colorado Avalanche - Albin Grewe

The Swedish ball of feistiness who compares himself to Brad Marchand. Grewe is someone I could see taking even earlier than this because of how hard he plays the game. So Ville Isopaa is elated to grab Grewe here, considering that he does not have a first rounder this year.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I find this year fascinating - there’s so much volatility from 3-12, then from 13 to maybe 24, then all the way to 62 and beyond. I get the feeling that year more than most, people will be saying “wow, that guy this early?”, or “I can’t believe this guy is dropping so low!”.

And that’s without the added drama of trades. Should be a wild weekend. (For both leagues...)

Solid work on this as usual, Brock. I won’t fault you for being off on a number of these, on the strength of that volatility - you still make a plausible case.

But I won’t tell you who I’m taking...

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Nice job Brock u got Byram the others I can’t say nothing ...a lot of discussions...

Last edited:

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Ill be drafting for the Oilers hes in europe so far no list though hes apparently building one of his trip. Mother wont be too happy

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Damn. When I saw it went into the 2nd round I was hoping for 62 picks so I knew who to take with my two late 2nd rounders.

Well done Brock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad