Yegor Sharangovich
Colby Sissions
Blake Speers
Tyce Thompson
Colton White
Yegor Zaitsev

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I forget how long this typically goes for, but Popugaev is not one of the Devils' 20 best prospects. There's more guys on that list of remaining prospects I would put ahead of Popugaev than behind him.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Yeah Pop has really dug himself a gigantic hole that he needs to get out of.

He has in 14 points 78 games in the two years since he was drafted.

Not entirely his fault as there were some trade/transfer issues, but regardless, he's been largely bad since the trade in his draft year. Dominating a bunch of 18 year olds in the prospect camp scrimmage doesn't change that.

Great low-risk high-reward pick for the 4th round and no reasonable person would give up on him at this point. But he needs to get his ass in gear.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I've been voting Studenic since pick #5.

I cant believe how lowly-regarded this board holds him, and I genuinely believe most have probably never seen him play.

Reactions: JK3

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I cant believe how lowly-regarded this board holds him, and I genuinely believe most have probably never seen him play.

I have Studenic at 10 personally (without MacBlack being ranked), but it's no slight on him and more so indicative of the strength of our pool in general

1) Hughes
2) Smith
3) Boqvist
4) Anderson
5) Miysul
6) McLeod
7) Talvitie
8) Walsh
9) Okhotyuk
10) Studenic

is my top 10

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

He's my next pick after this. I like him, but I don't think he has the ceiling some others do.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I forget how long this typically goes for, but Popugaev is not one of the Devils' 20 best prospects. There's more guys on that list of remaining prospects I would put ahead of Popugaev than behind him.

I think when a player has almost freakish size it can take a little longer for them to put it together. There's a lot of guys I would put in front of Popugaev, but around #20 feels right for him.

Yeah Pop has really dug himself a gigantic hole that he needs to get out of.

He has in 14 points 78 games in the two years since he was drafted.

Not entirely his fault as there were some trade/transfer issues, but regardless, he's been largely bad since the trade in his draft year. Dominating a bunch of 18 year olds in the prospect camp scrimmage doesn't change that.

Great low-risk high-reward pick for the 4th round and no reasonable person would give up on him at this point. But he needs to get his ass in gear.

Maybe I'm imagining this, but I thought I read somewhere that the coaching staff in Binghamton was encouraged with the progress he made at the end of the season. It's possible we could be overrating him because of the prospect camp, I agree that it doesn't mean much.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think when a player has almost freakish size it can take a little longer for them to put it together. There's a lot of guys I would put in front of Popugaev, but around #20 feels right for him.

Popugaev walked into the WHL as a 17 year old and immediately posted 16 goals and 31 assists in 70 games. He followed that up with 69 points in 71 games the next season. This isn't someone the Devils drafted because he flashed some talent - they drafted him because he had lots and lots of demonstrated talent. You can find 1st round picks with similar or worse WHL numbers. Since the Devils drafted him, he has improved not at all or perhaps even regressed - a player who put up those kinds of numbers in his draft season would be expected to be better than a 13th forward on a KHL team 2 years later, even if you leave aside the idea that generally 18 year old players improve into being better by their 20th birthday.

Maybe I'm imagining this, but I thought I read somewhere that the coaching staff in Binghamton was encouraged with the progress he made at the end of the season. It's possible we could be overrating him because of the prospect camp, I agree that it doesn't mean much.

Perhaps. But he has such a long way to go at this point. A lot of the guys who he could skate circles around talent wise have caught up to that talent. I'd love to see a breakout season from him, but I'm not counting on it. And I'd bet on a lot of the other guys in the organization to do so over him.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Popugaev walked into the WHL as a 17 year old and immediately posted 16 goals and 31 assists in 70 games. He followed that up with 69 points in 71 games the next season. This isn't someone the Devils drafted because he flashed some talent - they drafted him because he had lots and lots of demonstrated talent. You can find 1st round picks with similar or worse WHL numbers. Since the Devils drafted him, he has improved not at all or perhaps even regressed - a player who put up those kinds of numbers in his draft season would be expected to be better than a 13th forward on a KHL team 2 years later, even if you leave aside the idea that generally 18 year old players improve into being better by their 20th birthday.

Whatever his CHL production was, I remember that he was considered to be a fairly raw prospect, that's why he lasted to the 4th round after all. I definitely don't dispute that he regressed the following season, but he was good enough for the Devils to sign, and he played a quarter season in the AHL. I don't think you can ignore that. It will be interesting to see how he starts the season in Binghamton.

Perhaps. But he has such a long way to go at this point. A lot of the guys who he could skate circles around talent wise have caught up to that talent. I'd love to see a breakout season from him, but I'm not counting on it. And I'd bet on a lot of the other guys in the organization to do so over him.
I don't know, I kind of think anyone at #20 is a bit of a long shot. I'm glad he's in the AHL, if he's going to learn to use his size effectively, that's the place to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->