2019 HF Post of the Month/Year Candidates

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
February 4, 2019, talking about how the St. Louis Blues will do in the upcoming week:

they will probably go 0-3 this week. dont get excited about this team. as soon as you do they will crap out a 7-1 loss.

The Blues proceed to go 3-0, winning games over Florida, Tampa Bay, and Nashville [and then Nashville on Sunday for good measure]. When asked about that 0-3 call:

0-3 or 3-0, does not matter since they played 4 games. sample size was wrong.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
February 4, 2019, talking about how the St. Louis Blues will do in the upcoming week:

The Blues proceed to go 3-0, winning games over Florida, Tampa Bay, and Nashville [and then Nashville on Sunday for good measure]. When asked about that 0-3 call:

So now you are wanting people to dig around for some of the stupidest posts we can find on hfboards.mandatory.com for this thread that was originally about posts of the month and year which was assumed to be beats or funniest posts of the month or year but now after this example isn't limited to that at all?

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So now you are wanting people to dig around for some of the stupidest posts we can find on hfboards.mandatory.com for this thread that was originally about posts of the month and year which was assumed to be beats or funniest posts of the month or year but now after this example isn't limited to that at all?
You're taking this far too seriously. I suggest getting outside this weekend, getting a little sunshine, maybe even exploring the world a little.

Or, spend it expressing more outrage about this thread. Whatever makes you happy.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
You're taking this far too seriously. I suggest getting outside this weekend, getting a little sunshine, maybe even exploring the world a little.

Or, spend it expressing more outrage about this thread. Whatever makes you happy.
I'm sorry if any of the posts I have made in effort to help your thread actually make some sense and become a successful thread that others might want to contribute to is being perceived by you as me being "outraged" by you and your thread idea that I'm only trying to assist with my posts in your thread to make your thread a better thread but I'm just trying to help because it literally seems like your thread is hopeless, you as a OP are helpless in designing and maintaining it and really when it comes down to it I think it's probably best that you delete it and start over literally from the "ground" upwards by laying a more solid "foundation" in the OP that will allow the thread to thrive rather than literally "sputter" as it's first iteration (this thread) has.

Just my $0.02 cents as they say.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Well since it looks like @Mud the ACAS is literally "ghosting" his own thread and refusing to engage his audience on refining what would constitute an acceptable nomination for the nominations he is considering to be quality nominations for a post of a month nomination thread or post of the year nomination thread I guess I will nominate another post for consideration:

This one comes from @Swedish Puck Mafia which i would categorize as "an extremely relevant and useful post category post for the month of February" as it pertains to a thread by @Jiminy Cricket about jollypoppers from TGIF Friday's Restaurant in the freezer section. The post was relevant, insightful, actionable, and IRL successful in its recommendation on how to maximize consumption of this freezer treat:

Why are they showing it with the jalapeno over the cheese?

Doesn't everyone eat them with the jalapeno beneath the cheese?

One bite with the jalapeno on top, and all the cheese gushes out.

Thanks

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Too bad this isn’t best post of all-time cause @De Montreal story of how he met Kris Letang is the best.

It's very hard to explain to my family and relatives how much HFBoards mean to me. I do have a bit obsession about this community, as prove this post - that I'm writing on a Christmas night, after hours of reading different post about hockey and whatnot.

I have been lurking here for a decade now. I remember coming here after every big event, and not only related to sports, from 9/11 to more joyful events and what not. I discovered my favourite band through the entertainment board - a band, The National, I have now seen 7 different times in three different countries. I've mot some people IRL that I first met here, online, that have become close friends, even. I almost lost a job because of HFboards - and even back, I kept going back. Because I have such a strong bond with this community, it's bigger than me.

So this is why I decided to take a time to share one of my most personnal stories, that I have mostly only told to my first wife and my parents because of how unbelievable it seems - and because honestly, no one except real hockey nerds will truly appreciate.

So here it goes : let's go back to December 23th, in the year of 2004.

I just went undrafted in the 2003 draft. This is where I first heard the name of Kris Letang - a person I couldnt believe would save my life, a few months later.

I went back to my hometown Val D'Or, to meet with my girlfriend which I would end up marry for Christmas. I was driving through one of those exceptionnal snowstorm you would end up telling your kids about. I just had a freak injury, working in the shop, so I was driving my Toyota Camry with a arm in a plaster.

It was a 8 hours road, through snow and hell, with only one functional arm! This was obviously very dangerous, but I was in a hard place in my life and I just really wanted to be with my girlfriend. So I drove until I got lost - and snowed in. I remember it being around 9 pm, only, and thinking it was a matter of time before another car would take the same winding road as me and help me out.

Keep in mind this was early 2000. I didnt even had one of those bad cellphone with bad reception. I was just sitting there, hoping for glowing lights to appear behind me. My mind was running wild - I kept thinking about my future, the dream I had to play in the NHL was all but lost. Between the pratices, my bad grad at school, a girlfriend I would neglect... I got lost among my dream.

Then the snow got thickier, thickier, and I had to get out every hour or so to make sure my Camry wouldnt get snowed-in. I had a fair amount of gaz left, but I thought... what if?

What if no one pass by this road? What if I have to sleep here? Would I get frozen to death? Probably not, but I was starting to get scared. I couldnt start to walk anyway, because I was seriously lost, and I might have been miles away from the closest home.

So I did what I had to do : I slept there. I took all the clothes I had in my luggage, made myself a nice bed, and prayed I wouldnt get frozen to death, and thinking my girlfriend would be worried sick.

Just like in a horror movie, I was waken up by a loud banging on my window - giving me the scare of my life. And there was a young dude, besides his pickup. I checked time, it was a little bit past 6 a.m.

Kris Letang was there, on his route from Montréal to Val D'or, to meet players he met at a training camp. It's the team that drafted him, and for which he'd ended up playing.

My car was out of gaz - but I was so relieved to finally see someone. Kris picked me up, and we would do the road to the closest gaz station. Even at the times, he was already extremely beautiful, with his long dark hair and his dreamy eyes. I remember thinking how nice he smelled, especially for someone who just drove a long night roadtrip.

We discussed the previous draft, in which we were both, in the stands, hoping to hear our name get called. And then, he told me : '' Dont worry. Life will find a way to make you happy, just like I found you. ''

He was so confident. You could tell by the time he was a future champion. I was a bit shy, to tell the truth. But he made me feel so comfortable. He's an easy talker, he had well thought opinions on everything. Keep in my mind, we were just entering the Irak invasion fiasco, he was really informed about it. I was so enlighted. But one thing that made me doubt, is when I asked him about his future. He told me : I will make the NHL. I will play there. And I will become the first white player to play in this league.

I told him there was already plenty of white players in the league, which is still mostly played only by caucasian players. He didnt seemed to mind. And at this point, neither did I. It was just one of those perfect moment.

On the road back, I asked him to sign my plaster, which he did.

But he didnt only signed his name, after dropping me by.

He told me : ''For Kev. Just watch me, in a few years I will be known as the Penguin to play in the NHL. Kris''

I told him: there's a much better chance of that to happen, if you mean Penguin the team, and not the animal.

And then he winked, and told me ''Sometimes, Life finds a way''

And he drove away.
Makes me tear up every time.

Last edited:

member 157595

Too bad this isn’t best post of all-time cause de Montreal’s story of how he met Kris Letang is the best.

It's very hard to explain to my family and relatives how much HFBoards mean to me. I do have a bit obsession about this community, as prove this post - that I'm writing on a Christmas night, after hours of reading different post about hockey and whatnot.

I have been lurking here for a decade now. I remember coming here after every big event, and not only related to sports, from 9/11 to more joyful events and what not. I discovered my favourite band through the entertainment board - a band, The National, I have now seen 7 different times in three different countries. I've mot some people IRL that I first met here, online, that have become close friends, even. I almost lost a job because of HFboards - and even back, I kept going back. Because I have such a strong bond with this community, it's bigger than me.

So this is why I decided to take a time to share one of my most personnal stories, that I have mostly only told to my first wife and my parents because of how unbelievable it seems - and because honestly, no one except real hockey nerds will truly appreciate.

So here it goes : let's go back to December 23th, in the year of 2004.

I just went undrafted in the 2003 draft. This is where I first heard the name of Kris Letang - a person I couldnt believe would save my life, a few months later.

I went back to my hometown Val D'Or, to meet with my girlfriend which I would end up marry for Christmas. I was driving through one of those exceptionnal snowstorm you would end up telling your kids about. I just had a freak injury, working in the shop, so I was driving my Toyota Camry with a arm in a plaster.

It was a 8 hours road, through snow and hell, with only one functional arm! This was obviously very dangerous, but I was in a hard place in my life and I just really wanted to be with my girlfriend. So I drove until I got lost - and snowed in. I remember it being around 9 pm, only, and thinking it was a matter of time before another car would take the same winding road as me and help me out.

Keep in mind this was early 2000. I didnt even had one of those bad cellphone with bad reception. I was just sitting there, hoping for glowing lights to appear behind me. My mind was running wild - I kept thinking about my future, the dream I had to play in the NHL was all but lost. Between the pratices, my bad grad at school, a girlfriend I would neglect... I got lost among my dream.

Then the snow got thickier, thickier, and I had to get out every hour or so to make sure my Camry wouldnt get snowed-in. I had a fair amount of gaz left, but I thought... what if?

What if no one pass by this road? What if I have to sleep here? Would I get frozen to death? Probably not, but I was starting to get scared. I couldnt start to walk anyway, because I was seriously lost, and I might have been miles away from the closest home.

So I did what I had to do : I slept there. I took all the clothes I had in my luggage, made myself a nice bed, and prayed I wouldnt get frozen to death, and thinking my girlfriend would be worried sick.

Just like in a horror movie, I was waken up by a loud banging on my window - giving me the scare of my life. And there was a young dude, besides his pickup. I checked time, it was a little bit past 6 a.m.

Kris Letang was there, on his route from Montréal to Val D'or, to meet players he met at a training camp. It's the team that drafted him, and for which he'd ended up playing.

My car was out of gaz - but I was so relieved to finally see someone. Kris picked me up, and we would do the road to the closest gaz station. Even at the times, he was already extremely beautiful, with his long dark hair and his dreamy eyes. I remember thinking how nice he smelled, especially for someone who just drove a long night roadtrip.

We discussed the previous draft, in which we were both, in the stands, hoping to hear our name get called. And then, he told me : '' Dont worry. Life will find a way to make you happy, just like I found you. ''

He was so confident. You could tell by the time he was a future champion. I was a bit shy, to tell the truth. But he made me feel so comfortable. He's an easy talker, he had well thought opinions on everything. Keep in my mind, we were just entering the Irak invasion fiasco, he was really informed about it. I was so enlighted. But one thing that made me doubt, is when I asked him about his future. He told me : I will make the NHL. I will play there. And I will become the first white player to play in this league.

I told him there was already plenty of white players in the league, which is still mostly played only by caucasian players. He didnt seemed to mind. And at this point, neither did I. It was just one of those perfect moment.

On the road back, I asked him to sign my plaster, which he did.

But he didnt only signed his name, after dropping me by.

He told me : ''For Kev. Just watch me, in a few years I will be known as the Penguin to play in the NHL. Kris''

I told him: there's a much better chance of that to happen, if you mean Penguin the team, and not the animal.

And then he winked, and told me ''Sometimes, Life finds a way''

And he drove away.
Makes me tear up every time.

