Prospect Info: 2019 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #6

Who is the Devils sixth best prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
well i mean there was the era where merrill and gelinas were top prospects

Merrill had 20 points in 31 career AHL games and Gelinas had 65 points in 149 AHL games as Devils property, including 23 goals. Again, even in the worst days of Devils prospect-dom, which I would probably posit as 2002, 2007 or 2013, a 21 year old non-goon AHL 4th liner wouldn't've been thought of as anything that could help the big club.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Speers would be pretty far down the prospect list even in the darkest days. At no time in the Devils' history was someone who was a 4th liner/AHL extra one of their top prospects.

After seeing a few more years of development sure, in hindsight we can say that. He showed more promise a few years ago to develop into a sort of Joey Anderson type of prospect.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Merrill had 20 points in 31 career AHL games and Gelinas had 65 points in 149 AHL games as Devils property, including 23 goals. Again, even in the worst days of Devils prospect-dom, which I would probably posit as 2002, 2007 or 2013, a 21 year old non-goon AHL 4th liner wouldn't've been thought of as anything that could help the big club.
context though, albany was a playoff team

bing doesn't have good support atm

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
When Speers made the team that one year, he did look pretty darn good. But also was brought up too early, and or he just never put anything together. It is a shame because he had good promise.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't care about McLeod's draft position anymore - I voted for him because he had a decent first pro year and even though he showed very little up here, circumstances were difficult when he was here. I still think he has a fair amount of skill and potential, though I could also just as easily see him flaming out entirely in Binghamton next season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I highly doubt McLeod completely flames out. He's a big kid who can skate fast, has some play making skills and is good defensively. IMO at worst he is a good 4th liner.

I considered him here, but went Bastian. And I'm not sure he is better overall then McLeod, just that he fits an important niche in the NHL.

Reactions: HBK27

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I don't care about McLeod's draft position anymore - I voted for him because he had a decent first pro year and even though he showed very little up here, circumstances were difficult when he was here. I still think he has a fair amount of skill and potential, though I could also just as easily see him flaming out entirely in Binghamton next season.

Fair enough. I don't agree with the difficult circumstances argument though. Guys like Rooney, Agostino, and Carrick stepped up to the plate and outperformed expectations. McLeod did not.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Fair enough. I don't agree with the difficult circumstances argument though. Guys like Rooney, Agostino, and Carrick stepped up to the plate and outperformed expectations. McLeod did not.

Rooney was 25, Agostino was 26, and Carrick was 24. All of them had been professionals for several years. This is McLeod's first pro season - he had just turned 21.

Put the draft out of your mind - McLeod put up 154 points in his final 121 junior games, was selected to Team Canada at the World Juniors in 2018, and had 6 goals and 25 assists in the minors in his first pro season (on a pretty poor team). None of those things are great, but none of them are half-bad either. If he was a 2nd round pick who did this, he'd be being looked at favorably here, but now everyone's down on him because he wasn't. His stint in the NHL isn't doing him any favors either. Indeed, he's not growing at the rate one would hope. There's still some time left, though.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

Ds88

Jun 21, 2009
I went with Talvite. I haven't seen anything from McLeod in a while that tells me he can be more than a 4th liner. Regardless of his draft position I'll pick guys who currently have top 9 or top 4 potential over him. Add Clarke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->