Prospect Info: 2019 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #10

Who is the Devils tenth best prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Whatever his CHL production was, I remember that he was considered to be a fairly raw prospect, that's why he lasted to the 4th round after all. I definitely don't dispute that he regressed the following season, but he was good enough for the Devils to sign, and he played a quarter season in the AHL. I don't think you can ignore that. It will be interesting to see how he starts the season in Binghamton.

Popugaev lasted until the 4th round because there were questions about his commitment to hockey. I'm sure he was on a lot of teams' do not draft list.

The Devils haven't signed Popugaev - the Binghamton Devils have. He has a 1 year AHL deal. The only reason he's fallen into the AHL is because he was basically run out of the KHL - he couldn't get consistent playing time for CSKA, a top team, so he was traded to Khabarovsk, a last place team. He couldn't get playing time there either, so finally he signed a minor league deal with Binghamton last season and did enough to get another one of those. But he did have a good development camp scrimmage game so a lot of people are excited about him again.

I don't know, I kind of think anyone at #20 is a bit of a long shot. I'm glad he's in the AHL, if he's going to learn to use his size effectively, that's the place to do it.

Obviously we're talking about very small differences, yeah. In reality there isn't a huge gap between the 15th and 25th best prospects on a team's prospect list. But 6% is 100% greater than 3%, and that's the kind of difference I'm talking about.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Whatever his CHL production was, I remember that he was considered to be a fairly raw prospect, that's why he lasted to the 4th round after all. I definitely don't dispute that he regressed the following season, but he was good enough for the Devils to sign, and he played a quarter season in the AHL. I don't think you can ignore that. It will be interesting to see how he starts the season in Binghamton.

I don't know, I kind of think anyone at #20 is a bit of a long shot. I'm glad he's in the AHL, if he's going to learn to use his size effectively, that's the place to do it.

Nikita Popugaev Scouting Report: 2017 NHL Draft #42

The problem for Pops in his draft year is that his second half of the season saw his production dry up. He’s basically gone 1.5 seasons with little production and he’s a player that only brings production, he doesn’t skate, play physical, and play great defense.

On top of that he kept forcing his way out of situations which from the outside looks like he kept blaming others for his on ice issues but that doesn’t appear true when it happens multiple times.

Hopefully he’s learned some hard lessons and is ready to put in some big effort this season and his production returns. I found it concerning he got in a slashing and yelling match with Speers before the prospects game when I believe Speers is known as a good teammate.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
RankPlayerDraft POSVote %2018 Result2017 Result
1Jack Hughes2019 #188.6Ty SmithNico Hischier
2Ty Smith2018 #1786.4Michael McLeodMichael McLeod
3Jesper Boqvist2017 #3674.8Joey AndersonSteven Santini
4MacKenzie Blackwood2015 #4288.6Jesper BoqvistJohn Quenneville
5Joey Anderson2016 #7337.0John QuennevilleBlake Speers
6Aarne Talvitie2017 #16035.1Reilly WalshYegor Rykov
7Reilly Walsh2017 #8151.4Brett SeneyT-Mackenzie Blackwood
8Michael McLeod2016 #1250.7Jeremy DaviesT-Jesper Boqvist
9Nathan Bastian2016 #4135.1Fabian ZetterlundJoey Anderson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Added: Patrick Moynihan

Remaining eligible prospects:
Xavier Bernard
Cole Brady
Graeme Clarke
Evan Cormier
Arseni Gritsyuk
Jeremy Groleau
Matthew Hellckson
Mitchell Hoelscher
Eetu Pakkila
Nikola Pasic
Nikita Popugaev
Akira Schmid
Gilles Senn
Yegor Sharangovich
Colby Sissions
Blake Speers
Tyce Thompson
Colton White
Yegor Zaitsev

where would you have bahl on this list?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If we graduate Hughes and Blackwood, my quick and dirty Jan 2020 ranking without a lot of thought would be:

1. Smith
2. Boqvist
3. Bahl
4. Anderson
5. Talvitie
6. Walsh
7. McLeod
8. Bastian
9. Thompson
10. Seney

HM: Maltsev, Misyul, Okhotyuk, Zetterlund, Merkley

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
If we graduate Hughes and Blackwood, my quick and dirty Jan 2020 ranking without a lot of thought would be:

1. Smith
2. Boqvist
3. Bahl
4. Anderson
5. Talvitie
6. Walsh
7. McLeod
8. Bastian
9. Thompson
10. Seney

HM: Maltsev, Misyul, Okhotyuk, Zetterlund, Merkley

I'd probably have Misyul and Okhotyuk over Bastian and Seney. I'd also probably have Graeme Clarke in there somewhere or close to it.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I'd probably have Misyul and Okhotyuk over Bastian and Seney. I'd also probably have Graeme Clarke in there somewhere or close to it.
Actually...

1. Ty Smith
2. Jesper Boqvist
3. Kevin Bahl
4. Joey Anderson
5. Daniil Misyul
6. Reilly Walsh
7. Aarne Talvitie
8. Michael McLeod
9. Graeme Clarke
10. Tyce Thompson/Fabian Zetterlund/Nikita Okhotyuk (can't decide)

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'd count Boqvist as graduated, and my top 10 right now would be

1) Smith
2) Misyul
3) Bahl
4) Talvitie
5) Walsh
6) McLeod