dude at least tag the man @De Montreal

Reactions: De Montreal
Sep 19, 2008
The case against Rosen:
tl;dr at the top and bottom: tl;dr Josh Rosen was a bottom 5 QB last year overall, and with a clean pocket. Coaching changes last year did not improve his play. Our roster and cap situation makes us unable to compete until after the 2020 season, and only then we will have a very small window in which our current franchise players decline, and before Rosen's huge cap hit if he does perform well.
To properly evaluate this situation, I think we need to look at four things:
1) The status of the current talent on the roster
2) The status of the cap
3) The rating of Josh Rosen as a player
4) History of bad 1st round Rookie QB’s in the past two decades
Lets start with:
1) The status of the current talent on the roster:
Lets run a quick age-check on the best players on our roster, 4 years from now:
Trent Williams, 34 - According to NFL offensive tackles and the age-wall, most tackles begin to decline at age 32. Trent will be two years beyond that barrier at that point in time.
Morgan Moses, 32 - See above
Brandon Scherff, 31
Jordan Reed, 32 - Relies mostly on athleticism. Injury concerns won't get better with age
Josh Norman, 35 - Has already begun to decline
Ryan Kerrigan, 34 - According to Aging Curve for NFL Defensive Players: DL, LB & DB, the decline starts at ~30/31. Kerrigan is about to hit that decline.
We have a roster that is aging quickly, and our best players will be hitting their decline in the next 1-4 years, if not already.
2) The status of the cap:
Our cap situation is bad. Alex Smith hits for $20 mil in 2019, $21 mil in 2020. Our best QB is out for this season, possibly for the rest of his career. If he does come back, we don’t know what he’ll look like at that age, and given his injury. We cannot compete when we are sinking $20 mil+ into effectively dead money each of the next two years. In summation: The Redskins have a $29 million dead cap hit for someone who won’t step foot on the field in 2019, and possibly not for 2020 as well.
3) The rating of Josh Rosen as a player: Based on what Josh Rosen showed last year, he is not a starting NFL Quarterback. People will make excuses for Rosen because of his bad O-Line. Yes, it was atrocious, but Rosen didn’t take advantage when he did have time to throw.
Here are some statistics to back that claim up, showing Rosen’s performance in a clean pocket vs showing the average NFL QB in a clean pocket: Rosen had an adjusted completion% of 69.9%. The NFL average was 78.1%. Rosen had 6.5 Y/A. The NFL average was 7.8. Rosen’s TD % was 3.7%, the NFL average was 5.1%. His INT % was 3.0, the NFL average was 1.8%. His passer rating was 80.9, the NFL average was 103.1. By every measurable statistic, he was significantly worse than an average NFL QB, while not under pressure - something that was supposed to be his strength coming out of college. For someone supposed to be the most 'pro ready' coming out of last years draft, he still has a lot of polishing left.
The Redskins won games early last year because we could run, take care of the ball, and play good defense. Rosen turns the ball over at a high rate, is bad under pressure, was not good, even in a clean pocket last year.
Next, while his coaches did him no favors, the change from Mike McCoy to Byron Leftwich midseason did not result in an increase Rosen's performance. McCoy was fired 7 games into the season and replaced with Leftwhich, who Bruce Arians himself called 'A rising star' (Bruce Arians: Bucs OC Byron Leftwich is a 'rising star'). There were 9 games remaining in the season with an OC vouched for by Arians, in which Rosen wasn't any better.
Lastly, looking at the other Rookie QB's that were average to below average this year (Darnold, Allen), can you tell me that either of them had a better supporting cast?
David Johnson + Larry Fitz/Christian Kirk
Isaiah Crowell + Robby Anderson/Quincy Enuwa
The corpse of LeSean McCoy + Kelvin Benjamin/Zay Jones
Yes, he had a bad O-Line. But when you take a look at his stats when he had a clean pocket, he was still in the bottom-5 of QB’s last year. Coaching changes didn't impact his play, and he had a better supporting cast than the other rookies who struggled last year. Nothing he showed last year gave any indication he should be a starting NFL QB.
4) History of bad Rookie QB’s:
Looking at QB’s who were drafted in the first round, had bad rookie seasons, then went on to succeed in the past 20 years:
Peyton Manning
Jared Goff (Missed in my other posts, as others have pointed out)
Looking at QB’s who were drafted in the first round, had bad rookie seasons, then went on to not succeed in the past 20 years:
Paxton Lynch
Jameis Winston
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
EJ Manuel
Brandon Weeden
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
JaMarcus Russell
Brady Quinn
Matt Leinart
JP Losman
Kyle Boller
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Tim Couch
Akili Smith
tl;dr Josh Rosen was a bottom 5 QB last year overall, and with a clean pocket. Coaching changes last year did not improve his play. Our roster and cap situation makes us unable to compete until after the 2020 season, and only then we will have a very small window in which our current franchise players decline, and before Rosen's huge cap hit if he does perform well.
For years, the Redskins have been known for making asinine trades and signings that mortgage our future for the chance at immediate, short-term success. This would just be another chapter in that story.

Mike Mills

Apr 27, 2019
The best post of 2018

The political discussion forum on this site has been removed. It will be not be resurrected. After months of discussion with the admin staff it was unanimously decided it was consuming an inordinate amount of our time as well as our moderators time. They didn't sign up to deal with problems that aren't related to the mission of this site. It has poisoned relationships and driven a wedge between users. Political discussion will no longer be permitted unless it is directly related to hockey (eg Russia banned from Olympics, Exchange rate hurting Canadian teams).

HEY BRO IM JUST DOING MY JOB

Reactions: Roman Fell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->