GDT: 2019 Grey Cup CHAMPIONS - WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Blue Bomber Grey Cup swag is moving at the speed of light

Seriously they had a huge line at the social tonight. So many people buying Bomber Cup merch, Bombers are cleaning up.

What a great time the social was. All the Bombers were making time for the fans. O'Shea was beyond a champ talking, signing and taking pics from start to when we left at 1130, never stopped, never had the smile leave his face.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Seriously they had a huge line at the social tonight. So many people buying Bomber Cup merch, Bombers are cleaning up.

What a great time the social was. All the Bombers were making time for the fans. O'Shea was beyond a champ talking, signing and taking pics from start to when we left at 1130, never stopped, never had the smile leave his face.

Time to get that extension signed, sounds positive but until the ink is dry.............................................

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Who went to the social tonight? What was the night like?

My buddy is in the band that played. How were they?

It was fairly awesome. 5K+ fans in the Convention centre. The players had their own VIP area but many ventured past that to engage fans. I understand how tough that is for them since they were mobbed when they did by fans, and while I'm sure all want to friendly it takes literally hours of lineups of fans trying to get their attention. Willie, O'Shea, Alexander were the ones I saw ventured out into the fanzone. Even those that didn't go into fan area lots of them were meeting fans around the edges of the VIP area which was just a 3 foot high barrier. I had a nice little chat with Thiadric Hansen and Thomas Miles this way since many players came over and talked to us fans. Willie Jefferson and his wife and daughter were all really engaged with the fans as well. Jeffersson (sp?) spent at least 2 hours on the main area dealing with fans, only went back to "VIP" area when his daughter started to get too tired to deal with his family which is completely understandable. And the biggest takeaway many people had was how cute Willie's daughter is haha. O'Shea was the super star he stayed from 730-1130 and beyond ( i left at 1130) among the fans with 50+ people lining up to meet him at all times. He had a smile and a good word for everyone he could meet, signed anything, talked with everyone, took pictures with everyone. Never took a break, never looked upset by the throngs of fans surrounding him. The reports plus his willingness to engage and what I've heard about him moving his family out here means I have completely changed my opinion. I fully expect him to be back as the HC for quite a while. He seems to have completely embraced this city. Hansen was really great about talking to fans, he still seems somewhat overwhelmed by the love but he handled it well. Coming from a semi-pro league where he worked a regular job on the side (I think he was something like a coal miner last year while playing) it must have been insane to have so many fans wanting to talk to him. Honestly I think my next jersey will be a Hansen #3 jersey, he's a beauty.

As for the band, they were fine but I think the most positive thing I can say is that they understood their audience. Not one single person was there to see them. But they understood that and played into it. They played "We are the Champions" multiple times, they started "O'Shea, O'Shea, O'Shea" chants, and just fed the crowd. Honestly myself like most weren't really paying attention to them but they did a good job playing to their audience.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well I spent 250$ on 2019 Grey Cup Champion Swag. I've cried, I've celebrated, I've gotten the memories. Now that the social is done, it's time to look forward. Time to repeat, this time in Sask where we can destroy those cousin loving banjo picking inbreds.

Problem is that I've seen conflicting reports about who is and isn't a FA. Literally the only one I am 100% about is Thiadric Hansen who told me to my face that he is already signed for next year.

However these guys I'm pretty sure are signed for next year.
QB Sean McGuire (I) — 2020
RB Andrew Harris (N) — 2020
RB Brady Oliveira (N) — 2021
FB Mike Miller (N) — 2020
FB John Rush (N) — 2020
REC Rasheed Bailey (I) — 2020
REC Nic Demski (N) — 2020
REC Kenny Lawler (I) — 2020
REC Daniel Petermann (N) — 2020
REC Lucky Whitehead (I) — 2020
OL Drew Desjarlais (N) — 2021
OL Tui Eli (N) — 2020
OL Geoff Gray (N) — 2020
OL Cody Speller (N) — 2020
DL Thiadric Hansen (G) — 2020
DL Jackson Jeffcoat (I) — 2020
DL Steven Richardson (I) — 2020
DL Jonathan Kongbo (N) — 2021
LB Adam Bighill (I) — 2021
LB Jesse Briggs (N) — 2020
LB Shayne Gauthier (N) — 2020
LB Kyrie Wilson (I) — 2020
DB Brandon Alexander (I) — 2020
DB Kerfalla Emmanuel Exumé (N) — 2020
DB Nick Hallett (N) — 2020
DB Mike Jones (I) — 2020
RET Janarion Grant (I) — 2020
K/P Justin Medlock (I) — 2020
LS Chad Rempel (N) — 2020

These guys I'm sure are UFA:
QB Zach Collaros
QB Chris Streveler
RB Johnny Augustine
WR Darvin Adams
WR Drew Wolitarsky
C Michael Couture
LG Patrick Neufeld
LT Stanley Bryant
RT Jamarcus Hardrick
DE Willie Jeferson
DE Craig Roh
DT Drake Nevis
DT Jake Thomas
LB Korey Jones
LB Thomas Miles
DB Chandler Fenner
S Jeff Hecht
S Derek Jones
LB Mercy Maston
CB Winston Rose
HB Marcus Sayles
HB Nick Taylor

Guys that no one seems to know for sure:
QB Matt Nichols

Overall it sets the Bombers up pretty well.

I few key players need raises and should be retained. However these following players won't have super massive raises based on what they were paid last year.
DE Willie Jefferson
CB Winston Rose
WR Darvin Adams
RT Jamarcus Hardrick
LG Patrick Neufeld
DT Drake Nevis

Jefferson and Rose were already near the max that their respective positions can pay for internationals. They are both superstars but I just don't see how any other teams could afford to substantially outbid the Bombers for their services and I think they'll take a Bombers offer to stay where they know they are appreciated. Hardrick, Nevis, Neufeld, Adams, Bryant are all solid players but again I don't see the market massively outbidding the lure to stay where they are comfortable and appreciated. All in this group were already making solid dollars, the only that might get a real big raise is Rose.

Questionable Re-Sign's based on depth
RB Johnny Augustine
WR Drew Wolitarsky
C Michael Couture
DE Craig Roh

Augustine, IMO, will seek a starting role at RB elsewhere. And I don't blame him. He's an absolute stud at RB. If Harris for some reason retires we will retain him, otherwise I think the Bombers hope that Oliveira recovers to 100% since they see him as the RB of the future. Augustine is a starting calibre RB but needs a chance where he's not buried behind the best RB in the league. Couture might be a cap casualty if they feel Speller's cup run shows he can play C. With Desjarlais, Neufeld, and Gray at G they can go cheaper at C with Speller with plenty of depth still at G. Wolitarsky I'm not sure about but I think the Bombers still love Demski and believe in Petermann as a starter. So rather than give Wolitarsky a big pay day they might try to draft a guy to go behind Demski and Petermann. Roh is a guy I personally love and I think he fills a very key role, but if they get Jefferson back to go along with Jeffcoat, Kongbo, and Hansen I'm not sure they will be able to afford another relatively expensive international DE. I'm really hoping they find room for Roh but I just can't see it if they sign Jeferson which I think they will.

Big Raises Not Sure Bombers can afford
HB Marcus Sayles
HB Nick Taylor
LB Mercy Maston

Taylor and Maston are hard to read. Both are basically journeymen that stepped up beyond huge in the big moments last year. I don't know for sure, but I feel like they were not paid much last year being mid-season guys to bring in. Sayles is coming off his rookie deal. I think all 3 will need big raises to retain. At best I think the Bombers can retain 1 of these 3. As a fan my preference is Taylor for his personality, but looking objectively it might be Sayles for his coverage skills.

Depth/Special Teamers to retain
LB Thomas Miles
DT Jake Thomas
S Jeff Hecht

Solid veterans that likely don't need a raise. Keep em all.

Move on from
DB Chandler Fenner
LB Korey Jones
S Derek Jones

Fenner faded out as the year wore on (was he injured?) He was a mid-range at least paid player and should free up some money. He will likely land as a solid reclamation project somewhere, I think he still has a few years of CFL usefulness but not a fit here. K. Jones I honestly don't remember anything from. Derek Jones has shown very useful on ST and played plenty of defensive snaps, but he could never take the step into starter. He is a tools no toolbox guy, IMO, but I think some other team might take a chance on Derek Jones as a starting S.

QB's
QB Matt Nichols
QB Zach Collaros
QB Chris Streveler

Is Nichols a FA? No one seems to know. Either way I think it might be time to move on. If he is signed for next year you keep him until you know your getting Masoli or Arbuckle. We should easily be able to land one of those two as I've explained in depth in many posts leading up to GC. Once we do you release Nichols. I think we bring back Streveler as a 1B in a similar role as this year behind Collaros. I doubt any team gives Streveler a starting role, as Hustler says I think an NFL team poaching Streveler in a Taysom Hill role is far more likely than a CFL team offering Streveler a starting role. IMO Collaros is heading back to Toronto no matter what.

Overall I feel very confident that will have a great team next year as well. Walters has plenty of balls in the air, but so do 8 other teams in the CFL. It should be an interesting off-season. Can't wait for camp to open next year!

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Well I spent 250$ on 2019 Grey Cup Champion Swag. I've cried, I've celebrated, I've gotten the memories. Now that the social is done, it's time to look forward. Time to repeat, this time in Sask where we can destroy those cousin loving banjo picking inbreds.

Problem is that I've seen conflicting reports about who is and isn't a FA. Literally the only one I am 100% about is Thiadric Hansen who told me to my face that he is already signed for next year.

However these guys I'm pretty sure are signed for next year.
QB Sean McGuire (I) — 2020
RB Andrew Harris (N) — 2020
RB Brady Oliveira (N) — 2021
FB Mike Miller (N) — 2020
FB John Rush (N) — 2020
REC Rasheed Bailey (I) — 2020
REC Nic Demski (N) — 2020
REC Kenny Lawler (I) — 2020
REC Daniel Petermann (N) — 2020
REC Lucky Whitehead (I) — 2020
OL Drew Desjarlais (N) — 2021
OL Tui Eli (N) — 2020
OL Geoff Gray (N) — 2020
OL Cody Speller (N) — 2020
DL Thiadric Hansen (G) — 2020
DL Jackson Jeffcoat (I) — 2020
DL Steven Richardson (I) — 2020
DL Jonathan Kongbo (N) — 2021
LB Adam Bighill (I) — 2021
LB Jesse Briggs (N) — 2020
LB Shayne Gauthier (N) — 2020
LB Kyrie Wilson (I) — 2020
DB Brandon Alexander (I) — 2020
DB Kerfalla Emmanuel Exumé (N) — 2020
DB Nick Hallett (N) — 2020
DB Mike Jones (I) — 2020
RET Janarion Grant (I) — 2020
K/P Justin Medlock (I) — 2020
LS Chad Rempel (N) — 2020

These guys I'm sure are UFA:
QB Zach Collaros
QB Chris Streveler
RB Johnny Augustine
WR Darvin Adams
WR Drew Wolitarsky
C Michael Couture
LG Patrick Neufeld
LT Stanley Bryant
RT Jamarcus Hardrick
DE Willie Jeferson
DE Craig Roh
DT Drake Nevis
DT Jake Thomas
LB Korey Jones
LB Thomas Miles
DB Chandler Fenner
S Jeff Hecht
S Derek Jones
LB Mercy Maston
CB Winston Rose
HB Marcus Sayles
HB Nick Taylor

Guys that no one seems to know for sure:
QB Matt Nichols

Overall it sets the Bombers up pretty well.

I few key players need raises and should be retained. However these following players won't have super massive raises based on what they were paid last year.
DE Willie Jefferson
CB Winston Rose
WR Darvin Adams
RT Jamarcus Hardrick
LG Patrick Neufeld
DT Drake Nevis

Jefferson and Rose were already near the max that their respective positions can pay for internationals. They are both superstars but I just don't see how any other teams could afford to substantially outbid the Bombers for their services and I think they'll take a Bombers offer to stay where they know they are appreciated. Hardrick, Nevis, Neufeld, Adams, Bryant are all solid players but again I don't see the market massively outbidding the lure to stay where they are comfortable and appreciated. All in this group were already making solid dollars, the only that might get a real big raise is Rose.

Questionable Re-Sign's based on depth
RB Johnny Augustine
WR Drew Wolitarsky
C Michael Couture
DE Craig Roh

Augustine, IMO, will seek a starting role at RB elsewhere. And I don't blame him. He's an absolute stud at RB. If Harris for some reason retires we will retain him, otherwise I think the Bombers hope that Oliveira recovers to 100% since they see him as the RB of the future. Augustine is a starting calibre RB but needs a chance where he's not buried behind the best RB in the league. Couture might be a cap casualty if they feel Speller's cup run shows he can play C. With Desjarlais, Neufeld, and Gray at G they can go cheaper at C with Speller with plenty of depth still at G. Wolitarsky I'm not sure about but I think the Bombers still love Demski and believe in Petermann as a starter. So rather than give Wolitarsky a big pay day they might try to draft a guy to go behind Demski and Petermann. Roh is a guy I personally love and I think he fills a very key role, but if they get Jefferson back to go along with Jeffcoat, Kongbo, and Hansen I'm not sure they will be able to afford another relatively expensive international DE. I'm really hoping they find room for Roh but I just can't see it if they sign Jeferson which I think they will.

Big Raises Not Sure Bombers can afford
HB Marcus Sayles
HB Nick Taylor
LB Mercy Maston

Taylor and Maston are hard to read. Both are basically journeymen that stepped up beyond huge in the big moments last year. I don't know for sure, but I feel like they were not paid much last year being mid-season guys to bring in. Sayles is coming off his rookie deal. I think all 3 will need big raises to retain. At best I think the Bombers can retain 1 of these 3. As a fan my preference is Taylor for his personality, but looking objectively it might be Sayles for his coverage skills.

Depth/Special Teamers to retain
LB Thomas Miles
DT Jake Thomas
S Jeff Hecht

Solid veterans that likely don't need a raise. Keep em all.

Move on from
DB Chandler Fenner
LB Korey Jones
S Derek Jones

Fenner faded out as the year wore on (was he injured?) He was a mid-range at least paid player and should free up some money. He will likely land as a solid reclamation project somewhere, I think he still has a few years of CFL usefulness but not a fit here. K. Jones I honestly don't remember anything from. Derek Jones has shown very useful on ST and played plenty of defensive snaps, but he could never take the step into starter. He is a tools no toolbox guy, IMO, but I think some other team might take a chance on Derek Jones as a starting S.

QB's
QB Matt Nichols
QB Zach Collaros
QB Chris Streveler

Is Nichols a FA? No one seems to know. Either way I think it might be time to move on. If he is signed for next year you keep him until you know your getting Masoli or Arbuckle. We should easily be able to land one of those two as I've explained in depth in many posts leading up to GC. Once we do you release Nichols. I think we bring back Streveler as a 1B in a similar role as this year behind Collaros. I doubt any team gives Streveler a starting role, as Hustler says I think an NFL team poaching Streveler in a Taysom Hill role is far more likely than a CFL team offering Streveler a starting role. IMO Collaros is heading back to Toronto no matter what.

Overall I feel very confident that will have a great team next year as well. Walters has plenty of balls in the air, but so do 8 other teams in the CFL. It should be an interesting off-season. Can't wait for camp to open next year!
I have only heard Nichols is a FA. Where are you hearing he isn’t?

He signed a 3 year contract going into the 2017 season.
https://3downnation.com/2017/01/19/matt-nichols-signs-3-year-extension-bombers-means/

No extension as of October 1st, 2019.
https://3downnation.com/2019/10/01/bombers-matt-nichols-discussed-extension-prior-to-2019-season/

“Tried to get something done before the season, the CBA played into some of that. We’re in-season right now, it’s not really the time to get into much of that talk,” Nichols said.
“We’ll have plenty of time here once the season ends to get into those talks. I love it here, I’d love to be back. But we’ll see how it all plays out.”

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I have only heard Nichols is a FA. Where are you hearing he isn’t?

He signed a 3 year contract going into the 2017 season.
https://3downnation.com/2017/01/19/matt-nichols-signs-3-year-extension-bombers-means/

No extension as of October 1st, 2019.
https://3downnation.com/2019/10/01/bombers-matt-nichols-discussed-extension-prior-to-2019-season/

“Tried to get something done before the season, the CBA played into some of that. We’re in-season right now, it’s not really the time to get into much of that talk,” Nichols said.
“We’ll have plenty of time here once the season ends to get into those talks. I love it here, I’d love to be back. But we’ll see how it all plays out.”

Not listed under CFL list of UFA. CFL reporters have been inconsistent in reporting whether he is UFA or not.

None

Feb 22, 2012
It means very little but from what I'd heard Nichols was offered an extension at the end of the 2018 season and beginning of the 2019 season with similar terms that he has now. The assumed issue was that Nichols wanted a less incentive laden contract without as many performance bonuses and more money up front as opposed to his current (and offered) deal that's somewhere around 400k plus up to around 125k in performance bonuses (primarily tied to games played I think).

I think my opinion on what the Bombers should do at QB aligns with most here. I'd look at the outside options available in the offseason, primarily Arbuckle and Masoli with Streveler brought back as backup to continue developing.
My reasoning for looking elsewhere is because I don't think we'd have won with Nichols if he didn't go into the playoffs 100% healthy. I think Nichols and Collaros are interchangeable when both are healthy, but I'm not confident that either can stay healthy enough over an entire season. I think it was a boon to get an insurance policy at QB in Collaros who came in completely healthy.

There's risks involved with all of the potential QBs this offseason. With Nichols it's whether he can get back to where he was after a serious injury to his throwing arm, Masoli tore up his knee on his plant leg, and Arbuckle's performance might have been a flash in the pan.

This offseason should be pretty interesting, the team could look pretty different with roster turnover.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It means very little but from what I'd heard Nichols was offered an extension at the end of the 2018 season and beginning of the 2019 season with similar terms that he has now. The assumed issue was that Nichols wanted a less incentive laden contract without as many performance bonuses and more money up front as opposed to his current (and offered) deal that's somewhere around 400k plus up to around 125k in performance bonuses (primarily tied to games played I think).

I think my opinion on what the Bombers should do at QB aligns with most here. I'd look at the outside options available in the offseason, primarily Arbuckle and Masoli with Streveler brought back as backup to continue developing.
My reasoning for looking elsewhere is because I don't think we'd have won with Nichols if he didn't go into the playoffs 100% healthy. I think Nichols and Collaros are interchangeable when both are healthy, but I'm not confident that either can stay healthy enough over an entire season. I think it was a boon to get an insurance policy at QB in Collaros who came in completely healthy.

There's risks involved with all of the potential QBs this offseason. With Nichols it's whether he can get back to where he was after a serious injury to his throwing arm, Masoli tore up his knee on his plant leg, and Arbuckle's performance might have been a flash in the pan.

This offseason should be pretty interesting, the team could look pretty different with roster turnover.

I don't think Arbuckle's performance is a flash in the pan --either you have that touch or you don't, and he has it. That doesn't mean he'll turn out great, but at the worst you'd get a young guy that will at least be a middle of the road QB, and at best a star QB in the CFL. This guy is good.

I wonder if Nichols is signed for the 2,020 season ? or was he not signed yet ? I'm not quite sure what I'd do with Nichols, although I know what most Bomber fans on here would do with him. We were 7-2 with him at QB, and he's a pretty good QB IMO. We would have won the Cup with him as QB as well, because it was the defense and the play of Harris that won us that game.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

I don't think Arbuckle's performance is a flash in the pan --either you have that touch or you don't, and he has it. That doesn't mean he'll turn out great, but at the worst you'd get a young guy that will at least be a middle of the road QB, and at best a star QB in the CFL. This guy is good.

I wonder if Nichols is signed for the 2,020 season ? or was he not signed yet ? I'm not quite sure what I'd do with Nichols, although I know what most Bomber fans on here would do with him. We were 7-2 with him at QB, and he's a pretty good QB IMO. We would have won the Cup with him as QB as well, because it was the defense and the play of Harris that won us that game.
I think Arbuckle can be the real deal. With team like we will have next season he can be very successful.
Nichols is for sure set ti be a FA as if now.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
“Maybe the best week of my life,” Streveler told the Winnipeg Sun on Monday. “A crazy whirlwind. Getting to spend so much time with fans and see how much this means to them. And spending so much time with teammates – it’s just been unbelievable. I mean, so many events around the city. And just to see everybody’s reaction, it’s been honestly unbelievable.”

‘The best week of my life’: Bombers’ Streveler on the fun, the fashion and the future

Reactions: jungles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad