GDT: 2019 Free Agent Frenzy - NON PENGUIN RELATED THREAD

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
There's no trade. Aho gets that contract period. Only question is who pays it.

And the worst case is that CAR drags it out so MON can't do anything else for 7 days. Just a stupid move all around on Bergevin's part.

I know he gets the contract but i thought they could negotiate the compensation aspect?

Am i wrong on that?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Beaulieu was signed for 1 mil 1 year. That’s a good deal for the Jets.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He’s better then JJ too..not saying much, I know, but I thought we should have looked at him when he wasn’t tendered...

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
Such a quiet day in the NHL. Not sure if it's trades or RFAs holding up the rest of UFA market. Gardiner, Dzingel, Ferland, and Johansson amongst those still available.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Such a quiet day in the NHL. Not sure if it's trades or RFAs holding up the rest of UFA market. Gardiner, Dzingel, Ferland, and Johansson amongst those still available.

I feel like Ferland and Dzingle are asking for to much money right now and I feel like Johansson would be the guy teams turn to if Ferland and Dzingle don’t lower their asking prices in a few days. The Gardiner one surprises me as well, especially because of the lack of good defenseman available.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ferland, Gardiner and Johannson are all guys with injury questions

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I am surprised Ferland is still out there. I like that guy too.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Have the officially matched? I know they stated their intention but I figured Carolina was going to draw it out the full week to screw Montreal as much as possible.

Though I confess I want Carolina to reject it right away so Bergevin can have a go at Provorov, Point, Laine, whoever :laugh: get it over with man.

Yeah it’s official. I don’t think they would have cared too much since it wasn’t really a genuine attempt. Canes had 20 mil in cap space and its a fair deal.

I mean they missed out on trying to get a better contract end date (RFA status finishes at the end of this) and better bonus structure but Aho must have felt that part of the negotiation needed a kick in the pants.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

I think they're okay for now?

Yeah they look fine for this year and will be able to get Marner sorted. They probably are just more negotiating on the terms of the deal (bonus, NMC, NTC etc)

I imagine AAV and years are pretty close at this stage.

Next year only Reilly is signed on D but they have a year and Dubas seems like he can handle the task. He’ll be working on that all year.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Am I missing some thing about the TML cap situation? I didn’t understand the Ceci QO, but are they now home free because of LTIRs? I knew about Horton but who else are they going to put in cold storage?

And to think he cost them a 6th rounder to pick up. At the time that smacked of the kind of bargain bin D pickup we would’ve made these last few years, but for the bloated, expensive D corps we already had to contend with.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Am I missing some thing about the TML cap situation? I didn’t understand the Ceci QO, but are they now home free because of LTIRs? I knew about Horton but who else are they going to put in cold storage?

I haven't looked too much into it, but from what I gathered:

• Toronto gained a bunch of cap space through trades
  • Horton will go to LTIR but he needs to be part of the "official" starting roster
  • This means he eats up a roster space for the time being and will likely be replaced by an NHL/AHL tweener in season (no biggie)
  • On CapFriendly, one of their forwards will likely be sent to the AHL to accommodate this
  • With this ~$700k savings (player going to AHL), Horton ($5.3M), and their current cap space ($3.77M) they can likely sign Marner

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I haven't looked too much into it, but from what I gathered:

• Toronto gained a bunch of cap space through trades
  • Horton will go to LTIR but he needs to be part of the "official" starting roster
  • This means he eats up a roster space for the time being and will likely be replaced by an NHL/AHL tweener in season (no biggie)
  • On CapFriendly, one of their forwards will likely be sent to the AHL to accommodate this
  • With this ~$700k savings (player going to AHL), Horton ($5.3M), and their current cap space ($3.77M) they can likely sign Marner

They have 2 more players potentially go on LTIR but they’re different to Horton because they’ll be back soon. Hyman and Dermott are those players and their combined AAV is 3 mil.

Looks like they are vulnerable still to an offer sheet if Marner is willing to sign one.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad