GDT: 2019 Grey Cup CHAMPIONS - WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
LaPolice off to Ottawa, so does Buck move up or do we go outside of the org.?,who goes with him, guess we will have to wait on the HC extending

Too bad we lost LaPo, but nice to see him get another HC job

I like Lapo myself, and think he has a good head on his shoulders and is a good football strategist. I think he'll do very well as a head coach, and if I owned a team , I'd think seriously about hiring him.

I wish him all the best, and I think he'll do very well in Ottawa.

Last edited:

boanst

May 25, 2013

I like Lapo myself, and think he has a good head on his shoulders and is a good football strategist. I think he'll do very well as a head coach, and if I owned a team , I'd think seriously about hiring him.

I wish him all the best, and I think he'll do very well in Ottawa.
I think hes the only HC the Bombers have had, other than O'Shea, in the last 20 years to not have most of the fanbase wanting his head.

Reactions: GNP

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Jefferson to work out with the Dolphins. Next year our team is going to look pretty different I suspect.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I think hes the only HC the Bombers have had, other than O'Shea, in the last 20 years to not have most of the fanbase wanting his head.
I liked Berry even know was rumoured to be a 9 to 5 work day HC. Didn’t understand his firing at the time.
I guessing he lost the confidence of his players.
He could be volatile to his players.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I seem to recall the knock on LaPo last time around as a HC was he was a little too much player coach. The team didn’t seem to take him seriously from a discipline and commitment standpoint.
That’s my recollection anyway. Hope he does better this time round.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Good for LaPo.

He was leaving after this year, with all the head coaching vacancies and maybe some hard feelings the Bombers did not allow him to interview for Saskatchewan job last spring.

Jefferson would be a huge loss if he leaves. I wish Willie all the best for him and his family.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Jefferson to work out with the Dolphins. Next year our team is going to look pretty different I suspect.

Hmm, I'd like to see WJ have success in the NFL but I'd also hate to lose him.
At least we managed to win when we had all these great players.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Good for LaPo.

He was leaving after this year, with all the head coaching vacancies and maybe some hard feelings the Bombers did not allow him to interview for Saskatchewan job last spring.

Jefferson would be a huge loss if he leaves. I wish Willie all the best for him and his family.

I wonder how many coaches and players LaPo will lure away.

Bombers need to arrest exodus following LaPolice departure

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I question if Nic Demski is going to end up in the NFL, or if Andrew Harris could play in the NFL because someone told me Demski could.

But also if Matt Nichols or Chris Streveler is our starting QB next year. I imagine both get separate starts and one gets traded for assets to improve the Bombers for a second straight Grey Cup.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Apparently Bombers head of college scouting Ryan Rigmaiden has been offered the Als GM position. Rigmaiden was brought in two years ago after quite a few years in BC. He was apparently instrumental in bringing guys like Winston Rose, Anthony Gaitor, Chandler Fenner, Criag Roh, Alex Ross over from BC. Not sure if college means he works with US colleges or CAN universities or both, but some guys like Marcus Sayles, Mike Jones, Sean McGuire among other had barely or no NFL chances before coming north.

It goes with being a winner. Everyone wants a piece. Hope for the best for him and Lapo in their new jobs (assuming Rigmaiden accepts).

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Argos have fired Corey Chamblin and hired Ryan Dinwiddie as their HC. The Eskimos have hired Scott Milanovich (former Argos HC and was working for NFL's Jaguars).

This means it's 99.999999% Mike O'Shea will be back in Winnipeg next year. All teams except Winnipeg now have a signed HC for next year. O'Shea will re-sign.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'm more worried about players following Rigmaiden than I am with players following LaPo.

I'm not surprised that Chamblin got fired, but I thought the issue with firing him was that they didn't really have room for another head coach under the coaching salary cap.

Dinwiddie going to Toronto might mean that Toronto could be Arbuckle's first choice.

Edit: Also of note that Collaros made it pretty clear that Toronto isn't the only place he's willing to play, but who knows if that's just posturing to keep the interest up.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm more worried about players following Rigmaiden than I am with players following LaPo.

I'm not surprised that Chamblin got fired, but I thought the issue with firing him was that they didn't really have room for another head coach under the coaching salary cap.

Dinwiddie going to Toronto might mean that Toronto could be Arbuckle's first choice.

Edit: Also of note that Collaros made it pretty clear that Toronto isn't the only place he's willing to play, but who knows if that's just posturing to keep the interest up.

Rumour I've heard is that teams have been given 1 exemption for this year for a fired coach. So firing a coach this year since it's year 1 of the coaching cap means you can exempt that payout from your cap going forward. So guys like Chamblin, Claybrooks aren't going to count going forward.

I agree with you regarding Rigmaiden. When we hired Rigmaiden we had at least 5 Lions move over (Rose, Ross, Fenner, Gaitor, Roh) so that makes sense. As champs we will see some losses no doubt. Hopefully we can replace the players well.

Perhaps regarding Arbuckle. I still think Toronto is going to run Collaros-Bethel-Thompson. I'd be shocked if that changes.

This is how I see the year starting out next year.
BC - Reilly
EDM - Harris
CGY - Mitchell
SSK - Fajardo
WPG - Masoli
HAM - Evans
TOR - Collaros
OTT - Arbuckle
MTL - Adams

The rest (Nichols, Streveler, Bethel-Thompson, Jennings, Pipkin, etc) fight for the backup roles. Those are the top 9 CFL QB's.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Perhaps regarding Arbuckle. I still think Toronto is going to run Collaros-Bethel-Thompson. I'd be shocked if that changes.

This is how I see the year starting out next year.
BC - Reilly
EDM - Harris
CGY - Mitchell
SSK - Fajardo
WPG - Masoli
HAM - Evans
TOR - Collaros
OTT - Arbuckle
MTL - Adams

The rest (Nichols, Streveler, Bethel-Thompson, Jennings, Pipkin, etc) fight for the backup roles. Those are the top 9 CFL QB's.

I don't think Collaros to Toronto is set in stone, I think he was Jim Popp's guy. With Pinball getting hired to clean up Popp's mess I wouldn't be surprised if he was more receptive to going with a fresh look in Arbuckle with the advice from his new head coach.

I think we could see something more bizarre like Masoli going back to Hamilton and ending up with something like this
BC - Reilly
CGY - Mitchell
SSK - Fajardo
WPG - Collaros/Streveler
HAM - Masoli/Evans
TOR - Arbuckle
OTT - Nichols (Though I've heard LaPolice was never very keen on Nichols)
MTL - Adams

I'm not sure how Evans would react in a scenario like this though. He's said to the media that he's happy with the situation and wants Masoli back with Hamilton as much as anyone.
I think it would be a bit of a slap in the face after the season Evans had though if Masoli coming back from a severe knee injury came back making double his own salary.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't think Collaros to Toronto is set in stone, I think he was Jim Popp's guy. With Pinball getting hired to clean up Popp's mess I wouldn't be surprised if he was more receptive to going with a fresh look in Arbuckle with the advice from his new head coach.

I think we could see something more bizarre like Masoli going back to Hamilton and ending up with something like this
BC - Reilly
CGY - Mitchell
SSK - Fajardo
WPG - Collaros/Streveler
HAM - Masoli/Evans
TOR - Arbuckle
OTT - Nichols (Though I've heard LaPolice was never very keen on Nichols)
MTL - Adams

I'm not sure how Evans would react in a scenario like this though. He's said to the media that he's happy with the situation and wants Masoli back with Hamilton as much as anyone.
I think it would be a bit of a slap in the face after the season Evans had though if Masoli coming back from a severe knee injury came back making double his own salary.

Evans would demand a trade the second Masoli signed, IMO.

Beyond that it's not that Pinball I think that wants Collaros back. It's Collaros that wants back into the East. His hometown is pretty close to Hamilton/Toronto even Ottawa. He has stated multiple times he likes being back near home. And Toronto I fully would expect to cheap out.

Basically there's 3 teams looking for QB's. It WPG, TOR, OTT. The options available are Arbuckle, Masoli, Nichols, Collaros, Streveler, Bethel-Thompson, Jennings. Two of the 3 are getting legit starters in Masoli and Arbuckle. The other is settling for Collaros/Nichols. I think Toronto will go with the worst starter and best backup approach since Collaros wants to be back in Toronto (best backup is Bethel-Thompson). Then I think WPG gets to choose Arbuckle or Masoli since WPG is a place for ready made winning, whereas in OTT your in a rebuild. I think they would choose Masoli since he is more Collaros than Arbuckle who is more Nichols (strong arm mobile QB v quick hitter pocket passer). Winnipeg then gets Streveler back to contrast Masoli. Then Nichols chooses any of 7 different destinations where he thinks he might get another chance (other than WPG or TOR) where he thinks an injury or inconsistency gives him a chance. He's definitely the best backup option out there.

Also Collaros cost the Bombers a 1st if he were to re-sign. I don't think the Bombers pay that price with Arbuckle and Masoli sitting out there. That changes the equation. It's not Collaros v Arbuckle/Masoli. It's Collaros or Arbuckle/Masoli + Hergy Mayala (CGY 9th overall last year, had great rookie year potential superstar Canadian)/Jackson Bennett (HAM 11th Overall 2018, started at DB and RB in last two years)/Evan Johnson (OTT 9th overall 2017 starting OL). That makes a big difference.

Last edited:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Do you want to play for the defending Grey Cup Champs or a team that is rebuilding playing in front of friends and family (Tor), or a team also rebuilding with a new HC (Ott), Bombers will have the pick of the litter, now sign Osh.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Do you want to play for the defending Grey Cup Champs or a team that is rebuilding playing in front of friends and family (Tor), or a team also rebuilding with a new HC (Ott), Bombers will have the pick of the litter, now sign Osh.

O'Shea should have signed days ago. He just lost all of his negotiating power. All 8 other teams have now firmed up their HC positions. He is now in a situation where he re-signs or takes a demotion on another team. He will be back and cheaper than he would have been 3 days ago.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
O'Shea should have signed days ago. He just lost all of his negotiating power. All 8 other teams have now firmed up their HC positions. He is now in a situation where he re-signs or takes a demotion on another team. He will be back and cheaper than he would have been 3 days ago.

Maybe an agreement is already in place and the Bombers will do multiple announcements, OC, Hall coming back, maybe few of their own free agents.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Maybe an agreement is already in place and the Bombers will do multiple announcements, OC, Hall coming back, maybe few of their own free agents.

I think that's unlikely. I think the Bombers will take care of O'Shea either way but he's lost his negotiating power waiting this long. Of course he has the ultimate negotiating power with winning the GC in this city.

Buck Pierce will be named OC the second O'Shea is re-signed, IMO. Hall might just retire. If he doesn't he will return. Many hate on him, but 39 points allowed in 3 playoff games speaks for itself.

As for FA we'll see. I'm honestly shocked Rose is getting NFL looks but good for him. I don't think Rose or Jefferson will sign down south. Jefferson should have been down south but he's just far too inconsistent. And he's basically too old to latch onto the ends of the roster by now. Rose is a little too small and slow to be a factor down south. He is a very smart player but I don't think that'll be enough (even though it should be) to stick in NFL.

Bombers have already announced several minor signings. Re-signing Mercy Maston, re-adding 2019 TC cut Malik Boynton, adding some new internationals (including a former top college program WR). So I just don't really buy that theory myself. We can hope though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad