Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luke Witkowski

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
What would you answer when asked by a non-hockey fan: Who's the Lightning's best player? I mean, right now because I have tickets. Who should I watch out for?

Let's do that and go down the list.
Rules: None. The definition of "best" is entirely up to you.
Leave a post to let the world know why your pick is superior to all other picks.

#1 NIKITA KUCHEROV
71.4% of votes

jK8NlLW.png

#2 VICTOR HEDMAN
66.7% of votes

hUmY2o2.jpg

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I went with Stamkos. After several injuries he overcame the pressure to perform and reinvented himself. After a slow start he started to put up elite numbers while carrying his own line consisting of linemates Palat/Miller and Gourde while Kuch and Point wreaked havoc with Johnson. He finished 4th in goals league-wide (1st on the team), 9th in points (2nd on the team behind Kuch), 25th in assists (2nd on the team behind Kuch), 2nd in PPG (2nd on the team behind Point) and 2nd in PPP (2nd on the team behind Kuch). He's had the 2nd highest shot total on the Lightning (behind Kuch) and the 2nd highest shooting percentage (behind Point). He and Cirelli took most of the teams faceoffs (900+ each) and Stamkos finished 2nd in FOW% (behind Gourde).

He was a non-factor in the playoffs but the entire team was so whatever.

TL;DR: Voted Stamkos for "best comeback".

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I got to go Brayden Point on this one best two way center on the teamand he was only like 5 points behind stamkos

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm taking bets that Macho is gonna whoop some candy ass on anyone who picks a name other than Point. Bets starting at 4:1
I'd understand Vasi, although generally I think Vasi is a bit overrated. When hes on hes the best goalie on the planet, but he doesn't have the consistency yet.

Reactions: NatoGhost

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'd understand Vasi, although generally I think Vasi is a bit overrated. When hes on hes the best goalie on the planet, but he doesn't have the consistency yet.

I actually feel the same. Vasy shows brilliant flashes here and there and wins us a lot of games like any top 5 player on the team. But Point makes every player he's with on offense better right NOW and has done it since day 1 -right down to being one of the few players who could play well with the streaky Filppula.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Point is the right option. Vasy #4 and then Stamkos. That's how the top 5 will play out. Kind of gets trickier from there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's really close between Stamkos and Point for me. I think, over all, Point has probably overtaken Stamkos as a player now, even with Stamkos's big year. That said, we didn't really use Point in a defensive role last year, at all, and that's really where he has an advantage over Stamkos, so Stamkos probably had the better season. But Point is likely the more important player, as of now, even if we didn't fully utilize his 200 foot game last year (removed him from the PK; Johnson had the bigger defensive role on their line).

I'll hold off on this one for a while.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'd take McDonagh at #6 as well, but it's the first spot where you could argue someone else.

1-5 are no questions may as well to skip directly to #6 level.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Interesting, I think last season was his best in years.
It was his best season in years he just rode 2nd fiddle to Kucherov. I think Stammer is a better player than Point though. Point is in his peak years and Stammer is at the second half of his prime years. Stamkos had less ice time and scores less points. Offensive point share for Stamkos is 10.1% and Point's is at 9.1%. I would say a non-peak Stamkos is still better than a peak Point. Stamkos also had more even strength and short-handed goals. Stamkos also drew 3% higher on the faceoff circle with 53%. I do not think there is any case to be made at Point being better than Stamkos.
2018-19 Tampa Bay Lightning Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It was his best season in years he just rode 2nd fiddle to Kucherov. I think Stammer is a better player than Point though. Point is in his peak years and Stammer is at the second half of his prime years. Stamkos had less ice time and scores less points. Offensive point share for Stamkos is 10.1% and Point's is at 9.1%. I would say a non-peak Stamkos is still better than a peak Point. Stamkos also had more even strength and short-handed goals. Stamkos also drew 3% higher on the faceoff circle with 53%. I do not think there is any case to be made at Point being better than Stamkos.
2018-19 Tampa Bay Lightning Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com
We don't know what a peak Point is yet. Could this season be the best Point will ever have? Sure. But we also thought Kucherov had his peak in 2015. And then in 2016. And every year since. Point is just a bigger force on both ends of the ice than Stamkos. Just because we didn't really use him in a defensive position this season doesn't change the fact that he's the best defensive forward on our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad