2019 HF Post of the Month/Year Candidates

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I've thought about this for a while, and some quality contributions have prompted me to kick it off - and since we don't have a Hall of Fame for threads [and sadly haven't for years], this may be as close as we can get. Plus, occasionally someone will say something is a "post of the year" ... but is it really? Well, it's time to find out once and for all.

I'm starting a list of the best [or worst ... but probably best] posts made at HFBoards this year. If you think someone has made a spectacular post [where "spectacular" is in the eye of the person reading it], quote it here. If I think it's worthy, I'll add it to the list. We may have monthly winners, we may not. We'll see how this goes.

At year's end, I'll pull the best of the best together and we'll come up with some way to decide on what the "Post of the Year" is here. The winner will get ... well, probably nothing other than bragging rights, but maybe TPTB will kick in something nice like a personalized smiley, or a personalized title, or a retro HF logo signed by an appropriately retro member of TPTB, or maybe just a handful of mud to the face and a kick in the head.

Rules
1. Eligible posts must be made between 12:00am 1/1/2019 and 11:59pm 12/31/2019.
2. Posts must conform to HF rules and regulations; posts deleted by HF moderators are automatically invalid.
3. Posts must be visible at the time any award is considered; i.e. if the post has been deleted by the user, it's invalid.
4. Posts that are similarly edited so as to lose the context that made them PotM / PotY worthy will also be declared invalid.
5. Posts made in any forums not visible to the general user are not eligible for consideration.
6. Posts will be judged based on both content and context; those considered "truly exceptional" in value will be added to the list for future consideration.
7. Bribes for PotM / PotY consideration are not encouraged, but also not discouraged. [I prefer payment in Ski soda, glass bottles only; cash will also work, U.S. currency only.]
8. These rules may be added or amended as needed to conform to HF rules and regulations and whatever keeps people honest and fair. Also, they may be amended if I'm told to do so by TPTB.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
PotM contenders

(1) @Individual 1 for a devastating takedown of "Laine reminds me of Mario Lemieux."

Laine reminds me of Mario Lemieux

Well I guess if you think all Mario was, was a big bodied goal scorer.

In Lemieux's first 3 seasons his stats were
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Lemieux had 28, 58, and 36 more points than his next closest teammate. Laine has had 18, 21, and currently 31 less points than Blake Wheeler.
In his 2nd season Lemieux scored the most power play points ever in a season with 17 goals and 48 assists beating the 55 points Gretzky had in 81-82.
In his first 3 season Lemieux's power play totals were 47 goals and 88 assists.
His even strength totals were 98 goals and 115 assists.
Lemieux was 34th, 12th, and 8th(missed 17 games likely finishes 2nd) in shots on goal.

Lemieux clearly controlled the power play with nearly 2 assists per goal he scored on it, Laine has 40 goals and 19 assists on the power play he is used for his shot on the power play.

Lemieux despite having really poor teammates still manages to have more assists than goals at even strength, Laine has 65 even strength goals and 46 assists.

Despite creating lots of goals Lemieux has ranked higher amongst his peers in shots than Laine who has ranked 55th, 30th, and 17th.

Pittsburgh placed 2nd last, 15th(21 teams), and 14th while Winnipeg has placed 20th, 2nd, and currently 4th in the standings.

Saying Laine reminds you of Mario leaves out the fact that Lemieux was controlling and driving his teams offense, it ignores the fact that he had incredible passing, vision, and hockey iq, and ignores the fact Lemieux was put onto a horrible team.

Last edited:

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
I've thought about this for a while, and some quality contributions have prompted me to kick it off - and since we don't have a Hall of Fame for threads [and sadly haven't for years], this may be as close as we can get. Plus, occasionally someone will say something is a "post of the year" ... but is it really? Well, it's time to find out once and for all.

I'm starting a list of the best [or worst ... but probably best] posts made at HFBoards this year. If you think someone has made a spectacular post [where "spectacular" is in the eye of the person reading it], quote it here. If I think it's worthy, I'll add it to the list. We may have monthly winners, we may not. We'll see how this goes.

At year's end, I'll pull the best of the best together and we'll come up with some way to decide on what the "Post of the Year" is here. The winner will get ... well, probably nothing other than bragging rights, but maybe TPTB will kick in something nice like a personalized smiley, or a personalized title, or a retro HF logo signed by an appropriately retro member of TPTB, or maybe just a handful of mud to the face and a kick in the head.

Rules
1. Eligible posts must be made between 12:00am 1/1/2019 and 11:59pm 12/31/2019.
2. Posts must conform to HF rules and regulations; posts deleted by HF moderators are automatically invalid.
3. Posts must be visible at the time any award is considered; i.e. if the post has been deleted by the user, it's invalid.
4. Posts that are similarly edited so as to lose the context that made them PotM / PotY worthy will also be declared invalid.
5. Posts made in any forums not visible to the general user are not eligible for consideration.
6. Posts will be judged based on both content and context; those considered "truly exceptional" in value will be added to the list for future consideration.
7. Bribes for PotM / PotY consideration are not encouraged, but also not discouraged. [I prefer payment in Ski soda, glass bottles only; cash will also work, U.S. currency only.]
8. These rules may be added or amended as needed to conform to HF rules and regulations and whatever keeps people honest and fair. Also, they may be amended if I'm told to do so by TPTB.

This post following the post i am making right now, here, benefited me several times for $100s of dollars since it was posted originally. Consider this nominated.

I've been working on lottery strategy for a few years now, and I'd like to share some tips with you. I've used these tips to win 7 grand prizes for a total of $350,000. These are tips for ball games and scratch-offs. Be confident: Buying tickets with confidence helps create good Karma and gives you a better chance of winning. A bad attitude is a recipe for disaster. Ride the hot streaks: When you're winning, that means luck is on your side. Keep the hot streak going and buy more tickets than usual. Pray: Divine intervention never hurts. I always say a quick prayer before buying and scratching my tickets. Play your numbers: Find your numbers and stick with them. This could be a birthday, address, etc. Just make them YOUR numbers. Do not change them if you go on a losing streak. If you do, they could come up next and you will be sorry. Play your game: Find a scratch-off game you like and stick with it. If you like crosswords, play the crossword game. If you like sports, play a sports game. Just like with ball games, do not change your game if you go on a losing streak. The very next ticket could be the winner. Do not use random numbers: I see some people buying lottery tickets with computer generated numbers. This is just gambling. Do not do this. Raise the stakes: High stakes games have the biggest jackpots. If you want a bigger prize, buy a more expensive lottery ticket. Play, play, play: This one is pretty simple. You can't win if you don't play. At the same time, don't force it, or you won't have much success. So there u have it Folk`s! Hope this Help`s! Pos`t any Tip`s u may have, `n` Let me know How these Tip`s work out for u!!!

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I don't know if it's consideration-worthy yet, but I see the makings of a magical thread there based on what kind of feedback gets posted based on that advice.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Probably not Post of the Year quality, but a solid line from @ottawa that I have a feeling may hang for a while:

Inspired by illpucks thread on Kane where it is consensus that Kane will never be the best of his generation. However Malkin is interesting because he is on the level of Crosby and OV and is part of the "Big 3" because, he has the accolades, the skill, the performances of 87/8, the most dominant playoff run in recent memory, and many can make the argument that at his best, he is better than 87/8.

The sad thing about Malkin's career is that it has been hampered by injuries, so there aren't more "dominant" seasons that stand out like Crosby and OV, however he did just score 98 points last season, playing at an MVP level, and would have topped 100 points had he played all 82 games.

With that being said, what is missing for Malkin to make him #1 of the Big 3?
A Canadian birth certificate

Reactions: brian_griffin

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
I don't know if it's consideration-worthy yet, but I see the makings of a magical thread there based on what kind of feedback gets posted based on that advice.

I will never understand how that post isnt "consideration worthy" when you literally have not provided a single example of what is, and yet somehow arbitrarily without any logical or rational process put yourself in charge of deeming what is or what is not worthy of consideration even though I doubt anyone has even ever heard of you.

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
NEWSFLASH: Mobile Phone`s is Absolute ****in`g Gahbage

Ever heard of an PC?

But The Media Wan`t`s u Glew`d 2 You`re Mobeyele Fone Downloadin`g Appetizer`s `n` Drainin`g Battery.

Well Folk`s I`m still Tappin`g away on my 1999 PERSONAL COMPUTER.

But Nerd`s is literally Usin`g there Fone`s for everythin`g even tho it is HARDER 2 NAVIGATE `n` TYPE.

So Ask me again Why we Aren`t usin`g Computer`s Anymore?

Give me an MOUSE `n` KEYBOARD any day.

Gosh Bless,
Jame`s

Sent from my iPhone

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I will never understand how that post isnt "consideration worthy" when you literally have not provided a single example of what is, and yet somehow arbitrarily without any logical or rational process put yourself in charge of deeming what is or what is not worthy of consideration even though I doubt anyone has even ever heard of you.
I've been around for years. There's even a rumor that if you hold a conch shell to your ear at the right angle when Neptune is in opposition to Scorpio, you can make out the sounds of thousands of posters of HF past chanting my name.

But you have to hold that shell really close to your ear. Really close.

Urblock

Mar 18, 2018
I've been around for years. There's even a rumor that if you hold a conch shell to your ear at the right angle when Neptune is in opposition to Scorpio, you can make out the sounds of thousands of posters of HF past chanting my name.

But you have to hold that shell really close to your ear. Really close.
****ing nerd

Sep 19, 2008
The best post of 2018

The political discussion forum on this site has been removed. It will be not be resurrected. After months of discussion with the admin staff it was unanimously decided it was consuming an inordinate amount of our time as well as our moderators time. They didn't sign up to deal with problems that aren't related to the mission of this site. It has poisoned relationships and driven a wedge between users. Political discussion will no longer be permitted unless it is directly related to hockey (eg Russia banned from Olympics, Exchange rate hurting Canadian teams).

Reactions: Irish Blues

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
A post is "consideration worthy" if it's exceptionally witty or informative. I don't have an extensive list of these examples [though I'll mention a couple below that stand out from past memory]. Is it in my view? Ultimately, yeah - I made this thread, I'll decide on what gets through - but input from others gets factored in. If I think something isn't worthy but there's an outpouring of support for it, it gets in.

Things that might qualify? Well, it could be comments that are just truly funny and totally offbeat:
My cousin once went clubbing with Chris Higgins.
Awesome! How many baby seals did they get?

It could be something funny that ties back to then-current events:
I thought we had a moderator to take care of stuff like this?
They Blues are showing zero effort and don't care tonight, so I'm following their example.

Or it can be exceptionally informative, such as an explanation of how "get rid of revenue sharing, teams that can't support themselves should relocate or get contracts" leads to a constant circle of relocation that leads to once stable teams in "traditional" hockey markets having to leave or fold, which KevFu brilliantly illustrated late last year.

Or, it could be something like the post that broke the Christina Woloski story many years ago. That would have been instantly "Post of the Year" worthy. [Probably would have won that year, too.]

In short, it's like a great movie or a hot girl or a tiger-charming narwahl: I can't describe what it's supposed to look like, but I'll let you know when I find it.

ADD: While I don't know that this gets there, "consideration worthy" posts could also include great comebacks [which still fall within HF rules] such as this:

lol actually what you are referring to is the English language grammar standards, not my own. I didn't come up with this language, but thanks for the credit.
Well at least you've found some use for that English degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gee Wally

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
A post is "consideration worthy" if it's exceptionally witty or informative. I don't have an extensive list of these examples [though I'll mention a couple below that stand out from past memory]. Is it in my view? Ultimately, yeah - I made this thread, I'll decide on what gets through - but input from others gets factored in. If I think something isn't worthy but there's an outpouring of support for it, it gets in.

Things that might qualify? Well, it could be comments that are just truly funny and totally offbeat:

Or it can be exceptionally informative, such as an explanation of how "get rid of revenue sharing, teams that can't support themselves should relocate or get contracts" leads to a constant circle of relocation that leads to once stable teams in "traditional" hockey markets having to leave or fold, which KevFu brilliantly illustrated late last year.

Or, it could be something like the post that broke the Christina Woloski story many years ago. That would have been instantly "Post of the Year" worthy. [Probably would have won that year, too.]

In short, it's like a great movie or a hot girl or a tiger-charming narwahl: I can't describe what it's supposed to look like, but I'll let you know when I find it.

ADD: While I don't know that this gets there, "consideration worthy" posts could also include great comebacks [which still fall within HF rules] such as this:

I will only speak for myselve but these seem like very boring posts that you have provided as examples and are probably duplicated and triplicated into infinity in many of the threads in many of the forums on a daily basis so I am failing to understand and will probably never understand how your examples here have clarified literally anything of what I was inquiring about. I think that maybe perhaps you should recuse yourselve from being the arbitrary judge of monthly/yearly posts of the month/year due to the lack of skill you have displayed here in carrying out that role, or maybe just delete this thread?

Urblock

Mar 18, 2018

Those are some great examples, but maybe pick funny/memorable posts instead.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I will only speak for myselve but these seem like very boring posts that you have provided as examples and are probably duplicated and triplicated into infinity in many of the threads in many of the forums on a daily basis so I am failing to understand and will probably never understand how your examples here have clarified literally anything of what I was inquiring about. I think that maybe perhaps you should recuse yourselve from being the arbitrary judge of monthly/yearly posts of the month/year due to the lack of skill you have displayed here in carrying out that role, or maybe just delete this thread?
1. I'm not deleting the thread.

2. If you don't like the examples I gave, find me something that you think works. I'll let you know what I think. If you don't like that, you can start your own thread. I'm cool with that.

Those are some great examples, but maybe pick funny/memorable posts instead.
That's ... kind of the point here - to find posts that are both funny and/or will be memorable in the "years from now people will remember it" kind of way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->